Favourite National Anthem

Which Country has the best National Anthem?

• USA (Star spangled banner)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canada (O Canada)

• Great Britain (God Save the Queen)

• Italy (Inno di Mameli)

• Australia (Advance Australia Fair)

• France (Les Marseilles)

• Other (Please State)

• Total voters
When watching sporting events, you may come across an anthem which really feels inspirational. Ignoring your patriotic stance of your own country, which anthem from the list (or if not from the list) is your favourite. By all means vote for your own if you think it is better then the others but try and ignore your nationalism in favour of good music.

I found a site with all the National Anthems on it so if you're not sure check it out.

http://www.mayasite.net/MIDI/Atlas/worldlst.html

Well of course i'm going to say Canada has the best anthem because hey "I AM CANADIAN"!!!!! :rock:

GUNNER

For me, there were four possible choices, USA, Germany, Australia and Italy. I then managed to wittle it down to USA and Italy. Both America's and Italy's anthems are inspiring and decent pieces of music but I thought that the Star Spangled Banner was more sustained than its Italien counterpart.

Either America's or Cuba's you know Row Row Row your boat Cuban refugees, if you paddle fast enough you'll make it to the Keys. :D

You know what sounds inspiring?

Soy'ooz neroosh'imi resp'ooblik svob'odnikh...

In English it sounds just as inspiring.

Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,
Great Russia has welded forever to stand.
Created in struggle by will of the people,
United and mighty, our Soviet land!

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,
Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.
O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have
cheered us,
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead.
To a righteous cause he raised up the peoples,
Inspired them to labor and valorous deed.
[Or, the old way:
Be true to the people, thus Stalin has reared us,
Inspire us to labor and valorous deed!]

In the vict'ry of Communism's deathless ideal,
We see the future of our dear land.
And to her fluttering scarlet banner,
Selflessly true we always shall stand!

The irony is so thick you couldn't cut it with a knife, but you gotta admit it does sound good.

FutureRANGER said:
You know what sounds inspiring?

Soy'ooz neroosh'imi resp'ooblik svob'odnikh...

In English it sounds just as inspiring.

cheered us,
[Or, the old way:

The irony is so thick you couldn't cut it with a knife, but you gotta admit it does sound good.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Star Spangled Banner! Of course! :D
O say can You see.....

Uncle_Sam said:
FutureRANGER said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Star Spangled Banner! Of course! :D
O say can You see.....

here here, couldnt have said it better myself :cheers:

England Expects (RAF Cdt) said:
For me, there were four possible choices, USA, Germany, Australia and Italy. I then managed to wittle it down to USA and Italy. Both America's and Italy's anthems are inspiring and decent pieces of music but I thought that the Star Spangled Banner was more sustained than its Italien counterpart.

Doh ! :lol: Nulli secundus you're right :lol: about if you paddle fast enough you'll make it to the Keys 8)
Cuba's anthem sounds so ironic -

Why not just ask what country are you from? Honestly, how many people can claim to know another nations national anthem? I know the Canadian anthem because of watching Hockey games, and I know the UK's from watchinb Black Sheep Squadron on the History Channel.

anthems

i'd have to say australias unofficial national anthem "waltzing matilda"
:D
we only have advance australia fair because the british gave us the choice of voting on that or god save the queen ;)

FutureRANGER said:

cheered us,
[Or, the old way:

Ah! I can't believe I converted someone to listen to the Soviet national anthem! It's a great song to listen to, in Russian especially. (PS, if that's it's russian name, thanks for informing me)

Yes, the irony in it (with Stalin) is very thick. Then again, no more ironic then the American one.

As far as it goes, I agree with FutureRANGER for the Soviet national anthem being the best. I would put the La Marseillaise in tie with it, since I find it's extremely good. I'd rank Canada's as second, since it's not the best but still good.

BUSH MUSKETEER WROTE

we only have advance australia fair because the british gave us the choice of voting on that or god save the queen

The quest for an Australian national anthem continued. In a 1974 public opinion poll, which sampled an estimated 60 000 people, three songs were offered for choice: ‘Advance Australia Fair', ‘Waltzing Matilda' and ‘Song of Australia'. ‘Advance Australia Fair' polled 51.4 per cent. Following this result the then Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, announced that ‘Advance Australia Fair' would be the national anthem, except on specifically Royal occasions, when both it and ‘God Save the Queen' would be played.
In 1976, after a change of government, ‘God Save the Queen' was reinstated for Royal, vice-regal, defence and loyal toast occasions, with ‘Advance Australia Fair' to be played on all other official occasions.
In May 1977, however, a national poll was conducted to ascertain the public choice of a national song. This time over seven million people were issued with ballot papers. The results were: ‘Advance Australia Fair' 43.2 per cent, ‘Waltzing Matilda' 28.3 per cent, ‘God Save the Queen' 18.7 per cent and ‘Song of Australia' 9.6 per cent.
In April 1984 the Governor-General issued a proclamation declaring that ‘God Save the Queen' was designated the Royal Anthem, to be played at public engagements in Australia attended by the Queen or members of the Royal family. ‘Advance Australia Fair' was finally declared to be the national anthem, and non-sexist words adopted.
Usually ‘God Save the Queen' is played at the start of Royal functions and ‘Advance Australia Fair' at the end, unless it is more appropriate to play both anthems at the start.

But I do like the anthem of the USA.[/b

FutureRANGER said:
Then again, no more ironic then the American one.

Yea I'm just looking for a fight.

Care to show me an example of irony in our National Anthem? Just one?

Hrrmmm, so I remember it a little differently then the first time I read it. It's not very ironic, just very resentful.

The only phrase I can find ironic now is this one "Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution."

That's only considering how America's buissnesses pollute.

I've heard it for the first time fully sung today. . . I can say I do hate the way it's sung. And the lyrics should be re written to be accurate. . .

PS. For those of you who don't know, there's about 8 versions of the Canadian national anthem rolling about, in both languages. The two showns there, one being the techno like remix done recently, and the other being the female orchestra are actually quite bad.

There are also three national Anthems for France floating around. According to me, this one, sung by Edith Piaf is the best, but that one incomplete. Here's the complete one. http://www.geocities.com/GADefence/France.zip

There are also three versions of the Russian national anthem, those two are bad. Here's the best one. http://www.geocities.com/GADefence/RedArmyChoir.zip

Well I love the way its written and the way its sung, as do most Americans.

And about the line you cited, it does not mean literal polluition as carbon-dioxide in the air ect. Let's go over that stanza.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The band he is talking about, who swore that the Americans would lose the war (lines 2 & 3) are the British. The blood the British shed during the Revolution, at the hand of the Americans, washed away their marks on America, or their "foul footstep's pollution"

:D

I'm gonna go listen to the Canadian National Anthem now.

Sincerely, FutureRANGER :)

P.S. GADefence, do you recomend any specific version I should listen to?

Back