Favorite Wheel Guns

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I have to say, I have thing for revolvers, the fact you only have 5 to 9 (most I have seen in a wheel gun) catches my imagination.

You are forced to use accuracy a little more than semi auto wielding shooters may have to.

Not calling anyone here a bad shot, just asking.

What is your favorite wheel gun? Just post it's caliber manufacutuer or where it's from and as much info as you please as you wish after that.

Me, I love the S&W 1876 Model No. 3 "Russian" Model, more commonly known as the Schofield, (.45 Cal, or even called .45 Schofield)named after the 10th Calavary U.S. Army Officer who requested a top break type revovler similar to the No.3 Model already in production at the start of decade.

After making some of his own modifcations, for what he saw fit for calvary service, S&W took note and produced it, and made over 9,000 7 inch barrel beauties, even sold a modified verision to the Russian Army, (beautiful extended trigger gaurd piece).

From the top break action to the shell extractors, I love this thing, and once I turn 21 you can be I am applying for a permit.

One thing I will not do however, is put freaking polymer finish on it.....Why would you buy a piece of history then "modernize" it is beyond me....

But who else out there has a favorite?

Love to hear your thoughts on the matter,

Thanks,

Yo

Last edited:
While both are #3s, the Russian & Schofield are diffrent sub models. I wouldn't mind having a collection of #3s, SAA, and Merwin & Hulbert wheel guns. Like the Cimmaron New Thunderer.

Either a Smith & Wesson Model 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt

12135-MGRight.JPG

or a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .45 Colt

fa45o3pu.jpg

Both are great modern design guns in a classic 100% American cartridge.

I have a good number of wheel guns and I still carry a wheel gun (S&W Model 642 .30 Special +P) as a back up revolver in this day and age.

I don't feel under armed with a single action revolver nor a double action. I carry a Semi-Auto daily as my primary but with a good wheel gun you can still fight well. A revolver is not more accurate then a semi-auto or vise versa. It's not the gun that is the weapon. It's the user's mind..... the gun is simply the tool. Know it's faults and abilities and you will make it home.

As for a No.3 Russian.... Love the No.3.... hate the Russian version of it. The Czarist Army destroyed the ergonomics of that revolver with their design inputs. But that's what they wanted so S&W made them that way.

The S&W Top breaks are the reason that .45 Colt is called .45 Long Colt. US Cavalry wanted a better handgun. The S&W was it, problem was it's .45 Schofield was shorter in length then the .45 Colt. So you could not load the .45 Colt into a S&W top break. In the 1880s the US Army developed the M1887 round at Frankford Arsenal which was actually the .45 Schofield. This solved supply problems since it could be fired in both the Colt 1873s and the 8,000 S&W No.3 Americans that the US Army purchased in 1879.

So in all actuality, the ".45" of the West for the US Army was the .45 Schofield and not the .45 Colt. It's just that the Colt 1873 was purchased in larger numbers by the US Government. The S&W No.3 American was very popular with private purchase for Officers and enlisted personnel along with civilians and criminals. Billy the Kid actually used a S&W No.3 American and was very fond of the design along with the Colt 1877 Thunderer which was chambered in .41 Colt.

Ruger Blackhawk in 357. is nice. But for personal defense I like that new Taurus Judge that fires in 45. long colt and can also fire 410. shotgun shells.

As for black powder my favorite is the 1851 Confederate adopted Navy .44 caliber revolvers, owing most of it's design to the famous 1848 Colt Dragoon. But during the American Civil War, what set these apart from other revolvers was that the Confederacy was lacking in steel, so used a brass housing for the cylinder and barrel assembly.

What I admire for black powders is that with a simple melting kit and a flame you can make your own ammuntion.:smile:

Ruger Blackhawk in 357. is nice. But for personal defense I like that new Taurus Judge that fires in 45. long colt and can also fire 410. shotgun shells.

Can I sell you a bridge in NYC?

The Taurus Judge is a poorly designed firearm and .410 is a poor man stopper out of a handgun.

Box 'O Truth - Taurus Judge Review

Click that link and get an understanding why .410 Gauge out of a revolver sucks. Also it ruins a .45 Colt Revolver in terms of accuracy. The rifling in the Taurus Judge is not deep so it kills accuracy for a solid round like .45 Colt. That is done to reduce the spiral effect that rifling has to shot patterns.

.410 snubs always seemed like toys to me.

(PLEASE do NOT take me serious and hurt yourself).:shoothea:

Last edited:
.410 snubs always seemed like toys to me.

(PLEASE to NOT take me serious and hurt yourself).:shoothea:

Can I sell you a bridge in NYC?

The Taurus Judge is a poorly designed firearm and .410 is a poor man stopper out of a handgun.

Box 'O Truth - Taurus Judge Review

Click that link and get an understanding why .410 Gauge out of a revolver sucks. Also it ruins a .45 Colt Revolver in terms of accuracy. The rifling in the Taurus Judge is not deep so it kills accuracy for a solid round like .45 Colt. That is done to reduce the spiral effect that rifling has to shot patterns.
Might be usefull in your tool/fishing box if you have lots of snakes around, but not really a serious self defence item.

My Bluetick killed a cottomouth at our pond yesterday,

So much for using the .410 for serpent control.

Then again, a wheel gun doesn't howl at trains at 3 a.m. either.....

Back