Favorite War Movie?

GuyontheRight

Whats your favorite war/historical movie?

Mines gotta be The Thin Red Line, am Im not really sure why. Its combination of action, and human emotions I guess really interested me.

Hmmmmm, very interesting question..

It's really hard to pick one favorite movie.

I think I have to pick two: "Apocalypse now" (the extended version) and "Full Metal Jacket".
None of those movies does glorify War.
And they do have that interresting combination of action and human emotions too.

And I have to pick one more, not a complete movie,
but the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".. :m16shoot: :biggun:
It's just awesome on a big screen TV and a good surround system... :m16:

without a doubt, Tears of the Sun

and by the way, did anyone else want to ring that skinny little bastard's neck in Saving Private Ryan? damn, i can't stand that little coward, and then at the end he shoots an unarmed man, like that's supposed to redeem him or something.

I heard that movie wasn't very good, like it combined an action thriller with a anti-war message, at least it's what I read on amazon.com. Please tell me this isnt the case!

i didn't see any message like that. it was all action, not very insightful, but it sure as hell was entertaining, pretty much showcased the skills of our SF.

Hmm, I just saw it last night, and it wasn't all action from my position. It really mad me upset, because the ethnic cleansing in Nigeria and Africa is really happening, and the movie also shows some of the political aspects around the situation. Id say it's fairly thought provoking.

I liked tears of the sun, very good, a lot of thought provoking messages there, the inital tatics at the end when they got ambushed were great!

You should watch The Deep D_Plus_One, it's a submarine ghost movie.

On the whole thought-provoking factor in movies, I really don't pay much attention to any deeper significance to a movie, I don't watch them for intellectual stimulation, only for entertainment. When I want to think, I read. Haha I guess growing up without a television kind of keeps warps your abilities in that respect, or maybe that's just me.

must it be a movie

what about the mini for HBO " Band of Brothers"

that was the best thing i have ever seen

its about easy company 506 101 air born ( same divsion my grampah served in wwII)

also we were soilders

Band of Brothers was great, I especially liked the sniper character. :D
Overall I think the job that movie did in developing characters is one of the best Ive seen in a war movie.

Thanks for the tip about The Deep I am always looking for good sub movies, they just don't make enough anymore.

I also thought Band of Brothers was great - I live in University Residence, and during exams we are going to watch it all on the big projectors in one of the classrooms - should be awesome.

I like We were soldiers no really reason.. except for the fact that it's gory and it also has a great deal about the women who were left behind

Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Patton, U-571, Hunt for Red October, and Starship Troopers(it's futuristic war so I think it counts)

i personally choose three. one being Crimson Tide. (sub movie for you sub fans). it has action and intelligence with good political points.

Courage Under Fire is another one-and yet another denzel movie. i like the character meg ryan plays-prolly b/c i'm just like her.

last but not least, Black Hawk Down. i love that one for some reason. i catch different things each time.

Back