Favorite War Movie?

I have a lot of favorites. Here are some in no particular order:

Band of Brothers- Even though it is a mini series, but it's greatness qualifies it to be listed. Haha.

Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers (I really want to read the book too)
The Great Escape
Stalag 17 (If you like The Great Escape, you will like this)
The Big Red One
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Enemy at the Gates
The Dirty Dozen
The Longest Day
To Hell and Back
Von Ryan's Express
Apocalypse Now
The Devil's Brigade
A Bridge Too Far
The Bridge at Remagen
The Boys in Company C (I'm disappointed that it hasn't been released on DVD)

A very good low budget film is "Tigerland." I bought it for 5 bucks and wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was stunning. I highly recommend it.

I've also seen parts of "The Lost Battalion" on A&E, and they were great. I really want to see the whole thing. I also would like to see "The Bridge on the River Kwai." Anybody seen either of these movies?

OK, so maybe I got a little too carried away on my list, but war films are my favorite.

Sorry to get a little off subject, but a very good book that I've read is "Blood on the Risers" by John Leppelman. It is about his three tours in Vietnam. One, with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, another as an Army Seaman on an LCU boat, and one more as a LERP. I think this book would make a good war movie.

Skinny said:
I have a lot of favorites. Here are some in no particular order:

Band of Brothers- Even though it is a mini series, but it's greatness qualifies it to be listed. Haha.

Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers (I really want to read the book too)
The Great Escape
Stalag 17 (If you like The Great Escape, you will like this)
The Big Red One
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Enemy at the Gates
The Dirty Dozen
The Longest Day
To Hell and Back
Von Ryan's Express
Apocalypse Now
The Devil's Brigade
A Bridge Too Far
The Bridge at Remagen
The Boys in Company C (I'm disappointed that it hasn't been released on DVD)

The Boys in Company C is an excellent movie! Completely forgot about it but it is indeed one of the best. I love the relationship between Washington and the DI (Gunny from Mail Call). The LT is my favorite character. Somewhat -- the sane one of the company.

jen.parabellum said:
The Boys in Company C is an excellent movie! Completely forgot about it but it is indeed one of the best. I love the relationship between Washington and the DI (Gunny from Mail Call). The LT is my favorite character. Somewhat -- the sane one of the company.

Ahh.. Yes. I love the soccer game at the end, haha. Well, except at the very end.

Skinny said:
jen.parabellum said:

Ahh.. Yes. I love the soccer game at the end, haha. Well, except at the very end.

Yes that plan didn't work so well HOWEVER he did make the USMC higher command believe Co. C had the highest kill ratio. And remember when he said to that one wounded Marine: "Well if you believe that, they might as well make you a General..." I love that line, lol

I have many favorites. Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Patton, and Band of Brothers (I would call it a movie) are just some of them.

Medieval: Braveheart

Colonial: The Last of the Mohicans and The Patriot

Civil War: Glory

WWII: Saving Private Ryan

Vietnam: John Wayne in Green Berets (yeah I know, old)

After I was born: Black Hawk Down
[/u]

1. Kelly's Heroes. One of the few movies that actually shows all the aspects of small unit operations, including requisitioning supplies, getting intelligence, recon, artillery support, armor support, combat engineer support and NEGOTIATION!

2. Gettysburg. Shows how the battle developed tactically -- this was lacking in Gods and Generals. Read the book (Killer Angels).

3. Master and Commander. Shows how leadership develops -- contrast two of the midshipmen.

4. Patton. Of course -- the Patron Saint of Armor! Too bad they had to have that back-stabbing Omar Bradley as an advisor to the movie (Patton got even, though -- Karl Malden played Bradley!).

5. To End All Wars. Japanese prison camp in Burma -- great acting from the (mostly) european actors and the Kurosawa-trained Japanese actors. Read the book (In the Valley of the River Kwai).

6. Sniper. Pretty good description of the sniper craft (REAL snipers use bolt action!) -- the guy with the PSG1 was really irritating (and unrealistic), though.

7. Enemy at the Gates. Pretty good description of the sniper craft -- too bad it had to be based on a Soviet propaganda invention.

8. The Light Horsemen. Attack on Beersheeba in WWI by the Australian light horse -- little known, but pivotal battle.

9. Thin Red Line. Gives a good depiction of the stresses and confusion of combat. Read the book!

10. Saving Private Ryan. Good attention to detail -- I liked how the German MG42s are smoking in the background after they storm the German machine gun nest -- never saw that in another movie.

11. Gallipoli. Shows how politicians (and incompetent generals) can really waste a lot of lives.

12. Last of the Mohicans. Good fieldcraft, good marksmanship, and great ambush. Read the book!

13. The 13th Warrior. Leadership! Read the book (Beowulf the Warrior, not the Michael Crichton one).

14. Crimson Tide. Gene Hackman is great in his depiction of a nuclear sub commander.

15. Apocalypse Now! Not really a war movie -- you will realize this if you READ THE BOOK before you watch it again (Heart of Darkness).

16. We Were Soldiers. My biggest disappointment was they didn't dedicate the movie to Lt. Rick Rescorla (who died in 9/11 before the movie was released), nor was his character shown in the movie. If you READ THE BOOK! you will see that he was one of the pivotal leaders who kept LZ X-ray from becoming the second "Little Bighorn" for the 7CAV. Many Morgan Stanley employees and their families have him to thank for their lives on 9/11.

"He weren't no saint, but on Judgement day I'll take my chance with Jim
Instead of some pious gentlemen who wouldn't sit next to him.
He saw his duty then and there and went for it there and then,
and God ain't gonna be too hard on a man that died for men".
from Jim Bludsoe, by John Hay

http://www.lzxray.com/

Band of Brothers of course, because it has been the most accurate portrayal of soldiers in the 101st Airborne and of soldiers in world war two.

then I like To End All Wars staring Kiefer Sutherland, it was a good movie and was very accurate.

I am a nut when it comes to war movies, but below is a list of my favorites: #1: Bridge on the River Kwai
#2: Victory
#3: Great Escape
#4: Guns of Navarone
#5: Braveheart (my all time favorite, but not sure if it "constitutes" a true war movie)

1. hunt for red octobor
2. war games
3. Bridge over kwai
4. the longest day
5. flight of the intruder
6. tora tora tora
7. pearl harbor
8. band of brothers
9. in the army now
10. patton

Back