Favorite War Era Aircraft.

Isn't someone building a modern version of the FW 190 with a turbo prop engine?
I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Don't know about a turbo-prop engine but there was a project in the late 1990s to build a limited number of FW190 A-8 models for a handful of museums and collectors. Built from the original plans, some actually included genuine WW2 FW190 tail wheels from a stash that was uncovered in Europe.

Although having to be fitted with modern aircraft safety devices, the planes were given permission to be built as FW190 A-8/N models (N for Nachbau: "replica") with their Werk numbers continuing from were the wartime numbers finished. Although listed as "replicas" the aircraft are apparently for all intents and purposes, considered to be a continuation of the FW190 production from the war.

FW190 A-8/N
Focke-Wulf-Fw190-A8N-a22120116.jpg

P.S. Just did some quick searching and found what you may be referring to. Another project was started to build an FW190 D-9 but because original engines obviously could not be sourced, they chose to use the Allison V-1710 engine as originally fitted to a Bell P-39 Airacobra. Apparently this FW190 had its engine tests in 2007.

I definitely like the long-nose FW190s, have you seen the high altitude interceptor variant designed by Kurt Tank (designated the Ta152)? Apparently the Nazi leadership were so impressed they allowed it to be called the Focke Wulf Tank after the designer.
(The wings are a bit too long to look good in my opinion.)

Ta-152-cover.gif

The long nose 190s were meant to be an interim measure until the TA-152 was awailable.
It was delayed due to technical problems and having the factories bombed by the RAF and USAAF.
The 190Ds were initialy A models re-engined on the production line or when they were returned for major repair work.
The fuselage needed stretching and the fin was extended.
Colour photos of 190Ds show them to be a patch work of different coloured panels and unpainted panels as they were being put together by spares and cannibalised parts.
They were a very potent high altitude fighter, only surpassed by the
TA-152, which were far and few between.

Don't know about a turbo-prop engine but there was a project in the late 1990s to build a limited number of FW190 A-8 models for a handful of museums and collectors. Built from the original plans, some actually included genuine WW2 FW190 tail wheels from a stash that was uncovered in Europe.

Although having to be fitted with modern aircraft safety devices, the planes were given permission to be built as FW190 A-8/N models (N for Nachbau: "replica") with their Werk numbers continuing from were the wartime numbers finished. Although listed as "replicas" the aircraft are apparently for all intents and purposes, considered to be a continuation of the FW190 production from the war.

FW190 A-8/N
Focke-Wulf-Fw190-A8N-a22120116.jpg

P.S. Just did some quick searching and found what you may be referring to. Another project was started to build an FW190 D-9 but because original engines obviously could not be sourced, they chose to use the Allison V-1710 engine as originally fitted to a Bell P-39 Airacobra. Apparently this FW190 had its engine tests in 2007.

They've also built replica Me 262s, single and twin seater variants.

If my memory is correct, the problem with the ME 262 was it's engines. They had a nasty habit of catching fire on start up, they also had a service life of 25 hours before a major overhaul when compared to 100 hours for the Whittle engine.

The 262 engines were far too ahead of their time, the materials were not available.

I have often wondered which aircraft would have come out on top in a dog fight, the 262 or the Meteor assuming pilots of similar capabilities.

What is annoying, if the Air Ministry had listened to Frank Whittle the RAF might have fought the Battle of Britain with Meteors alongside Spitfires and Hurricanes. A so called "expert" at the Ministry told Whittle that his engine would never work.

Adolf Galland having flown both aircraft claimed that the Me-262 was the better fighter but that the Me-262 with Meteor engines would have been better.

Adolf Galland having flown both aircraft claimed that the Me-262 was the better fighter but that the Me-262 with Meteor engines would have been better.

Allied jets at that time were basically, piston engine aerodynamics, fitted with jet engines.
The Me 262 featured a swept wing, very advanced for its time.
Also german aeronautical engineers were among the the best.
Their work was copied for a long time.
The F-86 Sabre and Mig-15 were heavily based on German technology captured at the end of the war.

Allied jets at that time were basically, piston engine aerodynamics, fitted with jet engines.
The Me 262 featured a swept wing, very advanced for its time.
Also german aeronautical engineers were among the the best.
Their work was copied for a long time.
The F-86 Sabre and Mig-15 were heavily based on German technology captured at the end of the war.

And the Mig 15 was powered by a copy of the Rolls Royce Nene, thanks to the stupid bloody Labour Party giving the Soviets a quite a few of them.

And the Mig 15 was powered by a copy of the Rolls Royce Nene, thanks to the stupid bloody Labour Party giving the Soviets a quite a few of them.

The Russians were very good a copying things.
The Tupolev Tu-4 is a copy of the Boeing B-29.
A number of B-29s landed in Russian occupied land and they were impounded.
The russians copied them right down to the "Boeing" logo on the rudder pedals!
If you look at subsequent Tupolev designs, you can see how they used the design of the B-29's tail gun position in their bombers.

The Russians were very good a copying things.
The Tupolev Tu-4 is a copy of the Boeing B-29.
A number of B-29s landed in Russian occupied land and they were impounded.
The russians copied them right down to the "Boeing" logo on the rudder pedals!
If you look at subsequent Tupolev designs, you can see how they used the design of the B-29's tail gun position in their bombers.

Very True, unfortunatly for the Russians, by the time the Tu 4 left any signifigant developmental stage, the Americans where arleady working on and testing prototypes of bombers for the jet age.

As for jets of the second WW, gotta go with the Meteor, better engines, and a dashing sillouette.

Last edited:
The Soviets tried to build a copy of the Concord known in UK as the Concordski, for some reason she didn't work out too well.

I wonder why Gloster didn't build more of the single engine jet the Gloster E.28/39, also known as the "Gloster Whittle", "Gloster Pioneer", or "Gloster G.40" From all accounts pilots who flew her were impressed.

One serving RAF officer asked his buddy, "How does it work Bill?" Bill replied, "It sucks itself along like a hoover old boy."

When I landed at RAF Changi in Singapore in 1967, I looked out of the VC10 window and saw a C47 and C130's with US markings along with a couple of Meteors on the pan. It was like going back in time!

Last edited:
As for jets of the second WW, gotta go with the Meteor, better engines, and a dashing sillouette.

You've got to give the Meteor its due.
First flew in 1943.
Retired from RAF service in 1980.
A good basic design with a lot lot of longevity in it.
The DC3 Dakota is another good example.
First flew in 1935, and still being used.

You've got to give the Meteor its due.
First flew in 1943.
Retired from RAF service in 1980.
A good basic design with a lot lot of longevity in it.
The DC3 Dakota is another good example.
First flew in 1935, and still being used.

The South African Air Force are still using Dakota's, but with turbo prop engines. Amazing aircraft. It's not too long ago that the SAAF got rid of their WW2 Havards or Texans as they are known in the US.

In the early 70s when there was the "crisis" in Belize with the neighboring Guatemalans, the carrier, Ark Royal was dispatched and her Buccaneers did a fly over as a deterence to any hostile action.
Guatemala's airforce was still equiped with Mustangs.
That would have proved interesting, but saying that, during Korea, a Sea Fury shot down a Mig 15.
That was mainly because the Mig slowed down to engage the Sea Fury and flew within the Fury's envelope.
The Argentinian Mirages did the same with the Sea Harriers.
They gave up their advantages in speed to engage a more maneuverable adversary.
It can be said the pilot is the key. A more experienced pilot in a lesser aircraft will win over a less experienced pilot in a better machine.
When the USA got hold of a Mig-15 during Korea, it was being tested by Chuck Yeager.
A General claimed it was a better airplane than the F-86 but Yeager said that it was the skill of the pilot that mattered more.
He took on the General flying in the Mig against him in the F-86, then vice versa, and "waxed his tail" both times.:-D

Here's another interesting machine.
The Me 163 "Komet"
Rocket powered, point defence interceptor.
Capable of incredible acceleration and time to altitude performance.
More were lost to accidents as a result of the volatile nature of the fuel than to enemy action.

me5.jpg

me4.jpg

me2.jpg

From what I have heard and read, the Komet 163 had a rather nasty habit of blowing up when being refuelled. The pilots who flew them had a lot more guts then I've got. They deserved the Iron Cross first class just for climbing in the bloody thing, so did the blokes who refuelled them.

When I was in Malta we got a message over the radio of a Buccaneer in trouble. All crash equipment was scrambled and waited and waited and waited. Finally we saw him coming in on finals trailing thick black smoke. I thought, "If he makes it, he'll be bloody lucky." Thankfully she touched down without incident, when she stopped the crash crews were all over her like a rash. I think the pilot went for a well deserved pint and smoked 20 king size. If he didn't smoke, I wouldn't mind betting he did after that.

Last edited:
From what I have heard and read, the Komet 163 had a rather nasty habit of blowing up when being refuelled. The pilots who flew them had a lot more guts then I've got. They deserved the Iron Cross first class just for climbing in the bloody thing, so did the blokes who refuelled them.

The fuel used was basically Hydrazine, known as C Stoff, and Hydrogen Peroxide, T Stoff.
When mixed together they explode violently.
There is a story of a ground crew man putting Hydrazine into a bucket which some months ago had held Hydrogen Peroxide, and the explosion killed him!
Anyone handling the fuel, and the pilots, wore overals with no organic fibres in it as the fuels were extremely corrosive of organic tissue.
Pilots would be badly injured on landing, if the thing didn't explode and kill them, because the fuel tanks could rupture and spill the noxious fuel on them.
The RAE at Farnborough had an Me163 for testing after the war, but they only would allow it to be flown as a glider as the fuel was so extremely dangerous.
The book "Wings of the Luftwaffe" by Captain Eric Brown RN, covers this, and he flew it and saw it crash killing a friend of his.
The RAF had restored one at RAF St Athans, and I remeber seeing it there.
It is incredibly small. The motto of one of the squadrons that flew it was "Only a flea, but oh oh!"

The fuel used was basically Hydrazine, known as C Stoff, and Hydrogen Peroxide, T Stoff.
When mixed together they explode violently.
There is a story of a ground crew man putting Hydrazine into a bucket which some months ago had held Hydrogen Peroxide, and the explosion killed him!
Anyone handling the fuel, and the pilots, wore overals with no organic fibres in it as the fuels were extremely corrosive of organic tissue.
Pilots would be badly injured on landing, if the thing didn't explode and kill them, because the fuel tanks could rupture and spill the noxious fuel on them.
The RAE at Farnborough had an Me163 for testing after the war, but they only would allow it to be flown as a glider as the fuel was so extremely dangerous.
The book "Wings of the Luftwaffe" by Captain Eric Brown RN, covers this, and he flew it and saw it crash killing a friend of his.
The RAF had restored one at RAF St Athans, and I remeber seeing it there.
It is incredibly small. The motto of one of the squadrons that flew it was "Only a flea, but oh oh!"

I did my RAF trade training at St Athan in1966 (Number 4 School of Technical Training) but I don't recall seeing a Komet there. The only aircraft I remember seeing at St Athan was a Vickers Valiant when I was there as an air cadet in August 1964 on our annual camp and of course Chipmunks of the air experience flight.

Good job we had a NAAFI because pubs closed on Sunday in Wales (I can't remember if it was all day Sunday or just Sunday evenings).

Captain Eric Brown was an astonishing pilot he held the record for flying more aircraft types then anyone else in the world. He was also I/C Enemy Aircraft Flight and was the first pilot to land a jet on a carrier. He was also earmarked to fly the Mile's 52 to break the sound barrier, he said, "I was picked cos I'm a short arse." Sadly the government of the day scrapped the Miles 52.

Captain Brown also served on detachment to the US, he was heavily fined for making a pass of the airfield and breaking the glass in the CO's greenhouse.

Here's another interesting machine.
The Me 163 "Komet"
Rocket powered, point defence interceptor.
Capable of incredible acceleration and time to altitude performance.
More were lost to accidents as a result of the volatile nature of the fuel than to enemy action.

me5.jpg

me4.jpg

me2.jpg

A true predessor of the Mikoyan 25? In terms of Concept of course.

Always thought the Komet was a really interesting aircraft, especiall for it's time, who knows , if Hitler would have cleared it's production and deployment from day one, what allied bombers would have faced driving deeper and deeper into Germany on raids.

A true predessor of the Mikoyan 25? In terms of Concept of course.

Always thought the Komet was a really interesting aircraft, especiall for it's time, who knows , if Hitler would have cleared it's production and deployment from day one, what allied bombers would have faced driving deeper and deeper into Germany on raids.

They were a "first pass" weapon.
Once their fuel, and energy were gone, they were a glider, and the Allied fighter pilots made short work of them.
Also a clumsy landing would leave a smudge on the runway!

Back