Favorite unit from history.............

panzer

OK I was sitting here reading some information on WW2 and was wondering what everyones favorite unit from any era was.......divison, army group, brigade, regiment you get the idea. OK people lets see some posts.

Oh yeah if you want you can post some information on why you chose this particular unit from history.

Waffen-SS Wiking Division:
They were mostly nordic vol. and fought on the Eastern front their entire existence. I can not read enough on this unit. :D

Plus Steiner was a very able commander.

Maybe I've been watching too much Band of Brothers, but the bravery and superiority of Easy Company (506 PIR) is beyond comprehension.

FutureRANGER said:
Maybe I've been watching too much Band of Brothers, but the bravery and superiority of Easy Company (506 PIR) is beyond comprehension.

Currahee! :D I agree. The 101 Airborne is my favourite unit of the war. It was the first airborne war attempt ever done - I think - and those men had to be very brave to volunteer to that.

20th Maine, baby.
Or maybe the Spartan 300.
OR the Zulu army as a whole.
(I'm going to stop now, cause we could be here a while if I don't).

:lol: I should have seen the 20th Maine coming, but I know what you mean about too many to list.

Roger's Rangers, baby. Probably one of the first Special Operations units, and with a name like "Roger's Rangers" what other reason do you need?

Ok.

Ok, there are allot, but since the american ones are covered by their guys, ill go with the
77th OZ Armored Regiment of the 7th Armored Brigade,IDF.

OK, this is a hard choise.

Since it is impossible to decide a single unit from the 1939-1940 war, I'll propably have to go with 7th finnish infantry regiment (1941-1944). The stuff they did at Tyrjä, Siiranmäki and Äyräpää were nothing short of amazing.

SS Charlemagne - for their last ditch stand in Battle for Berlin in April 1945 when they fought to the last man. Mostly French volunteers under the command of the German Officer Krukenburg :rambo:

9th and 10th US Cavalry Regiments - AKA, along with the 24th and 25th US Infantry Regiments, as the Buffalo Soldiers. They were some of the finest, and toughest, soldiers to ever serve in the US Army.

442nd Regimental Combat Team (442nd Infantry, 100th Infantry Battalion, 522nd Field Artillery Battalion, 232nd Engineer Company, 206th Army Band) - tough guys who overcame the disgusting and illegal behavior of the US Government during WWII to forge a combat record second to none - GO FOR BROKE!

1st Battalion 333rd Field Artillery - my first TO&E unit.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment - especially when they were stationed along the border with East Germany - Death Rides A Black Horse.

40th Infantry Detachment (ROC), my current unit.
:m16shoot:

1. Btl of the 1. Rgt of the German Airborne Rangers.......
the ones who fought at the monte cassino..the green devils

-US Army 1st Ranger Battalion, 1942 (WWII) Better known as "Darby's Rangers." My father was one of these great men.

-IRB (Irish Republican Brotherhood) played a large role in obtaining Irish Independence up until it disbanded in 1921 after the Treaty. Luckily, unlike the IRA, it's history has not been tainted by thugs hiding behind a cause.

-Easy Company- Just read Band of Brothers

-442nd Regimental Unit- because they fought so hard in the pacific and are the most decorated unit out of all the other units in WWII

The battalion of Napoleon's Imperial Old Guard that formed square and died to a man at the Battle of Warterloo 1815

Duke of Newcastle's "Whitecoats" who fought at Marston Moor and again died to a man - English Civil War. Jul 2nd 1644

I think I have a hang up with units that "died to the last man"?

Eddy UK

Lot of nice choice up there, 7th calavary, 101st but i am sticking to either darby ranger or the 101st screaming eagle they fought together as family like the men of ia drang valley (7th calavary) but the 101st has a great great history the true men of tocco,GA are the true divison in the united state military they are the best ever. The 101st voulenteer to do somthing that no one knew what could go wrong and they did there job from normandy to holland holland to beligum and fianlly germany then the whole summer of 1945 spent it in austria (i cant spell) so yes i am going with the 101st airborne 506 regiment easy company.

-442nd Regimental Unit- because they fought so hard in the pacific and are the most decorated unit out of all the other units in WWII

Sorry to correct you IrishWizard, but the 442nd Regimental Combat Team (see my post on page 1 for all units) fought in the European Theater, mainly Italy, and not in the Pacific (for obvious reasons). The rest of your assesment is absolutely correct however. :)

favorite unit from WWII

I've got to go with my grandfathers unit. D Company 776th Amphibian Tank Battalion US Army. They served at Angaur, Peleliu, Leyte, and Okinawa. Of the original 155 men that went overseas in 1944 only 16 came back. Never forget though "All gave some, some gave all"

Back