Favorite unit from history.............

99th Infantry Division because they were a totally green unit and they held off the German offensive in Battle of the Bulge. :biggun:

Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, with Stonewall Jackson, is not only my favorite, but probably one of the best ever.

Also, the Spartans at Thermopylae and other engagements against the Persians were awesome[/quote]

I am new to the forum and this is my first post (not that anyone really cares about that...)

I have several favorites:

1) The 1st brigade of the 1 division of the I corp of the Grand Army of the Republic - The Iron Brigade.

2) The Stonewall brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia - The Foot Cavelry.

3) Of course, the 101st Airborne Division

4) The 1st Infanigtry Division - The Big Red One

5) And in honor of my ancestors - ANY Highland Unit!!!

Sorry - I had to put that last one in...

After serving with the 101st, of course Im going to go with them :)

Not just joining the bandwagon, but they have a Rendezvous with Destiny. (plug plug lol) Whether its Bastogne and MG McAuliffe replying "nuts" to an order to surrender, the history of Old Abe the eagle, or the air assault down the Euphrates river valley (as the 3/320th motto went shortly after the return to Ft Campbell... "Thunder in the Valley!"), these were my heroes even before I found out what a drill sergeant was all about and still my most memorable unit when I was active duty. Now Im a part timer with my air assault wings as a reminder to my past with this wonderful unit. :)

It's not a unit, but my fav is the entire Luftwaffe.

No particular reason, I just happen to like the German Air Force.

fav units

the fighting13th austalian battalion in ww1
the 39battalion on the kakoda track in ww2 (did allright for a millita battalion)unfortunatly not many survived. 32 out of 300 i beleive.
The silent 7th division
the light horse regiments such as the 8th, 4th, and 13th,
and the buffs regiment at albuera just to name a few.
cheers :horsie:

I have a few favourite units:

1. B company, 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot- For their gallant defence of Rorke's Drift (80 men of the 24th Foot and other units held of 4,000 Zulus for roughly 10 hours)

[b]2. 7th U.S Cavalry at the Little Bighorn- Really ever since I was 6 years and saw Custer Of The West I have been fascinated about the battle and the unit.[/b]

3. Men of the Gliderborne troops of the 6th Airborn Division (Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry) and 7th Para Battalion-The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry captured Pegasus Bridge and the men of 7th Para Battalion assisted them in holding the bridge against repeated German attack, with only rifles, machine guns,grenades,explosives and PIAT's.

4.[/b] the 185 defenders of the Alamo-There valiant and self-sacrificial stand held of General Santa Anna's army for 13 days and on the 12th day they relised that no help was going to arrive but each man (apart from 1) made his own choise to stay and die for freedom.

5. 6th Battalion of the Green Howards Regiment during WW2-The reason I chose this was because my great uncle was with them until captured at Gazala in 1942. S its out of respect[/list]

Not really a unit from "history", but my all-time favorite unit is the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment -- the OpFor at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin. I really enjoyed my tour of duty with them.

If I had to select a unit from history, however, I would say the 1st Infantry Division in WWII...my grandfather served with the "Big Red One", although I don't know which Company.

Another unit near and dear to my heart was the USCGC Northwind, the ship which took me to sea at the tender age of 17 and showed me the world. The WWII-vintage icebreaker took part in Admiral Byrd's "Operation High Jump" in the 1940s, made drug busts in the 1980s, and dealt with everything from totempoles to musk oxen to Greenpeace.

Posted back....my mistake! :oops:
"SS Charlemagne - for their last ditch stand in Battle for Berlin in April 1945 when they fought to the last man. Mostly French volunteers under the command of the German Officer Krukenburg "

Interesting story....that French unit serving the International SS to fight communism was fighting the Russians on the Eastern borders of Poland in 1945. They were under numbered and eventually overran by the Russians. Berlin was surrounded. They fought their way back toward Berlin, let the soldiers that wanted to quit fighting go back to France, and the core of the unit fought its way back inside Berlin and made its last stand there. From the Zoological garden, a house at a time they actually delayed the overwhelming russian forces and denied them the capture of the city May 1ST, a symbolic date wanted by Stalin. The last few organized defenders of Hitler ....were mostly French fighting communism!
They disbande and tried to make it back home. The one caught by the Russians were shot on the spot. The one caught by Allied forces were summarily tried as traitors serving the enemy and executed...
There is a book out there on the minute by minute last stand by Jean Mabire (incredibly enough, they kept all the paperwork in order during the combats: events, promotions, deaths...You want to know what MOUT is?

The French Foreign Legion in Mexico:

A second Legion was then created which fought in Algeria, in Crimea (1855), in Italy (1859) and in Mexico (1863). In Mexico, it won one of its greatest titles to fame: on April 30, 1863, at the Camerone Hacienda near Puebla, 3 officers and 62 legionnaires resisted 2,000 Mexicans. After a day of heroic fighting the last five survivors fixed bayonets and charged.
This battle, whose name adorns every Legion flag, remains the symbol of a mission carried out to the bitter end.

On May 5, Mexico has its national day celebrating the deafeat of the French Army (that came back the very next year and even took Mexico) while in the French Military, on April 30, we celebrate CAMERON, a defeat maybe, but for whom??? :rambo:

I don't know how effective they were, but the best named unit in history has to be "Popski's Private Army". This was the Official title of a group of Free Poles who formed up during the second world war under Col Popski, and fought in North Africa and Europe. They performed the same type of role as the LRRPs/SAS and even had their own Capbadge minted.

So raise a glass to Popski's Private Army, and to good old fashioned eccentricity!!

I think RAF fighter command during the Battle of Britain deserve some recognition for their heroism and courage in the face of Germany's Luftwaffe, which outnumbered the RAF by more than 2:1. Not many times in history has a whole nation placed its faith into one Armed Force to protect their liberty and country from what seemed an almost inevitable German invasion of the British mainland. By no means am I saying no other forces or countries mattered, but at the time, Britain stood alone with just 20 miles of sea stopping the onslaught of the German occupation of the whole of Western Europe, the odds were against them and yet German air superiority was lost, a truly magnificent achievement. From the Battle of Britain has arisen one of my favourite quotes of all time.

''Never in the history of mankind have so many owed so much to so few."

Winston Churchill

Back