Favorite Scottish army music group - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

singforsam

[FONT=&quot]Have you heard about this Scottish army musical group – Royal Scots Dragoon Guards? They are having a U. S. tour. They play bagpipes and drums. I have one of their CDs and it’s really good. They have tracks like Amazing Grace, Rod Stewart’s Sailing, and Paul McCartney’s Mull of Kintyre. You can hear it from their MySpace page – myspace.com/spiritoftheglen. They also did a rendition from the soundtrack of the movie, Last of the Mohicans.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have their tour dates handy for whoever’s interested, check out below:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1-Feb [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8:00pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]East Lansing[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]MI[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Catherine Herrick Cobb Great Hall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2-Feb [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8:00pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cleveland[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]OH[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Palace Theatre[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4-Feb [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7:30pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pittsburgh[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PA[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Heinz Hall for Performing Arts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5-Feb [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8:00pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Louisville[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]KY[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Whitney Hall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6-Feb [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8:00pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Champaign-Urbana[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]IL[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Foellinger Great Hall[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They can be reached on this website http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Royal-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1201051539&sr=8-1. Let me know what you think by replying to my post or on the website above. Hope to talk with you soon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sam [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fontana[/FONT]

Most of the Highland Regiments have military bands. They are trained musicians from places like Knellar Hall, and are attached to their units. They do not fight, or carry out guard duties etc. In conflict they become stretcher bearers etc. But they are just the same as all in all other rerspects, but they are not, for example, allowed to box etc. competitively. But they take part in Javelin , hockey, discus, shot put etc.

BUT also Highland Regiments have their Pipe Bands, pipes and drums and bugles , and these guys are full-time soldiers, and go into battle. They are usually the HQ company defence section, protecting Battalion HQ, and carry out the daily pipe and bugle calls, and they carry out guard duties etc., with everyone else.

The Pipe Band on duty would lead troops into battle with lone pipers, or the full band playing great marching tunes such as

Scotland The Brave

The old Brown Bear

Blue Bonnets over The Border

Tunes of Glory

You-re No awa' tae bide awa'

Will ye no come back again

With these they lift Scots soldiers to greater endeavour, square tired shoulders, sharpen the step, swing the arms, grit the teeth, and bring back the swagger, this is when they are ready to march into hell.

UNLESS TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Last edited:
Back