Favorite President of The United States - Page 6

--
Boots

March 6th, 2005  
SigPig

I'm a Canuck, and despite his starting that whole "unpleasantness in the Colonies", I'd say George Washington. Brilliant general, excellent president. Even his enemies respected and admired him. Wouldn't let them make him king. Read recently that he didn't want any retribution made against the Loyalists -- I think he understood that the War of Independence had a certain civil-war aspect to it. He also recognized the bigotry of his day -- he looked forward to the day that Catholics and other marginalized religions would share in his vision of liberty.

J.
April 8th, 2005  
Battleman

Well I dont live in the US, but from watching the news over the years, ID say Clinton. I think he did well for America and didnt give them no crap for the 2 periods he was in office for. As for Bush Junior. I think he has the US under a false pretence. I mean terror alerts on the news every day? Whats that all about? Well I call it sheer paranoia after 9/11 and putting fear into the public, and Bush doesnt go down too well after watching farenheit 9/11.
April 8th, 2005  
WarMachine

I'd say ulysses s grant, he never bothered anybody. Plus he was too drunk most of the time to care, a true executive according to the terms of the constitution.
--
Boots
August 19th, 2005  
SMPRfidlis

Abraham Lincoln...FDR...and good ole George W.
August 19th, 2005  
Kina

go abe lincoln! he's my hero!
August 19th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge 7
Millard Fillmore. Just because it's been about 160 years since anybody voted for Millard Fillmore for anything.
I was having fun with that one (as rotc boy at least caught on).

My real answer is to agree with Kina and say Abraham Lincoln. I thought that answer would be more prevalent than it is here so far.

Here's my reasoning: take everything else about Lincoln aside good and bad and one thing alone he did shines far and above anything any other President has ever done with the single exception of Washington. This, however, tops even the Father of our Country though not by much. George Washington was more responsible for the birth of our nation than any other single man - that was no mean feat. Lincoln though kept this country together even in the midst of civil war. He insisted on returning the southern states to the union.

Indeed, many historians factor Lincoln as number one of all US Presidents for just that achievement. The incredible thing is that he accomplished it within days of his death. Historians now consider that if Lincoln had died even a few weeks earlier those in power in the northern government at the time would likely have sued for peace and allowed the South to become a seperate nation. The toll was that great and it was only Lincoln who was resolute in preserving the union.

Now comes the most significant part; if Lincoln had died earlier and the South had become a seperate nation it would have set a precedent. Other parts of what is now the US might have also in their turn decided to become seperate nations. Historians call this blow that never befell us as the "Balkanization of America". We could have wound up divided and lesser in power and influence as a disunited group of nations and perhaps only now struggling for unity as Europe is today.
August 20th, 2005  
istealfreefood

Lincoln, FDR, and Reagan
August 20th, 2005  
Kina

amen charge! hail abe lincoln!
August 21st, 2005  
Missileer

President Reagan and President Kennedy. Neither could be bullied or backed down from a fight. President Bush will be remembered as such later.
August 24th, 2005  
Toyuzu

Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. I have to say Bush is a significant factor in my decision to enlist.