Favorite Horse

CrazyLilCajun

Milforum Cowgirl
Ok I didnt see a topic on horses so I figured i'd start one.
What is everyones favorite type of horse?

Mine is a quarter horse. I have two of them. Gypsy is a 3 yr old bay mare that is about 14 hh or so. She is off of Poco Hollywood Major. Bad Boy Thomas is a 5 yr old bay gelding. He is about 15hh. He's the one I just got a week ago. I also like paint horses. I think thats the next one I want to get.

As a 1/2 horse woman myself..my favorities:

The Andalusians & the Lusitanos grace, beauty and drama..&

The dear Shire hercules heaviest duty horses plain commomsense..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYK5SBnVaQ&feature=related

"Iron-clad feather-feet pounding the dust
On octobers day, towards evening
Sweat embossed veins standing proud to the plough
Salt on a deep chest, seasoning
Last of the line at an honest days toil
Turning the deep sod under
Flint at the fetlock, chasing the bone
Flies at the nostrils plunder.

etcs..

Bring a song for the evening
Clean brass to flash the dawn
Across these acres glistening
Like dew on a carpet lawn
In these dark towns folk lie sleeping
As the heavy horses thunder by
To wake the dying city
With the living horsemans cry

etcs"

I think to find out what horse becomes your favorite, it very much depends on what you want it for and what your personal history with horses has shown you:

I have had horses since I was a small boy (when I was 8 my parents wanted me out of hosue and gave me away to be raised on a horse farm):

Bild_A.jpg

I have lived with horses until my 40´s (when I moved to the med where it is too hot in summer to have and move a horse really), and, I have saddled and driven Arabs, Hannoveranians, Cold Bloods, Quarters, Andalusians, etc. After all those horses and all that time for me there is only one race to be my favorite:

Arabs, I find too nervous for my liking; Cold Bloods too dull though I admire their forc and power; Andalusians, too small; Hannoverans get ill too easily. Friesians is the way to go!

I have had two of them, "Toro" and "Major", the first was my first horse, the 2nd my last one.

When I started riding the first day (I was 9 then), I was sat on a Haflinger who had nothing better to do than to go straight to the next available tree and scratch his side until I was off... I did not want to go on a horse ever again, but luckily someone brought over that *huge* (double Haflinger size), pitch black beautifully gleaming horse who he claimed had the best character of all on the farm and made me get on it: 10 minutes later I was in paradise!

Toro was blind on one eye from having run into some barbed wire when he was young, and he had the most docile temper you could imagine, despite his size and sheer power he was emanating. Of cause, he became *my* horse, and later, when I was older my parents bought him and I rode him until his death 17 years later.

Maybe it was because he was blind on one side and had to trust you, but you could do anything with that horse: Galloping he would win against our fastest Arabs, never ever shying in front of water or obstacles, super secure in the rockiest or mudiest outdoor scenarios, dressage he would learn as fast as you could show him, in harness and in front of a carriage/coach (as in the picture above) he would trot featherlight for hours without even starting to sweat.

Same thing with "Major": Huge (1.70 mtrs shoulder hight = almost 5.6 feet), pitch black, seemingly cold blooded but as hot as you wanted him, easily carrying two riders for hours or trotting in front of the planwagon loaded with 10 persons without any effort, versatile in outdoors, on hunting or juming, and the most docile, happy and loyal horse you could think of.

That is exactly what I want in a horse:
- I *love* big horses, 1.60-1.70 mtrs shoulder height is right for me
- I love sheer power combined with elgance and character
- I want robust and versatile "all weather" horse that does not always get ill or that I do not have to bother about when in the snow or the heat.
- I want it for long range outdoor riding, jumping, dressage and carraiage or harness to work.

The Friesian have it all, and: They are simply beatuiful!

A mix of cold and hot blood (they were bred some 2000BC as workig horses until the Spanishc came and crossed in the Andalusian with its hot temperament and grace, they were the preferred breed for knights in the medieval times as they were bread for power, endurance and representation. Later, when carriages and loads became lighter (around 1800) they were modified for trotting races - hence their soft and lightweight trot that does not equal any other: You can go for hours without tiring or geting a sore bum...

Their one disadvantage: They need a lot of care because of those long manes and the vast amount of hari everywhere.

Some pics and vids:

Friesians, the Black Kings Of Horses

Is this the most beautiful horse in the world? That, anway is what my Major looked like...

Cori, a Friesian 3yr mare in training between court and carriage

A nice promotional vid of The Friesian Valley Horses House

Rattler

"I think to find out what horse becomes your favorite, it very much depends on what you want it for and what your personal history with horses has shown you"..:

Thanks for sharing about Toro and Major and your experiences.

Very true rattler!

Plus the persons own spirit and make up inside, even genders perceptions and senses awareness have their own way to capture all of that also ..for exemple as a free spirit myself I have strong tendency to see all creatures free, expressing themselves in nature freely..I would not want to brake their spirit and domesticate them at all..kwim? Some might have the tendency and "gift" to brake and domesticate others..of course.

There is no animal that express freedom spirit so much so than horses, imo.
But as much I am a dreamer wanting them free, I have to be realist also, unfortunatly animals running free and procriating without restrains creates another problems in some areas and sometimes Govs allow hunters to take care of their growing populations..some are lawful slaughter also.

Friesians are the most beautiful I've seen... powerful yet incredibly graceful.

I currently have two Percherons (can't afford a Friesian with my paycheck) and I love them. Big, strong, and beautiful. Gentle giants... just like having oversized dogs that you can ride! =)

i want a Pegasus or a unicorn...
other than that the arab horse or a waler horse (Australian breed) is always good...

What kind of horse was Mr. Ed? I've always wanted a talking horse, plus he wore glasses and occasionaly drove. That's just crazy. Why would a horse drive?! But yeah.... Definately a Mr. Ed horse.

Back