Favorite Heros In American History

SniperWannabee

My favorite hero in history is the one and only Chesty Puller who was the most decorated hero in the history of the Marine Corps.

Whats yours?

well for me, it has to be Genneral Curtis LeMay...kinda like chesty, but smiled less, and said almost nothing. He just liked to either remove cities, or save them (he was different that way.)

:D

Franklin Delano Roosvelt! I think I don't need to explain why...
Also every American is a hero in one way or another.......................

I'll comment if I may. Though there have been many American heroes over the years, I think it was Eisenhower's decisive military judgement and ability to unite and allow cooperation between the allied commanders which really made a difference during the Second World War.

I saw a documentary on a man yesterday and I remember thinking... that man is a hero.

His name is Randy Glass, and he was a conman. He made millions from conning jewelry companies out of millions of dollars worth of diamonds. Eventually the law caught up to him and he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

While out on bail, the FBI got wind of his skills, and recruited him for a plan of theirs. Over the next few months, he got deeply involved in a weapons deal, which lead to the arrest and conviction of two Arab men who were American citizens who attempted to provided to Taliban with Stinger missiles, small arms, larger arms, and nuclear weapon components. It was a very engaging story.

Randy Glass said he did it because he wanted to help his country. He felt he had an obligation to use his skills to help the United States of America. His patriotism and courage rewarded him with a reduced prison sentence, in the end, 7 months :D

General Patton. The only allied general that the Germans were really scared of in Europe after the Battle of Normandy. He was crazy but he could do the unexpected on the battlefield and turn a tight situation into success. A real class act.

Yea id go with Patton. The Nazi's had so much fear for him that the allies used him to fool the germans into thinking that d-day was going to be somewere else and it worked. He was completely fearless but also fair.
He treated the Nazi's with respect after the war and they had allot of respect for him as well. He had no problem insulting American politicians or slapping the shit out of a American shellshocked soldier. Youd could almost call him the grandfather of American tank warfare. Way before ww2 he promoted the tank and tried to convince the generals of its true uses.

Gunny Sargeant Dan Daley. He led the US Marines to victory at Belleau Wood. "Come on you Sons of Bitches, do you want to live forever?!"

I don't know why I'm drawing a blank on this and I can't believe myself lol. But the leader at the Alamo, even though they were all heros, his speech to stir there courage was the greatest. And how he led them on through the whole fight. If you want details about the speech I'll tell you... ITS AWESOME! lol

without a doubt, Blood and Guts himself. Gen George Patton.

1. tactical genius
2. told it like it was
3. not only did he serve in the military, he was also an olympic athlete also
4. think of all the phrases people still live by that he gave us
5. it was his destiny :)

The exact word to word speech I do not recall but I will do my best to explain it.

The man in charge by rank was William Travis and the story is said to be this. There were 189 Texans at the Alamo and he told them what they needed to do. They needed to delay the Mexican forces (at least 2,000 men at the time) as long as they could to allow American forces to prepare themselves. He rallied all the men together in the center of the square at the Alamo and explained the numbers against them and the probable outcome, that they would all die. He told them they had to fight to the last man. (This is the AWESOME part)

Travis then walked forward and drew his sword and drew a long line into the ground. He stepped back and told them that anyone who wished to fight for freedom and glory to cross the line, anyone who didn't could leave. ALL 189 men stepped across the line, one man on a stretcher who had been shot called 2 men over to him and he was carried to the other side of the line. Now that is patriotism.

Im gonna try to find the exact speech since it was recorded in some documents later that evening.

Although there are many, I would go with Audie Murphy. I don't think anyone can deny that he was a true American hero. Some farmboy who enlisted just because he wanted to fight for his country, then going above and beyond the call of duty. Audie Murphy was the "John Wayne" on the Battlefield.

Spartan said:
Gunny Sargeant Dan Daley. He led the US Marines to victory at Belleau Wood. "Come on you Sons of Bitches, do you want to live forever?!"

OORAH DAN DALY!!! He was my man too! The first hard chargin' DOG!!! :m16shoot:

Haven't heard of Dan Daley *cowers back ready for hits to come on him* but whats the story of him. From that one quote, I'd really like to hear.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, 4 june 1918.
Leading Marines at Belleus Wood.
Dan Daly served with Marine Fourth Brigade in WW2.
Sergeant Dan Daly is one of the great legends of the Marines
http://www.military-quotes.com/database/d.htm

Here's some info about him:
http://www.mclm.com/tohonor/ddaly.html

At Lucy li Boucage, on the outskirts of Belleau Wood France, Daly made a comment which still thunders with the Marine spirit today. Outnumbered, outgunned and pinned in a poor position, the Marines were soon to be chopped to pieces by the German Machine gunners. Daly ordered an attack, leaping forward and yelling to his men. He is purported to have said, "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" Later Daly told a Marine Historian, "What I really yelled was: For Christ's sake, men-COME ON! Do you want to live forever?"

The Alamo heroes:
-Jim Bowie- (Drunk, with awesome knife)
-Davy Crockett- (king of the wild frontier)
-Daniel Boone- (Davy's right hand man)
-William B. Travis- (Alamo defender)

They made Texas what it is today.

Sam Houston - The one who nerd tossed the Mexicans at San Jacinto.

:cowb:

Back