Favorite flag

KC72 said:
Cheers mr Italian man ;)

Anytime: I'll be your personal geisha from now on

Geisha.jpg

(Yeah that's Japanese but whatever, don't I look cool?)

KC72 said:
try this baby

nepal-flag.gif

Sure, no big deal :read:

The flag of Nepal is the only national flag which is not rectangular, being based upon two separate pennants which belonged to rival branches of the Rana dynasty, which formerly ruled the country. The two pennants were first joined in the last century, but it was not adopted as the official flag until 1962, when a constitutional form of government was established.
The moon in the upper part represents the royal house. The sun in the lower part symbolizes a branch of the Rana family, members of which acted as prime ministers until 1961.
The charges are now said to represent the hope that Nepal itself will last as long as the sun and the moon. The style of these heavenly bodies was streamlined on December 16, 1962.

Sayonara ;)

KC72 said:
is this the only flag that isn't oblong?

If you meant "National flags" no, the Vatican and Switzerland, along with Nepal, have differently-sized flags than the rest of the world:

va.gif

and
Flagbig.GIF

flag_Nauru.gif

Yeah because it's simple: one tiny island surrounded by a blue ocean just below the Equator line (the star's 12 points represent the 12 original tribes of Nauru) 8)

nauru.gif

the good 'ole Stars and Stripes for countries, the USMC flag, and i have always like the Japanese Rising Sun flag from WWII.

:rambo:

The US Flag.
It might be nice if people gave a little flag history. Most flags have symbolic meaning to how they arrived.
Example;
When the original Stars and Stripes was selected 13 stars and 13 stripes a stripe and star was to be added for each new state. When they got to 15 stripes and 15 stars it became apparent that this "wouldn't fly" in the future. So they changed it back to 13 stripes representing the original 13 colonies and would add one star for each new state. You can imagine what 50 stripes would look like. (sorry I could not resist the comment of "wouldn't fly").:-D

The Union Flag (often wrongly called the Union Jack)
The flag of Saint George
The RAF ensign
The RN ensign

Last edited:
Back