Favorite fighter or bomber from World War II - Page 2

--

December 8th, 2004  
beardo

Spitfire

most beautiful machine ever made
December 8th, 2004  
Dutchy

I have to agree with GodofThunder, Me-262 is my favorite fighter of WW2 and for the same reasons. Mighty glad though that Hitler gave this project top priority too late in the war for the 262 to have full effect and he ordered only 1 out of 10 262's to be build in fighter configuration.
December 8th, 2004  
egoz

Fighter I'd say P-51D. It's not just a great aircraft it's gorgeous too. It's so sleek and functional. But for bomber I'd say B-25....two words...Doolittle Raid.
--
December 8th, 2004  
leandros

The Hawker Tempest. A real brute! 262-killer!
December 9th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandros
The Hawker Tempest. A real brute! 262-killer!
Hey, don't be stingy give us a link so we can look at it too!
December 9th, 2004  
Dutchy

If i'm right Me-262's where shot down during there approaches on there runway's.....No offence to the Tempest or Mustang, but that aint no dogfight.
December 10th, 2004  
AussieNick

For those who want to know, this is a Hawker Tempest.
December 10th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
If i'm right Me-262's where shot down during there approaches on there runway's.....No offence to the Tempest or Mustang, but that aint no dogfight.
we don't dog fight now either but that doesn't take away from the aircraft at all does it? shooting a plane down on it's approach is simply an effective tactic.
December 10th, 2004  
AussieNick

There are better ways to conduct air combat rather than the traditional dogfight. That was the territory of 1916-1918 western front type stuff. Even throughout WW2 the idea of air combat was changing.
December 10th, 2004  
Dutchy

@Egoz

Yes it is an effective tactic i won't argue that, just wanting to point out that most if not all Me-262 where destroyed on the ground or during landing (either by strafing allied fighters or mishaps) and none during actual head to head combat.