Favorite Cold War Movie?

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Thought this would be an okay topic. Not all Cold War movies involve shooting or such so it can probably stand on its own from the "Favorite War Movie" thread. I didn't want to make it a poll because there's so many movies to choose from and I'm not interested in a popularity contest anyway. Just want to hear your choices and why you liked the film. Many titles come to mind "Fail Safe", "Dr. Strangelove", "No Way Out", but my all time favorite is "By Dawn's Early Light". Excellent "what if" about the balloon going up and the US and Soviet Russia trading nukes. The President is cut off from communications in a nuke strike and the Secretary of the Interior takes the US on a full retalliatory posture. President desperately tries to shut things off before we're all blown back to the stone age and succeeds in getting the general commanding "Looking Glass" to stop Air Force One.

President (Martin Landau): "What will you do general?"

"Looking Glass" General (James Earl Jones): "I'm going to RAM HIM!!"

Does "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart count? thats got to be my all time Favorite Jimmy Stewart flick, Non Western.

Yikes... I never really noticed it but I've just realized I haven't seen many Cold War movies. Firefox is probably the most famous one I've seen. I've actually seen parts of some on the TV but only in small bits.

There was one German one... I cannot remember the title but I did see the full thing. It was about East and West Berlin... These East German teenagers attempt to escape to West Berlin. One is left behind but his girlfriend makes it across. They become personifications of how the two Germanys grow apart and develop separate lives.

I don't know of many cold war movies, Ive only seen Hunt for Red October and this movie where Germans try to get to the west in a balloon and make it...obviously.

Does Red Dawn count? haha.

I would have to say "The Hunt For Red October" (Although it is fictional)

Haven't really watched many Cold War movies.

Doesn't matter if they're fictional or not (most are of course). So yeah, "Red Dawn" counts and so does "The Hunt For Red October". I liked the latter quite alot. The former was kinda ludicrous but entertaining for the most part.

I liked "Hunt For Red October" and I also really liked "Red Dawn" the acting and special effects weren't very good, and the dialogue was pretty corny at points, tacked on love interest, etc, etc, but I think it was a really interesting story, and I think if it would have been more well done, it would be a classic.

D_Plus_One said:
I liked "Hunt For Red October" and I also really liked "Red Dawn" the acting and special effects weren't very good, and the dialogue was pretty corny at points, tacked on love interest, etc, etc, but I think it was a really interesting story, and I think if it would have been more well done, it would be a classic.

I liked Red Dawn too.

I won''t say you're wrong EagleStrike, but I believe "Sum Of All Fears" takes place post Cold War (even though they went back in time in Jack Ryan's career in it).

Back