Favorite Boxer?

currently it's Brian Viloria, he's a hometown boy so i gots ta support.

overall i'd have to say ali, he's the greatest, and still is.

Italian Guy said:
And if we can change, and you can change, all the world can change !!!
i wish someone would gag that man, he is an annoying :cen:

Ali wins hands down

Thomas Hearns. Never mind Ricky Hatton, Hearns was the original Hitman and would have knocked out Hatton within 6 rounds.

Jack Dempsey "The Manassa Mauler"

In 80 bouts he had 50 KOs in his career.

On July 4, 1919, Dempsey knocked Jess Willard, the man that ended Jack Johnson’s title reign, flat to the canvas. It is believed Willard took one of the biggest beatings any fighter has ever suffered. He retired at the end of the third round with a broken jaw, two broken ribs, a closed eye, and a partial loss of hearing. Dempsey is widely regarded as one of the pioneers of modern boxing and has gone down in history as one of the toughest men ever to enter the ring.

You check more out about him here:

http://www.cmgww.com/sports/dempsey/
http://www.ibhof.com/dempsey.htm

And of course many other sites.

"He came along at a time when the sport was at its all-time low.
Dempsey was the first universally-accepted American sports superstar."
...Steve Farhood, The Ring Magazine

"You came out of a fight with Dempsey full of welts and bruises and every bone aching."
...former heavyweight champion Jack Sharkey

"Honey, I just forgot to duck."
...Dempsey to his wife Estelle after losing his World Heavyweight title in 1926.

Rocky Marciano was a great boxer ... but ... pound for pound, the greatest boxer that ever lived has to be Muhammad Ali.

Rocky was a bruiser, but would have been outclassed by the style of Ali ... the worst matches that Rocky ever fought, were with boxers of the 'fast' 'light footed' style of 'new' boxers that were just starting to emerge when Rocky was at his prime.

Ali created a brand new class of boxer, and I don't believe that we will ever see another boxer of his flambouyance and flash in this century (or) ever.

No way Chief. The Rock would have knocked Ali into next week. Rocky Marciano is the ONLY undefeated champion in ANY weight class in the history of gloved boxing. Out of his 49 wins, 43 were by KO compared to Ali's 37 KOs in 61 fights.

No way Chief. The Rock would have knocked Ali into next week. Rocky Marciano is the ONLY undefeated champion in ANY weight class in the history of gloved boxing. Out of his 49 wins, 43 were by KO compared to Ali's 37 KOs in 61 fights.

Hate to differ with you ... Rocky was a favorite of mine - the ONLY times Rocky had any 'real' problems with other boxers, it was when he was fighting a 'boxer' instead of a bruiser. Let's face it, Ali was the "boxer's boxer".

You can NOT measure Ali's effectiveness by the last fights he was in, by that time, his 'illness' was already slowing him down, and it placed him at a decided disadvantage to the 'new turks'.

IF you measure Rocky-v-Ali when they were BOTH at their peaks, I for one would NOT place money on just who would win. Rocky would wade in and try to keep swinging until something gave way ... Ali would dance and weave, and deliver some of the hardest "bombs" that any boxer has ever delivered on target. It was ONLY in the latter part of Ali's career (after his illness began to affect him ... as we now know), that other boxers were able to connect with anything more than 'love' pats.

Foreman and other boxers that fought Ali, have ALL said the same thing, they had NEVER been hit any harder than when Ali connected with one of his power shots.

As far as power, it would probably be a toss up as to just who had the stronger punch (Rocky or Ali).

You also must know, the number of KO's is NOT necessarily the best measure of which boxer is the best. Ali went against the best boxers of his day (many had longer careers with more KO's), and he defeated them all (until age and illness dimmed the speed and the flair).

Hate to differ with you ... Rocky was a favorite of mine - the ONLY times Rocky had any 'real' problems with other boxers, it was when he was fighting a 'boxer' instead of a bruiser. Let's face it, Ali was the "boxer's boxer".

You can NOT measure Ali's effectiveness by the last fights he was in, by that time, his 'illness' was already slowing him down, and it placed him at a decided disadvantage to the 'new turks'.

IF you measure Rocky-v-Ali when they were BOTH at their peaks, I for one would NOT place money on just who would win. Rocky would wade in and try to keep swinging until something gave way ... Ali would dance and weave, and deliver some of the hardest "bombs" that any boxer has ever delivered on target. It was ONLY in the latter part of Ali's career (after his illness began to affect him ... as we now know), that other boxers were able to connect with anything more than 'love' pats.

Foreman and other boxers that fought Ali, have ALL said the same thing, they had NEVER been hit any harder than when Ali connected with one of his power shots.

As far as power, it would probably be a toss up as to just who had the stronger punch (Rocky or Ali).

You also must know, the number of KO's is NOT necessarily the best measure of which boxer is the best. Ali went against the best boxers of his day (many had longer careers with more KO's), and he defeated them all (until age and illness dimmed the speed and the flair).

I'd have to say that the Rock was the hardest hitter of the two. Some have said that his KO punch on Walcott was maybe the hardest hit in the history of boxing. Ali mostly used finesse, dancing around the ring and delivering the knockout blow when the other guy got tired.

They actually did a computer simulated version of the fight a while ago and the computer said that Rocky would come out on top. But a boxing match is something you just can't simulate. I guess we'll never know who would win.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9msELiZKyU

Had Rocky and Ali ever met for real while they were at their peak, I daresay that every single boxing aficionado would have unanimously voted it the greatest heavy weight boxing match in history ... bar none.

I would have given almost anything to have seen that match.

As far as the computer match, I seem to remember a story that talked about that simulation. The person that wrote the story, said that the program was weighted by the programmers (something about accuracy and power), and IF the power (correction number), was slightly smaller (or) bigger, the outcome could have gone either way.

Real life / computer simulation - they both were bigger than life during their reigns as the Heavy Weight Champions of the World.

Back