Favorite Battle?

The Battle of Ia Drang, Vietnam. One of the few battles of that war that was done right.

Khe Sahn

The battle of Khe Sahn and Da Nang and the campaign in Northern Norway when allied forces stopped and forced the German battlegroup on retreat in and around the city of Narvik.

For me it's Guadalcanal. In the earliest part it was the Marines alone against the Japanese land forces and naval forces. The Marines didn't even have the US Navy to support them as the US Naval commander had taken the ships all out of the area after the disaster of Savo Island.

I asked my father once when he was most afraid in WWII. He said it was watching the Navy ships steam away and leaving the Marines without even finishing unloading their supplies. He and his buddy sat down on a sea chest and cried their eyes out - they were both just 18 years old. They gave themselves just a few minutes of that and then they were back up and into the fight 'til the finish. US Marines have always stood tall, but never more so than when they stood alone.

Rorke's Drift 1879

Honour on both sides. 11 VC's won by heros among the British

Brave Zulu's paid tribute to those who they could not defeat despite vastly superior numbers (5,000 Zulu's vs 145 British infantry & engineers)

I liked the whole Operation Overlord. It's very interesting. I escpecially like the first part of Operation Overlord at the landings of the 5 beaches. Particularly Omaha Beach, of course.

Hmmm...
This is a hard one for me to answer with just one. Or two... or three...

I guess if I were to have a gun to my head I would have to say

Gettysburg, The Cowpens (ARW), Bannockburn, or Waterloo

Sorry, can't narrow it down any more than that...
:cheers:

I don't know. I guess...I like all battles during WW2 like invaded Poland to Atomic on Japan.

Has to be Guadalcanal. Turning point of the land war in the Pacific during World War II.

Semper Fi, Marines!

Ron

The Number One Battleground

Yorktown
American Revolution, 1781
The Battle of Yorktown was the climax of the American Revolution and directly led to the independence of the United States of America. While others may have been larger and more dramatic, no battle in history has been more influential. From the days following their victory at Yorktown, Americans have steadily gained power and influence up to their present role as the world's most prosperous nation and the only military superpower.

The idea that a group of poorly armed, loosely organized colonists would have the audacity to challenge the massive, experienced army and navy of their rulers seemed impossible when the revolution's first shots rang out at Lexington and Concord in 1775. The rebels' chances of success seemed even more remote when the American colonies formally declared their independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776.

Despite the huge imbalance of power, the Americans understood that time was on their side. As long as George Washington and his army remained in the field, the newly declared republic survived. Washington did not have to defeat the British; he simply had to avoid having the British defeat him. The longer the war lasted, the greater the odds that the British would become involved in wars that threatened their own islands and that the British public would tire of the war and its costs.

During the first year of the war, Washington had lost a series of battles around New York but had withdrawn the bulk of his army to fight another day. Many British commanders had unintentionally aided the American effort with their military ineptness and their belief that the rebels would diplomatically end their revolt.

Participants on both sides, as well as observers around the world, had begun to take the possibility of American independence seriously only with their victory at Saratoga in October 1777. The poorly executed plan by the British to divide New England from the southern colonies by occupying New York's Hudson River Valley had resulted not only in the surrender of nearly six thousand British soldiers but also in the recognition of the United States as an independent nation by France. The American victory at Saratoga and the entrance of the French into the war also drew Spain and the Netherlands into the fight against England.
By 1778, neither the British nor the Americans could gain the upper hand, as the war in the northern colonies had come to a stalemate. The British continued to occupy New York and Boston, but they were too weak to crush the rebel army. Washington similarly lacked the strength to attack the British fortresses.

In late 1778, British commander General Henry Clinton used his superior sea mobility to transfer much of his army under Lord Charles Cornwallis to the southern colonies, where they occupied Savannah and then Charleston the following year. Clinton's plan was for Cornwallis to neutralize the southern colonies, which would cut off supplies to Washington and isolate his army.

Washington countered by dispatching Nathanael Greene, one of his ablest generals, to command the American troops in the South. From 1779 to 1781, Greene and other American commanders fought a guerrilla-like campaign of hit-and-run maneuvers that depleted and exhausted the British. In the spring of 1781, Cornwallis marched into North Carolina and then into Yorktown on the Virginia peninsula flanked by the York and James Rivers. Although his army outnumbered the Americans two to one, Cornwallis fortified the small town and waited for additional men and supplies to arrive by ship.

Meanwhile, more than seven thousand French infantrymen, commanded by Jean Baptiste de Rochambeau, joined Washington's army outside New York, and a French fleet led by Admiral Paul de Grasse waited in the Caribbean, preparing to sail northward. Washington wanted de Grasse to blockade New York while the combined American-French armies attacked Clinton's New York force.
Rochambeau and de Grasse proposed instead that they attack Cornwallis. On August 21, 1781, Washington left a few units around New York and joined Rochambeau to march the two hundred miles to Yorktown in only fifteen days. Clinton, convinced that New York was still the rebels' primary target, did nothing.

While the infantry was on its march, the French navy drove away the British ships in the area at the Battle of Chesapeake Capes on September 5. De Grasse then blockaded the entrance to Chesapeake Bay and landed three thousand men to join the growing army around Yorktown.
By the end of September, Washington had united his army from the north with the rebel Southerners. He now had more than 8,000 Americans along with the 7,000 French soldiers to encircle the 6,000 British defenders. On October 9, 1781, the Americans and French began pounding the British with fifty-two cannons while they dug trenches toward the primary enemy defensive redoubts.
yorktown.gif

The American-Franco infantry captured the redoubts on October 14 and moved their artillery forward so they could fire directly into Yorktown. Two days later, a British counterattack failed. On October 17, Cornwallis asked for a cease-fire, and on the 19th he agreed to unconditional surrender. Only about one hundred and fifty of his soldiers had been killed and another three hundred wounded, but he knew that future action was futile. American and French losses numbered seventy-two killed and fewer than two hundred wounded.

Cornwallis, claiming illness, sent his deputy Charles O'Hara to surrender in his place. While the British band played "The World Turned Upside Down," O'Hara approached the allies and attempted to surrender his sword to his European peer rather than the rebel colonist. Rochambeau recognized the gesture and deferred to Washington. The American commander turned to his own deputy, Benjamin Lincoln, who accepted O'Hara's sword and the British surrender.

Several small skirmishes occurred after Yorktown, but for all practical purposes, the revolutionary war was over. The upheaval and embarrassment over the defeat at Yorktown brought down the British government, and the new officials authorized a treaty on September 3, 1783, that acknowledged the independence of the United States.

Yorktown directly influenced not only the United States but also France. The French support of the United States and their own war against Britain wrecked France's economy. More importantly, the idea of liberty from a tyrant, demonstrated by the Americans, motivated the French to begin their own revolution in 1789 that eventually led to the age of Napoleon and far greater wars.

The fledgling United States had to fight the British again in 1812 to guarantee its independence, but the vast area and resources of North America soon enlarged and enriched the new nation. By the end of the nineteenth century, the United States had become a world power; by the end of the twentieth, it was the strongest and most influential nation in the world.

Before Yorktown, the United States was a collection of rebels struggling for independence. After Yorktown, it began a process of growth and evolution that would eventually lead to its present status as the longest-surviving democracy and most powerful country in history. The American Revolution, beginning at Lexington and Concord and drawing strength from Saratoga, culminated at Yorktown in the most influential battle in history.
SOURCE: http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/topten/index.html

My favorite battle is any battle that American servicemen took part in, from D-Day to Bunker Hill to Baghdad to Gettysburg to Inchon to Ia Drang.

:salute2:

Has to be Guadalcanal. Turning point of the land war in the Pacific during World War II.

Ya reckon? What about Milne Bay. Now that I would say was the turning point old mate.

From Field-marshal Sir William Slim, Defeat Into Victory
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land.*

Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army".

Australian_troops_at_Milne_Bay.jpg
]
Aussie Diggers at Milne Bay

Back