Favorite American President and why.

Teddy Roosevelt. He was larger than life, avid hunter, created the first national parks, and was the only president to earn the Medal of Honor.

Well I am not U.S. citizen, so I don't know very much about your presidents. I still dare to choose Woodrow Wilson, because he was a man behind League of Nations. Even it failed, no-one can blame him from trying to get even U.S into it.

Although not an American Citizen, I think Fraklin Delano Rossevelt is among the greatest of all Presidents. His concerns for his own country and his own people is greatly appcreciated by his own people. I can assure you that.

Id have to agree with Caba. FDR was one of the best. the way he took complete control of the government during his first "100 days" and all the programs he installed have dramatically changed the way America works. He got rid of laissez-faire capitalism and replaced it with a socialized version of capitalism. he fixed America. one of the things that makes him so great is that im typing this as a conservative republican.

Farseer said:
Well I am not U.S. citizen, so I don't know very much about your presidents. I still dare to choose Woodrow Wilson, because he was a man behind League of Nations. Even it failed, no-one can blame him from trying to get even U.S into it.

I like Wilson a lot. The great idealist, he worked himself to death. The commitment and dedication that he displayed makes it hard not to admire him.

Best President

For laughs, I always go with David Rice Atchinson (March 4 1849) who succeeded James Polk for one day because Zachary Taylor would not take the oath of office on a sunday,but my actual favorite is James K. Polk. Although he favored things that I do not and sometimes was underhanded in his dealings, he went into office with an agenda that he had set out beforehand and accomplished them. He served one term, and probably worked himself to death(hedied 3 months after leaving office).He seems to have been a humourless person but this is for favorite and he fits the bill. If a racist (and he was), he was honest about it, unlike Jefferson or for that matter Lincoln. For all the adulation of Roosevelt, it's easy to overlook that that his program wasn't working and he seems to have flirted with fascist designs (court packing) and only the Second World War pulled the US out its depression.It is amazing that Americans always point out that Churchill was such a meddler in military affairs ( a bad thing) while extolling Lincoln, who, if he was illserved by a series of inept generals, was the one who appointed them. Burnside, for heaven's sake tried to turn down his appointment because he knew he wasn't up to the job, but Lincoln insisted and of course had to reieve him after his failure. Burnside shouldn't have been in charge but somehow it seems that most historians shake their head at him and not at the man who appointed him.The same thing applies to Harry Truman with his dealings with Gen MacArthur- you shouldn't get credit for having character when you've created the situation that leads to the crisis(Truman's sneering "If you can't stand the heat..." quote is always brought up as an example of his character, but he bowed out of running in 1952 rather than face the fire). Since James Polk isoften overlooked, I jist kinda like the idea of someone doing what he said he would-and I am aware of all his other faults- arguing with his generals, but ... Best JWC

Good ol George ... no silly people, not Bush. George Washington. If you learn as much as possible about the man, you can't help but be amazed at the quality of that man and how much he did for this country.

Mount Rushmoore does a pretty solid job of nailing four of the best ever. FDR and maybe Ronald Reagan are the only others that likely merit a place next to Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt ... if that were possible. It isn't possible of course.

Bill clinton and Harry truman

Harry truman due to his sudden stop of WW2
Bill Clinton getting cuaght with his pants down so to speak and to get the worlds attention off him and monica he decides to blow up Iraq .Pure gold

Teddy Roosevelt.

Our current gov't is screaming for a guy as bold as Teddy Roosevelt to clean house and cut through all the BS that's piled up.

I hate to pick one....so I won't

Jefferson- He was a very interesting person. he did more in his lifetime than some people could do in 5 lifetimes. He built his own house, collected around 7,000 books,wrote the decleration of Independats, is one of the two people who helped create our political party system. Also created his own version of the Bible, Passed the First Religious law in America's History in Virginia,wanted to go back and fight the British when they took his house,He also founded a University.

FDR-Ummmm. I think he goes without explanation

Clinton- Crazy Enough to Run and Insane enough to manage to keep the office for 8 years.

I have to go with President Dwight D. Eisenhower. I chose him because Ike jump started the U.S. 's internal transportation and made a push for the suburbs. Also he lead the Armed Forces throughout Overlord. Also he tried his best to see that the best happened to the country not just for his party.

Whispering Death said:
Teddy Roosevelt.

Our current gov't is screaming for a guy as bold as Teddy Roosevelt to clean house and cut through all the BS that's piled up.

Yes, we need a person like Teddy right now.

godofthunder9010 said:
Good ol George ... no silly people, not Bush. George Washington. If you learn as much as possible about the man, you can't help but be amazed at the quality of that man and how much he did for this country.

Mount Rushmoore does a pretty solid job of nailing four of the best ever. FDR and maybe Ronald Reagan are the only others that likely merit a place next to Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt ... if that were possible. It isn't possible of course.

Washington is the onlt President that didn't mess with the poloicies of the president before him :)

But My all time favorite would have to be either Regan or Bush ( George W )
Regan because he KNEW that a strong Navy was imperative to our country.
And Bush because weather Iraq is justified or not he's doing what he said he'd do and not wishy washing around about it.

George Washington.

Anyone else could well have succumed to the preasure to install himself as King as so many wished him to do.

That man was about as pure principle as a human can get and still be functional.

Back