Favorite 19th Century firearm

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Thread is simple, turn back the clock and post your favorite, also please explain a thing or two about your choice.

Looking for interesting choices and comments.

Lastly only stipluation is that it must be a firearm, and must be designed and built between the years 1800 and 1899.

Can be any type or cartrige as long as it's from the 19th century era of availibility.

I have six favorite arms form the period.

US Model of 1896 Carbine
Mauser Model C-96 Pistol
Colt Model P of 1873
Winchester Model 1895 Lever Action
Mauser Model 1898 Gewehr
Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun

I think, no I am sure mine would be the 1873 Winchester, catriged in the old 44-40.

Simple and spectacular when engraved.

Model No. 3? You have superior taste indeed, you just need to be careful on the draw and not hit the break action latch if you use a holster, nothing is more embarassing then withdrawing the weapon only to have the shells ejected straight to the ground as it hangs open in your hand.

Model No. 3? You have superior taste indeed, you just need to be careful on the draw and not hit the break action latch if you use a holster, nothing is more embarassing then withdrawing the weapon only to have the shells ejected straight to the ground as it hangs open in your hand.

Yes, I am partial to small arms used in service by Canadian military or police. :peace:

Well.... here is my S&W .38 Double Action 2nd Model (made between 1880 to 1884). Chambered in .38 S&W. It's a smaller five shot design of a Top Break S&W except it's a double action design internally so the trigger assembly is a different creature all together from the S&W Model 3s and Russians.

2011-09-08233951.jpg

2011-09-09142548.jpg

2011-09-09142541.jpg

Beatiful design, this is most defiently one of S&Ws better models from the later half of the 19th century.

Mauser C-96 broomhandle, Winchesters, Double barrels, Colt SAA, S&W #3, A real intrieging one is the Merwin & Hulbert revolver.

There was not a home guard in the Falklands as far as I am aware, but there was a platoon of Royal Marines.

There was not a home guard in the Falklands as far as I am aware, but there was a platoon of Royal Marines.

They had the Falklands Islands Defense Force and during the invasion they fought mostly with No. 4 MkI Enfields. The Royal Marines had FN FAL L1A1 Rifles. When the Falklands surrendered to the Argies they were declared and illegal organization.

A list of weapons available to FIDF

The FIDF operates sniper/reconnaissance, machine gun, close combat, amphibious and logistic support units, co-ordinated by a central command. It has the capability to mount its own armed defence against illegal fishing in Falkland waters. It also fulfills the role of a mountain rescue agency for the archipelago.
[edit] Equipment

Not one LeeEnfield listed Any way that is what is listed if you van believe it

Last edited:
Thread is simple, turn back the clock and post your favorite, also please explain a thing or two about your choice.

Looking for interesting choices and comments.

Lastly only stipluation is that it must be a firearm, and must be designed and built between the years 1800 and 1899.

Can be any type or cartrige as long as it's from the 19th century era of availibility.

It is very easy to say the combination of the Winchester and Colt 1873 models in the 44-40 cartridge (had it myself once) - very practical. However, I should think some military rifles would have been produced in larger volumes. For example the Enfield '58.

Fred​

A list of weapons available to FIDF

The FIDF operates sniper/reconnaissance, machine gun, close combat, amphibious and logistic support units, co-ordinated by a central command. It has the capability to mount its own armed defence against illegal fishing in Falkland waters. It also fulfills the role of a mountain rescue agency for the archipelago.
[edit] Equipment

Not one LeeEnfield listed Any way that is what is listed if you van believe it

Right now they have that equipment... back in the early 1980s when the Argies decided to invade it was a different question all together.

The Royal Marines had L1A1 Rifles, the FIDF had No4 MkI Rifles, and Sterling SMGs. During the war, the Argies had Full-Auto FALs. The Brits ditched theirs and used the Argie Rifles since the Brit Rifles were Semi-Autos.

Here are some links to news articles...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-defended-with-pre-1914-rifles-said-MoD.html

http://falklandia.com/

Last edited:
It is very easy to say the combination of the Winchester and Colt 1873 models in the 44-40 cartridge (had it myself once) - very practical. However, I should think some military rifles would have been produced in larger volumes. For example the Enfield '58.

Fred
Huge numbers of P-53s for the UK & the Empire, + the North & South in the Civil War, some were even made in Belgium & France for the C.W. Large numbers of M-1861 & 1863 Springfields, though the P-53 was better. The P-58, not so much. Winchesters used to great effect in the Russo-Turkish War.

Back