Are you in favor of Korean Reunification?

Red_Army

Koreans would be much stronger if their two countries become united. Therefore, North Korea must fall eventually, whether its by war or collapse.

Here is what a United Korea would look like...
Population: 70,000,000
-north (22,000,000)
-south (48,000,000)

Its highly unlikely that the two would unite anytime soon, it might appear so looking at the unification of West Germany-East Germany, North Vietnam-South Vietnam, etc. but the scenario has changed a lot since that time, N.Korea's has a huge ego and has means to defend it, Nuclear weapons. Nukes change the scenario altogether!

But the North is also spending so much on military, something like a quarter of the gdp, that it's not going to maintain itself for much longer. All they need is china to stop helping them to go downhill, like how the soviets couldn't help the cubans anymore.

I know china doesn't do as much for the north, but they're the closest thing to an ally the north has i suppose.

Who would've thought in the mid 1980s that the Berlin Wall would fall by the end of the decade? We're only in the middle of this decade now. Many things could happen in the years to come. North Korea's people may only stand starvation so long.

Well... it'd be nice.
But it'll work only if we get international aid to rebuild North Korea. If we can attract the level of attention the Tsunami disaster did and get as much help from abroad, re-unification can work out. If not we're screwed.
But either way, North Koreans and South Koreans will dislike each other severely much after unification. South Koreans are insane on bigotry. Basically even the ethnic Koreans from Manchuria are considered outsiders and never truly accepted... even thogh they're basically purely Koreans who speak the language etc., except with a few Chinese habits.
So... either way there's not going to be a party but the population boost will help in the long run.

They talk about that NOW as an "ideal." once the country is united you will see. North Koreans will be treated worse than dirt. I know Koreans. This is just how we are in general.

nice...

I concur with 13th suggestion of world involvement to rehab NK. NK needs alot of help with educations, food supplies, and infrastructure rebuild.

Unification is always tough with two different ideologies, but with global help , I believe NK and Sk can become one. I will love to see it happens during my life time.

me2

meh, i dont see how you can really disgriminate aginist somebody of the same group as you are, just because they have a different political system, like chinese mainlanders like me for example, we do not disgriminate aginist taiwanese at all, we treat them more like lost brothers

The discrimination isn't because they're from a different political system. It's because they're from a different region with a slightly different habit. Even within South Korea there's a divide between Gyungsangdo and Jollado. It becomes very pronounced during election times and usually runs during the regular days as well though obviously at lower temperatures.
So politically the unification is very possible.
Socially, I highly doubt it.

Is that just in korea though? Near the LA area all the koreans i know don't seem to care about things like that. How can you discriminate against people who are virtually the same, i don't see it in any of my korean friends.

I doubt China is fond of the idea, at least behind the scenes.

EDIT: Oh right, am I in favor....

Well sure... as long as it isn't under a red star banner.

WarMachine said:
Is that just in korea though? Near the LA area all the koreans i know don't seem to care about things like that. How can you discriminate against people who are virtually the same, i don't see it in any of my korean friends.

They bunch up in a group of "expat Koreans." So yes they get along. In Korea that's a different story.

I think we'll see Korean unification within the next 20 years, possibly within 10 years. For the sake of the North Korean people the sooner the better.

well i can understand socially how south koreans could exclude and disgriminate aginist nks, it happens around the world when the rich finds itself uncomfortable with the poor

Urbanboy, I told you, it's nothing like that.
It wouldn't matter if North Koreans were rich. They'd still be discriminated against. Though being poor does add to it.

Hmmm...

13th, can you elaborate little bit more on why SK people discriminate against NK people even with equal wealth? Historical event?

More like current events.

South Korean internal bigotry can be found easily in these three cases:
Jollado vs Gyungsangdo. The former is smaller than the latter in territory and population and the rivalry REALLY hots up during election times. Even not during election times it's there. Gyungsangdo people look at the Jollado people as criminals, gangsters and rejects in general. Dunno what the Jollado people think of us but hey. :lol:

South Koreans and ethnic Koreans from China.
Basically they speak Korean, they ARE Korean... but have the odd Chinese habit here and there. Treated completely differently. Even after complete assimilation, once someone knows he's from China, he's treated differently... often in a lower way.

South Koreans with expats.
If you speak English, you're off the hook because English is considered a rare and mysterious and yet highly coveted skill in Korea. If you were raised in Argentina, good luck!

So why would North Koreans be any different?

13th...

Thanks, good info. Could you also elaborate on the odd habits of Chinese ethnic Koreans that differ from main stream Korean social behaviors. Did the anger come from China's long colonization of Korea in the old time?
Are there any social or educational programs that target minimizing the social discrimination?

In Chinna, if you speak English, you are considered as a skilled person; however, as China progresses in a hurry, you must speak good English to be considered as a resource: accentless or near none, capability of holding long conversation with westerners, and business and technical presentation in English etc. The listed qualities are becoming very important in social and job recognitions in China now.

The underlying question, "Are you in favor of Korean Reunification?" would seem to be pretty simple to answer:
Do you favor the starvation and death is currently ongoing in NK?
Would you like to see another Korean War?
Does anyone believe that the people of NK are better off than the people of SK?

So long as we understand that Seoul rules after reunification, then idealogically, the answer if obvious. Fitting that answer into modern conditions in the area is very problematic.

I don't think there is anyone who is not North Korean that honestly believes that a untited Korea would be best off under the rule of Pyonyang.

Back