Are you in favor of Korean Reunification?

--
Boots

April 9th, 2005  
Red_Army

Topic: Are you in favor of Korean Reunification?

Koreans would be much stronger if their two countries become united. Therefore, North Korea must fall eventually, whether its by war or collapse.

Here is what a United Korea would look like...
Population: 70,000,000
-north (22,000,000)
-south (48,000,000)
April 9th, 2005  
Xion

Its highly unlikely that the two would unite anytime soon, it might appear so looking at the unification of West Germany-East Germany, North Vietnam-South Vietnam, etc. but the scenario has changed a lot since that time, N.Korea's has a huge ego and has means to defend it, Nuclear weapons. Nukes change the scenario altogether!
April 9th, 2005  
WarMachine

But the North is also spending so much on military, something like a quarter of the gdp, that it's not going to maintain itself for much longer. All they need is china to stop helping them to go downhill, like how the soviets couldn't help the cubans anymore.

I know china doesn't do as much for the north, but they're the closest thing to an ally the north has i suppose.
--
Boots
April 9th, 2005  
Charge 7

Who would've thought in the mid 1980s that the Berlin Wall would fall by the end of the decade? We're only in the middle of this decade now. Many things could happen in the years to come. North Korea's people may only stand starvation so long.
April 9th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Well... it'd be nice.
But it'll work only if we get international aid to rebuild North Korea. If we can attract the level of attention the Tsunami disaster did and get as much help from abroad, re-unification can work out. If not we're screwed.
But either way, North Koreans and South Koreans will dislike each other severely much after unification. South Koreans are insane on bigotry. Basically even the ethnic Koreans from Manchuria are considered outsiders and never truly accepted... even thogh they're basically purely Koreans who speak the language etc., except with a few Chinese habits.
So... either way there's not going to be a party but the population boost will help in the long run.
April 9th, 2005  
MadeInChina

Quote:
South Koreans are insane on bigotry

really? the south koreans ive met are pretty keen on a unified korea
April 9th, 2005  
A Can of Man

They talk about that NOW as an "ideal." once the country is united you will see. North Koreans will be treated worse than dirt. I know Koreans. This is just how we are in general.
April 9th, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: nice...

I concur with 13th suggestion of world involvement to rehab NK. NK needs alot of help with educations, food supplies, and infrastructure rebuild.

Unification is always tough with two different ideologies, but with global help , I believe NK and Sk can become one. I will love to see it happens during my life time.
April 9th, 2005  
MadeInChina

me2

meh, i dont see how you can really disgriminate aginist somebody of the same group as you are, just because they have a different political system, like chinese mainlanders like me for example, we do not disgriminate aginist taiwanese at all, we treat them more like lost brothers
April 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The discrimination isn't because they're from a different political system. It's because they're from a different region with a slightly different habit. Even within South Korea there's a divide between Gyungsangdo and Jollado. It becomes very pronounced during election times and usually runs during the regular days as well though obviously at lower temperatures.
So politically the unification is very possible.
Socially, I highly doubt it.