Are you in favor of Korean Reunification? - Page 2

--
Boots

April 10th, 2005  
WarMachine

Is that just in korea though? Near the LA area all the koreans i know don't seem to care about things like that. How can you discriminate against people who are virtually the same, i don't see it in any of my korean friends.
April 10th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

I doubt China is fond of the idea, at least behind the scenes.

EDIT: Oh right, am I in favor....

Well sure... as long as it isn't under a red star banner.
April 10th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Is that just in korea though? Near the LA area all the koreans i know don't seem to care about things like that. How can you discriminate against people who are virtually the same, i don't see it in any of my korean friends.
They bunch up in a group of "expat Koreans." So yes they get along. In Korea that's a different story.
--
Boots
April 10th, 2005  
Doppleganger

I think we'll see Korean unification within the next 20 years, possibly within 10 years. For the sake of the North Korean people the sooner the better.
April 10th, 2005  
MadeInChina

well i can understand socially how south koreans could exclude and disgriminate aginist nks, it happens around the world when the rich finds itself uncomfortable with the poor
April 11th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Urbanboy, I told you, it's nothing like that.
It wouldn't matter if North Koreans were rich. They'd still be discriminated against. Though being poor does add to it.
April 11th, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: Hmmm...

13th, can you elaborate little bit more on why SK people discriminate against NK people even with equal wealth? Historical event?
April 11th, 2005  
A Can of Man

More like current events.

South Korean internal bigotry can be found easily in these three cases:
Jollado vs Gyungsangdo. The former is smaller than the latter in territory and population and the rivalry REALLY hots up during election times. Even not during election times it's there. Gyungsangdo people look at the Jollado people as criminals, gangsters and rejects in general. Dunno what the Jollado people think of us but hey.

South Koreans and ethnic Koreans from China.
Basically they speak Korean, they ARE Korean... but have the odd Chinese habit here and there. Treated completely differently. Even after complete assimilation, once someone knows he's from China, he's treated differently... often in a lower way.

South Koreans with expats.
If you speak English, you're off the hook because English is considered a rare and mysterious and yet highly coveted skill in Korea. If you were raised in Argentina, good luck!

So why would North Koreans be any different?
April 11th, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: 13th...

Thanks, good info. Could you also elaborate on the odd habits of Chinese ethnic Koreans that differ from main stream Korean social behaviors. Did the anger come from China's long colonization of Korea in the old time?
Are there any social or educational programs that target minimizing the social discrimination?

In Chinna, if you speak English, you are considered as a skilled person; however, as China progresses in a hurry, you must speak good English to be considered as a resource: accentless or near none, capability of holding long conversation with westerners, and business and technical presentation in English etc. The listed qualities are becoming very important in social and job recognitions in China now.
April 12th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

The underlying question, "Are you in favor of Korean Reunification?" would seem to be pretty simple to answer:
Do you favor the starvation and death is currently ongoing in NK?
Would you like to see another Korean War?
Does anyone believe that the people of NK are better off than the people of SK?

So long as we understand that Seoul rules after reunification, then idealogically, the answer if obvious. Fitting that answer into modern conditions in the area is very problematic.

I don't think there is anyone who is not North Korean that honestly believes that a untited Korea would be best off under the rule of Pyonyang.