Far Cry 2

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
I don't even know who the guy is. All I know is that he pays well and the task involves taking someone out.
It wasn't the first time. The previous night I had blown up a limo carrying God knows who with a rocket at the airfield... along with his bodyguards. A close one. Nearly bought it myself.
My next target, the scrambled voice says, is some guy stuck smack in the middle of some kind of built up area - no doubt surrounded by security. I ride north cautiously and recheck the map. No good. There are far too many buildings... I'll die fighting my way in. I need to find an alternate route. I get off my technical and look around. A foot path! I look at my map and it leads to a spot that is in an excellent overwatch position of the target area. Good thing my main weapon is a scoped M1903.
I reach the overwatch point silently and put the scope to my eye. Identified four tangos... all with automatic rifles... they are not my primary target. I relocate slightly and recheck... another one... wait. He's got his back to me but I can tell he's wearing a suit. I can see both his hands are free. This is the target.
I go prone, line up, relax, let out my breath... pull the trigger gently... the target's head blows up in a puff of red vapor but the heavily armed guards turn to look only after the report of my rifle arrives a few seconds later after tearing through the humid African morning air. Their gazes are lost in the dense jungle surrounding them as I dash behind cover and run for my technical. I ease out of the area... mission accomplished.
I have no idea who I just shot, or who ordered the kill. All I know is that I'm a few diamonds richer and I'll be headed towards a store to get some gear.

And that's just one mission out of several you play in Far Cry 2.
It's like GTA set in the jungles of Africa but I think the engine is much better (though I don't know what GTA IV is like). Quite possibly the best game I've played in a VERY long time.

Thanks for the suggestion. we seem to be running in to each other a lot lately. I just bought the game the other day and haven't been able to start it yet. When I get in to it I will post an update here.

Just glad to see you're okay and got your career on track.
Yeah it's a great game. You probably won't be disappointed if you like blowing sh*t up without end.

Been playing this game to since a few weeks on my XBOX360. really fun game, but it annoyes me that if you take out a roadblock, they re-apear in like 5min.

oh and i love the flame trower , i already burned half of the jungle :p

If you like that definitely give S.T.A.L.K.E.R. a try, same deal only you're in the Chernobyl exclusion zone with lots of guys who want to kill you and mutants.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a reasonably linear storyline to it, but there's still a massive sandbox to play in. You could spend all your time doing nothing but the side quests, and you wouldn't get bored.

As for vehicles...there's nothing to drive. You're walking the whole time. But it's more than worth it. Plenty to see and do...and kill.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a reasonably linear storyline to it, but there's still a massive sandbox to play in. You could spend all your time doing nothing but the side quests, and you wouldn't get bored.

As for vehicles...there's nothing to drive. You're walking the whole time. But it's more than worth it. Plenty to see and do...and kill.

i saw it in a store for not much money, i tink i'll go get it :p

Once you get it make sure you get Oblivion Lost 2.2 mod. It's a compilation of mods that adds a LOT to the experience. It puts some mutants that were cut back in, adds lots of new firearms, changes the combat to be more realistic, makes the graphics better, and adds depth to the artifact system which was kind of basic in the unmodded STALKER. It even adds BTRs and military trucks you can drive. They make getting around much easier but I preferred to walk anyways because STALKER is all about exploration.

well got into this tunnel today, really dark with my flaslight on. i'm even schooting at nothing, man i'm jumpy when playing these kind of games :p

Better to be shooting at nothing, than not shooting at something. And trust me...it gets MUCH worse.

hahahahaha damn you got me really scared now.

did you ever play Doom3? this made me jump up so many times i quit playing it :p i hope this wont happen this time :p

Yeah, I've played Doom 3 a few times. Definitely had an itchy trigger finger playing that game.

I'm playing this now, its alot of fun. And you 2nd Amendment fans are going to love it. Ill agree with Redneck favorite gun is the Scoped 1903, MAC-10 as a side arm and RPG-7. Although I am about to swap the .03 for a Dragunov thats caught my eye. Also looking to change the G3K4 for an AK-47.

Yeah, it's like a gun lover's friggin' orgasm party.

My only criticism about the guns is some of the choices they made. I mean how many USAS shotguns, silenced MP5 and .50 Sniper rifles are there in Africa? There are not even that many in the USA. And I why no FN-FAL (a very common sight) or Striker (Street Sweeper) which is a from Africa? Also I am surprised by the few WWII weapons, after the war Africa become a dumping ground for surplus weapons, espicially German. I would expected to see a few more KAR98 and MP40 and less 1903 and AR-16.

I am working on all the dimonds so I can buy all the guns (heh.heh.heh)

My only other grip, is all the driving. Getting across the map can take me as long as my drive to work.

Yeah and the dead check point guys respawn too quickly.
The weapons too. Would have loved to see more exotic Warsaw pact and World War II stuff.
As for the driving, for some, that's what they wanted, a massive open area to do their fun. But again, the check points...
Would have been nice if you could hunt your own food!
And some of the damage as well. Dudes walk away from a .50 cal hit! As we say in the gamer world OMFGNFW!!!!

Back