"Family Matters" Discussion/Debate

With various reasons in mind, is there a point a family should stop having children?

• Yes (State Further Opinion in Thread Please)

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No (State Further Opinion in Thread Please)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Middle Ground (State Further Opinion in Thread Please)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I think the main thing that should be taken into consideration is how are they supporting these children. I get upset when I see people having kids just for the welfare. However, here in Alaska it is more than that as every member of the household qualifies for a yearly dividend, and some families have 10 children and live off of welfare and yet when they receive those multiple checks of 1k+ each they still receive food stamps. Imagine having 17 kids and 2 adults that is 19 checks. Next year it is estimated to be about 2,200 per person. That is almost $42k, tax free and on food stamps with free lunches that our sales taxes pay for. We do not have a state tax.

I think the main thing that should be taken into consideration is how are they supporting these children. I get upset when I see people having kids just for the welfare. However, here in Alaska it is more than that as every member of the household qualifies for a yearly dividend, and some families have 10 children and live off of welfare and yet when they receive those multiple checks of 1k+ each they still receive food stamps. Imagine having 17 kids and 2 adults that is 19 checks. Next year it is estimated to be about 2,200 per person. That is almost $42k, tax free and on food stamps with free lunches that our sales taxes pay for. We do not have a state tax.

That is INSANE.

That is INSANE.

Tell me about. Went to pizza hut one time and there was a woman that had 14 children and twins on the way. She stated if they were born before Jan 1 that she could file for them as well.

If they didn't have so many children all the residents in Alaska would receive more.

I am of mixed emotions on this one. Background: I am the oldest of nine children, so I can sympathize with some of the opinions stated. My mother and father both came from large families (six kids in each one). All of my aunts and uncles had families of at least three kids to a maximum of nine (one set of twins). I have a total of 26 cousins on my mother's side and 18 cousins on my fathers side.
Having said all of that, there is a point where having more kids has to be balanced against the quality of life and the futures of the kids you already have, given the financial circumstances you find yourself in. If you are a multi-millionaire, and health is not an issue, then perhaps it may be OK. But if you are living hand-to-mouth in a hellhole, then you ought to have your head examined or consider a vasectomy if your a man.

Last edited:
Back