Family History - Page 2

--

June 5th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Ted...you say the Dutch don't have much of military history, well who was it that took on the Spanish Occupation of Europe all those years ago, and they have fought a stream of invaders ever since
June 6th, 2006  
zander_0633

Yeah, they even got foreign overseas territory!
August 4th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

The paternal side of my family can be traced back to the 1600s. The "patriarch", or whatever you want to call him, was a notary in Naples or a small town near Naples. My maternal family can be traced until the late 1800s I believe. Most of them were living in Eastern Prussia I think. Apparently, some were ethnic Poles.

Family military history: My maternal grandfather was a paramilitary engineer guy...or something who worked with the military on the eastern front during WW2. Near the end of the war he fled westwards (probably against orders) and was captured by the British. He died when I was about 8, so I don't know much of what he did or felt during the war and in captivity.
Paternal: One guy who's somehow related to me (great great uncle) was awarded the Gold Medal (I think it's the Italian equivalent of the American Medal of Honor) posthumously in WW2. I think he was a sniper fighting the Austrians. One time he had an enemy who was looking very young, green and inexperienced in his sights but spared him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Ted...you say the Dutch don't have much of military history, well who was it that took on the Spanish Occupation of Europe all those years ago, and they have fought a stream of invaders ever since
And conquered one hell of an insular empire: Indonesia.
--
October 31st, 2006  
LeEnfield

For a bit of fun I have been working on our family tree for the last few months and had have traced some 2,500 descendants dating back to 1400's. Now I have traced people to every continent and doing a whole wide range of things. From an Australian branch of the family I have been sent copies of some very interesting letters dealing with the Australian Light Horse during the Boer War and the siege of Mafeking. Now I did promise not to put these on the web, so I will keep my promise, but if you want to do some thing interesting then a family tree can really open your eyes to the past. I have found every thing from Chief of Police to Convicts, but the number of ex servicemen and women is some thing to behold and it surprising just what you can turn up.
November 5th, 2006  
Prince

i love sitting around with my grandparents and talking to them about the days gone by. me and my grandfather talk for hours
November 17th, 2006  
AussieNick

I've listed a short bit of info on my serving relatives, their role/rank if I know it, service, period and theatre/famous actions.

My uncle (Fathers side) - Australian army 1970-1992, Orndnance.
My grandfather (Mothers side) - Royal Merchant Navy, WW2, North Atlantic, Arctic Convoy, Middle East and Italy campaign.
My grandfathers brother - Major, British Paras, WW2, Market Garden - and he made it out
My Great Uncle - M Special Unit "coast watchers" WW2, Papua, Timor, Balikpapan
My grandmother (mothers side) - Nurse, British Army, WW2, Dunkirk and home duties
Grandmothers brother - Royal Australian Navy Able Seaman (gunner), WW2, Battle of the Coral Sea
My great grandfather - Captain Royal Navy, WW1
My other great grandfather - Captain Royal Navy, WW1
My other other great grandfather - Light Horseman, 3rd Light Horse, WW1, Gallipoli, Palestine

I have a lot to live up to.

Quote:
From an Australian branch of the family I have been sent copies of some very interesting letters dealing with the Australian Light Horse during the Boer War and the siege of Mafeking
Interesting stuff. I've been trying to get as much info as I can on my great grandfather (the light horseman) through the Australian War Memorial. It takes some time but it's well worth looking into.
If you (or anybody else on here) wants to look at the records of their ancestors who served in the Australian military here is a link
http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp
November 18th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

Does anyone know how I can find out more about my forefathers? Trace or something? I have no much knowldge of them
November 19th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMacbeth
Does anyone know how I can find out more about my forefathers? Trace or something? I have no much knowldge of them
What nationality are they.
November 22nd, 2006  
C/2nd Lt Robot

My family comes from Scotland at around 1205. Long history of military service, therefore it is only proper to have a destoryer named after us. The USS Boyd DD-544, she's beautiful. http://www.destroyers.org/uss-boyd/boyd_1960z.htm And also only proper that I continue that proud military tradition.
August 18th, 2007  
LeEnfield

Now i have been missing for a few months so lets add a bit here. In 1942 during operation Torch in North Africa the American planners came up with a great idea of taking the Port of Oran. In their wisdom the decided to send in two Royal Navy ships loaded with American soldiers a couple of hours after the main beach assaults had taken place. When the two royal Navy ships steamed into Oran harbour to try and take it every French gun was loaded and ready to fire the two ships were both lost and nearly every American soldier on board, along with my two uncles on HMS Hartland. The skipper of the second Royal Navy ship lived to tell the tale and was awarded the VC, but fate had not finished as on the way home to collect the award his plane that he was on was shot down and every one on board was killed.
The picture below is of HMS Hartland just before she blew up and sank.