Family air raid stories

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
These were told to me by my granddad and my granny of two incidents during air raids.

My granddad joined the Home Guard during WW2, one day after patrolling the local gas works he went for a pint in the local pup just across the road from his home. As he was sitting down at the bar to drink his pint, the pub windows exploded into millions of pieces, he needless to say threw himself on the floor.

A German bomber heading towards the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock was shot down by a Spitfire, as the aircraft was going down, one of the gunners open fired on the pub. The bomber hit a row of terraced houses not far from the pub flattening half a dozen house or so, also causing untold damage to houses opposite when it blew up.

Apparently my granddad who was thankfully unhurt got to his feet and shouted while dusting himself down, “I hated bloody Jerry in the last lot (referring to WW1) I detest the bastards now.” He was upset that his pint went for a Burton and had to buy another one.

The bullet marks on the pub walls (pointed out to me by my granddad as he told me the story) were still there when I was a boy.

Where the bomber crashed, new semi detached houses were built after the war.

My granny and two aunts had a near miss during another air raid.

They decided to go to the cinema one evening, as they sat down to watch the film a notice came up on the screen, “Air Raid Take Cover.” My granny refused to go into the public shelter near the cinema and decided to take her chance walking home. As they were some distance away they were thrown down on the road by a huge blast. When they got up and realised what had happened, the public shelter took a direct hit, killing everyone inside.

My granny apparently in her typical unruffled manner said, “That was close.” then continued walking home.They were made of stern stuff in those days

The British have been historically known for their stiff upper lip and "blitz spirit" as demonstrated during the German bombings of World War II. This "grin and bear" attitude in the face of adversity or embarrassment lives on today.

Mr Brit, your granny must be related to ol' Churchill! From what I read in the history books, now that was a man that had ice running in his veins...

From what I read in thistory books, too, I take note that people in Britain had a sense of humor coping with the situation. I recalled one incident (that I read, of course), they had just rescued a lady from her damaged house after a bombing raid. They asked if her husband was in the house, she replied, "No, he is in Libya, fighting... the bloody coward!". Now, like your granny, that is English courage!

I see- ooopsss, sorry, Mr Brit...

Nowt to apologise for Viper. Scottish ex SAS Sergeant Stone on TV once said, "75% of SAS troopers are Jocks, cos we're hard bastards."

My granddad was Southern Irish, my mum was Welsh and my dad was English, so in effect I have all 4 nationalities in me lol

Last edited:
Back