A Family Affair

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
Got this in my inbox today. A silent salute to the family for its sacrifices. :salute2:

Two stories, two heroes

Gilbert R. Collier, Corporal, US Army

On July 20th 1953 then Corporal Collier, F Company, 2nd Battalion, 223rd Infantry regiment, 40th Infantry Division, earned the 130th Medal of Honor of the war.

He was point man and assistant leader of a night combat patrol when he and his leader slipped and fell from a 60 ft cliff, the incapacitated leader ordered the patrol back to friendly lines.

Although suffering from a painful back injury, Corporal Collier voluntarily remained with his leader. The two managed to crawl to the next valley where they waited until nightfall. Shortly after leaving their hideout, they were ambushed. In the ensuing firefight, Corporal Collier killed two of the enemy but was mortally wounded and separated from his companion. Out of ammunition, he closed with four of the enemy with his bayonet. Mortally wounded in the fight, he died while trying to reach and assist his leader.

SGT Russell L. Collier

Russell L. Collier did the same thing as our uncle did. While on foot patrol, his troop came under enemy fire in Iraq on October 3rd 2003. His commander told the troop where they were, but he was behind a berm so he moved to see where the enemy fire was coming from. Before the commander could reach the berm, he was shot.

SGT Collier, being a medic, grabbed his bag out of the truck and went to the aid of his commanding officer. As SGT Collier reached his C.O., he was shot by enemy fire and laid over his commander's body.

So you see these are my two heroes who never met in their lives, but I know when my cousin Russell Collier reached Heaven our uncle was there, waiting for him, to show him the way home with the rest of our family.

Thank you for reading this.

Wanda Emerson

Back