False Translations

Englander2

While welcoming your attempts to separate political from military discussions, I wonder, whether you will always be able to avoid the entanglements of both which so often occur. For this reason, I would ask the moderators to choose the section most suitable for this post to be placed in.
Often it is the translations of languages, politically manipulated, which turn the bare facts of military action into fictive legends generally accepted by the populations of many nations. The English Language newspaper "Prague Post" which on the whole has a good reputation, is also not innocent of such dissimulation, when it comes to patriotic elaboration, as the following quotations show:
( 1. By Anna Ondrejikova) "The Czech state was completely independent before 1620. After the Habsburg defeated the czechs, .... twenty-seven Czech lords were executed."
( 2. By Jiri Hubacek) "In 1621 at the battle of "White Mountain"(Bila Hora)Austrian invaders together with the armies of various principalities of what later become Germany defeated Czech forces."
In truth, this struggle for power in Europe was religious rather than national. The catholic forces were loyal to the Austrian King, but it was the Polish Cavalry with their two sided swords, who turned defeat into victory while fighting uphill against the protestants.
Of the forces fighting against the Catholics, including many Hungarians, were together with their Aristocratic leaders, Bohemians of German lineage. Of the above mentioned twenty-seven executed, (their names are carved on to stones in Prague), eleven were in this category,
The Queen of Bohemia at the time, Was the British born "Princess Palatine of the Rhine." Daughter of The King of Britain and his wife Anne of Denmark. Frederick, the Elector Palatine was also not of Czech origin but a German, invited by the protestants to be the King, of Bohemia.
It was such misleading interpretations as above, during the peace conference in Paris, following WW1 (Bohemia falsely being translated to mean Czech Land), which later led to the trouble with the Sudeten Germans and the often criticised "Munich Agreement."
Does anybody using these lines, have details of the exact military formations before battle of the "White-mountain" started? It would be useful in discussions with young Czechs, who are more open to the historical truths than were the generations who underwent a communist education.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a help or not but have you looked at the book "The Later Thirty Years War From the Battle of Wittstock to the Treaty of Westphalia." by William P. Guthrie. Book Code: GM2408. ISBN: 0-313-32408-5.

Continuing where the author left off in Battles of the Thirty Years War, this companion volume details the military aspects of the final years of this important early modern conflict. Whereas the earlier half of the war was dominated by a few climactic battles (White Mountain, Lutter, Breitenfeld, and Nordlingen), the later period consisted of a more drawn-out struggle between more evenly matched opponents. The successful general had to conduct strategic campaigns, in which battles, sieges, maneuvers, and logistics would all play a part. Guthrie examines broad questions of strategy, leadership, armaments, organization, logistics, and war finances. Battles detailed in this volume include the Swedish victories of Wittstock, 2nd Breitenfeld, and Jankow; the French victories of Rheinfelden, Rocroi, Freiburg, and 2nd Nordlingen; as well as the anticlimactic action of Zusmarhausen. Guthrie emphasizes the unique aspects of the Thirty Years War, its place in the evolution of warfare and weapons, and the adjustment of the actual waging of war to the rise of the nascent linear system. Based on research previously unavailable in English, each campaign is recreated in detail, including orders of battle, tactics, and maps.

Last edited:
Thank you for your tip MontyB, I will see what I can find.

No problem, a friend was a European History professor and now publishes books and that was the one he recommended, unfortunately I have no idea whether it suits your needs or not as I know nothing about the events.

Back