Falklands

viper2007

I know this is rather an old story and probably not interesting enough to most people. But have a few new members who were actually there, on the grounds experiencing it, while most of us were just reading about it.

I would like to know more about this conflict. Not just from what we read and saw on the tv, but real life stories, either first hand account or handed down accounts.

My focus would be as follows-

1. Why did the British decided to defend an territory many thousand miles away from UK
2. What is the reaction of the military when ordered to retake the islands?
3. Was it as bad as some of the news we heard?
4. How good was the opposition, in this case the Argentinians?

I would like to appeal to my fellow forumers not to politicise this, just the stories and the challenges faced, and the the overcoming of those challenges faced.

Thank you.

I didn't actually serve in the Falklands during the war, I went there 9 years later. The islanders are fiercely proud of their British territory status. We weren't defending a foreign island. We were protecting our own citizens.

On TV at the moment is a documentary regarding the RM and Para MO's and medics. Bloody wonderful work done on both British and Argentine wounded. Operations were carried out with two unexploded bombs in the roof space at the field hospital at Ajax Bay.

Last edited:
On TV at the moment is a documentary regarding the RM and Para MO's and medics. Bloody wonderful work done on both British and Argentine wounded. Operations were carried out with two unexploded bombs in the roof space at the field hospital at Ajax Bay.

Do you have the title of the documentary, Opa Brit?

The Argentinean Air Force put up a fight if I remember correctly from the literature and documentaries I have read and seen about the war. Their Marines fought well against the Scots Guards at one of the mountains west of Port Stanley

The Argentinean Air Force put up a fight if I remember correctly from the literature and documentaries I have read and seen about the war. Their Marines fought well against the Scots Guards at one of the mountains west of Port Stanley

It was called "Falklands Combat Medics."

Most of the Argentine troops were green conscripts, but the regular Argentine troops such as the Marines as you pointed, out were very good. The Argentine Navy pilots also were brave and skilled pilots, but lost many pilots due to the Harrier and ground fire. Heck if I remember rightly, even the NAAFI manager on board Canberra had a go at Argentine aircraft with a GPMG.

A chap I worked with was a helmsman on Canberra years before the Falklands, he reckoned she was unlucky and was surprised she came back afloat.

The chap to talk to about the Falklands is NP8901, he was there.

Last edited:

Mount Tumbledown.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSqPQwfk3c"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSqPQwfk3c[/ame]

I've been on the battlefield tour of the Falklands. Tumbledown was formidable in the summer when I was there, I wouldn't have liked to be there during the winter when the war took place.

fi-1.jpg

This is me with one of the captured Argentinian fighter planes.

img003-1.jpg

This is the main road between Mount Pleasant airport and Port Stanley!!

img005.jpg

Mount Pleasant airport from the skies. (going home!! :D )

img006-1.jpg

Lovely beach near Port Stanley. (Unfortunately heavily land mined by the Argentinian forces and too dangerous to enjoy!!)

img008-2.jpg

Main road to Port Stanley (Heavily land mined both sides of the road!!)

img018.jpg

img027.jpg

img035.jpg

Bleak desolate landscape - and that was during the summer!!!

img019.jpg

Liberation monument on Port Stanley main road.

img038.jpg

One of a number of memorial monuments scattered round the island (I believe this one is on Mt Tumbledown.

Please excuse the graininess of the photos. I scanned my old photos taken with an old 35mm camera as there was no such things as digital cameras back in 1991. ;)

Thank you, thank you, and thank you, gentlemen... This is wonderful indeed. Please keep it coming...

The plane in the photos is a Pucarra, I believe. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

It is strange that the islanders regarded themselves as British subjects, although they are thousands of miles away, I suppose the spirit of nationalism is very strong, something you do not see very often nowadays.

I would like to hear more, if I may...

And this bazooka thingy, 42RM, care to elaborate? I heard it somewhere before, but it was brief and short. It would really be a feat of gunnery, if I may so say...

Thank you, thank you, and thank you, gentlemen... This is wonderful indeed. Please keep it coming...

The plane in the photos is a Pucarra, I believe. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

It is strange that the islanders regarded themselves as British subjects, although they are thousands of miles away, I suppose the spirit of nationalism is very strong, something you do not see very often nowadays.

I would like to hear more, if I may...

And this bazooka thingy, 42RM, care to elaborate? I heard it somewhere before, but it was brief and short. It would really be a feat of gunnery, if I may so say...

They are British, they want to stay British. The history of the Falklands Islands; they were a part of the logistical network which the RN created around the world and the whaling stations located there as well.

I have heard things; silent whispers, if the conflict had continued for a week or so, the outcome might have been different due to the supplies.

Thanks, Opa Brit, I will look for the documentary.
Thanks for the vid, leatherneck

Any attempts to clear the mine fields?

They are British, they want to stay British. The history of the Falklands Islands; they were a part of the logistical network which the RN created around the world and the whaling stations located there as well.

I have heard things; silent whispers, if the conflict had continued for a week or so, the outcome might have been different due to the supplies.

Watching various documentaries the main concern about the war going on longer was the state of the ships, they had taken such a pounding due to bad weather they would have to withdraw to a friendly port for repairs and whatever matelots do in port.

Thanks, Opa Brit, I will look for the documentary.

My pleasure 13. An interest fact, the head medical officer was awarded the O.B.E. or in his words the award was for "Other Bastards Efforts," He was also awarded an Argentine Medal for his work saving Argentine wounded. He wrote to the Queen asking what he should do with it, she replied that he should "wear it." he stated, "I wear the medal with Her Majesty's permission."

Let the old boy himself tell the story.
Hey, Colour where are you?

Colour claims that he is working in the field until Sunday. A Scot who works is as unthinkable as a sober Irishman.

Back