Fair winds and following seas.

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
Fair winds and following seas - toast and benediction.

I'm a retiree that has split service - 5 years Army and a little over 15 years in the Navy. I retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer on June 30, 1992 with 20 yr 17 day (day for day active).

Since then I've worked at various part time jobs - most notably security.

I just turned 61 on the 22nd of November - don't feel it though - am fortunate. On some days knees and back bother - life of sin and debauchery walking the swaying deck of a rolling and pitching Navy ship.
Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear.

When I retired, I tried to put the military behind me to no avail. Every time that Bush appears in public and mouths his platitudes and excuses it makes my blood boil.

Too many good and honorable friends and shipmates have died recently because of his lies. As you can tell Bush IS NOT one of my favorite people.

I found this forum quite by accident - I was looking for the full toast and benediction of:
'Fair winds and following seas and long may your big jib draw!"

The search led to this forum - so here I am.

Alright! Another navy guy! Hey im Navy Boy and im in NJROTC and im a C/PO3 soon to be a C/PO2 after chrimas I hope. And I agree with you about Bush this

Mod Edit: Rachet down.

Welcome to the Forum Chief. Beware MiliDar, he's got an aversion to ship bells. :lol:

Why the split if I may ask?

Welcome Chief. I'd whistle you aboard but the only musical instrument I can play is the radio. I know how you feel about the knees, feet, elbows, hands. I think I wore my joints out weightlifting, 12 oz at a time, for 40+ years. ;)

Thanks for the welcome - feels like the 'Goat Locker'

Ding-Ding Ding. . .Chief arriving.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Feels like I've come home to the 'Goat Locker' (CPO mess for those who don't know).

My split service owes itself to the fact that the first 5 years took place during Vietnam. Uncle Sam (in the guise of the Army) :cen: pissed me the :cen: off to the max and when I decided (10 years later) to return to active duty I chose Navy over Army.

It makes it very difficult for me to decide who to cheer for during the annual 'Army/Navy' football game. I finally decided to cheer for one team one year and then to cheer for the other team the next year - it's Navy's turn this year.

As far as piping me aboard - don't worry - I'm the proud owner of a Bosn's Pipe and a Ship's Bell and can announce myself when coming aboard. I also have the flag which was flying from the mast the day I retired (part of the love me box presented at my retirement ceremony). I also have a Naval Cutlass (part of my formal Chief's uniform) used to repel unwanted boarder. ;) lol ;)

I hope to NOT get into too much trouble if I take exception to an un-American opinion. On one of the other forums I participate in, some idiot has accused our young men and women of being rapists and murderers (without one scintilla of proof - rumor only). If that don't make your blood boil I don't know what would.

Oh well - Just thought I'd say thanks.

Ding-Ding Ding. . .Chief departing. ;) lol ;)

Re: Thanks for the welcome - feels like the 'Goat Locker'

Chief Bones said:
I also have a Naval Cutlass (part of my formal Chief's uniform) used to repel unwanted boarder. ;) lol ;)

I'm glad I'm not a boarder. :shock:I'm not sure, but I've heard Bulldog is one. :twisted:

Tis a smear on me honour that is rocket-in-yer-pocket man... tis no Border Collie runnin thru me veins! Tis nuthin but pure Bull...erm...Dogg, yes Bulldogg, that's what it tis. Pistols at dawn (smacks Missileer with his doggie glove) if ye have any honour good sir!!

Back