A Fact Ignored...

viper2007

Not many people know of this, but Singapore did sent an astronaut to space, when the Space Shuttle Program was in operation back then. Here is the story about it. The names were change in the interest of security...

Beng was the selected Singaporean to be part of the Space Shuttle space program sometime in the early 90's. Unfortunately due to security reasons, Beng was sent up with a group of chimpanzees, no doubt also trained for this sort of stuff.

Everything went without a glitch. When the vessel was in orbit, Houston got into communication with the space vessel- "Orchid 1, Orchid 1, this is Houston, come in..."

Beng happily got to the mike and responded, "Hello Houston, Hello Houston, this is Beng. Do you have any instruction for me..." Houston replied, "Orchid 1, this is Houston. Beng, hold one moment... Let us speak to the chimp..." Beng reluctantly handed the mike to one of the chimp.

Houston then gave a series of instructions to the chimps. All the chimps started to jump into action, moving around turning knobs and pressing buttons. All this is happening with Beng just looking on, rather incredulously, amazed. Beng then grabbed the mike from one of the chimp, and responded, "Houston, this is Beng, any instructions for me?" Houston responded, "Beng, this is Houston, wait one... please put the chimp back on..."

By now, Beng was rather upset with the whole situation, and quietly pass the mike the to chimp. Houston continued with the series of instructions given. It would seemed that the chimps are running the show, Beng thought.

After about ten minutes, the chimps then started to make some funny noises, appearing agitated. Houston then called one more time. "Orchid 1, this is Houston. Beng, please respond..."

Beng took the mike. "Houston, this is Beng. What are my instructions...?" Houston responded, "Beng, listen very carefully now. Repeat to us if you do not understand this.
1. Feed the monkey
2. Change the diapers of one of the chimp
3. Do not provoke the monkey..."

Last edited:
Back