Fact or Fiction?

Nolimit2far

I'm close to the end of my first enlistment and strongly considering enlisting in the army. I've heard if you re-enlist directly into the army from marine corps prior to your EAS they will cut some time off of your current enlistment.

Thoughts? :rockin:

You need to check that. Used to be a recruiter could not even really talk to you before your EAS. Fishing in anothers pond and so forth. It might have changed.

me personally, ive never heard that. i know that when u sign up for the military you can go 4 active and 4 inactive... weather or not you can change branches after your EAS date, im pretty sure its possible, but i dont think they will "cut time off" of your current active duty...

I'm close to the end of my first enlistment and strongly considering enlisting in the army. I've heard if you re-enlist directly into the army from marine corps prior to your EAS they will cut some time off of your current enlistment.

Thoughts? :rockin:

I would think that the current branch of service would decide on when they would separate you based more on logistics.
Example,
Your current unit is being deployed soon and they don't want to send you just to bring you back in a month for separation. When they separate you, would really be based on the services needs. Your case the Marines.

As far as talking to an Army recruiter about enlisting, since he is not actively recruiting you, it would not go against any agreements between services, not to recruit the other's personnel.

With reenlistment bonus being so high and usually other incentives like choice of duty station, training, etc. it would be prudent to see what the Marines would offer for reenlistment.

I am not familiar with what enlistment bonuses you may be eligible for from the Army.

One other consideration is your time in the marines may not count much for advancement. It could be while you may retain your current rank, when changing branch your time in grade might start over.

If you are sure that you will reenlist check all your options carefully.

Last edited:
One other consideration is your time in the marines may not count much for advancement. It could be while you may retain your current rank, when changing branch your time in grade might start over.

The Marine Corps is the only branch in which, while reenlisting you would start over as a private....even if you made it to SSgt in the Army, once again...private in the USMC...

Back