Face of Defense: Soldier Who Led Last Bayonet Charge Dies

Chukpike

Banned
Strongly suggest you read the full article. Tried for desertion in WWII, Medal Of Honor winner in Korea.

"As a sergeant serving in Italy during the war, his desertion to join the Canadian forces caught up to him. He was court-martialed, fined $52 and denied leave. A few weeks later, he was awarded a battlefield commission."

http://www.defenselink.mil//news/newsarticle.aspx?id=56792

"WASHINGTON, Nov. 20, 2009 – Retired Army Col. Lewis L. Millett, who earned the Medal of Honor during the Korean War for leading what reportedly was the last major American bayonet charge, died Nov 14."

A real American hero.
I did a paper about his leading the bayonet charge in the Korean war for one of my ROTC classes. Got a good grade, probably because of the subject matter and not my writing skills.

Yes I did read about his passing and some bits about his military career.
He's at a place with no war now.
I hope his passing was comfortable and that his family will recover soon.
Anyone who killed North Koreans is a 1st grade hero in my book.

Wow! I never even knew of this! That is what I call a war hero! It reminds me of a war hero we had who died in the Falklands by doing like a suicide jump and blind firing. He got killed in it of course but he got a VC and it encouraged his troops to the same and they pushed the Argentinians back. But yet, what he did doesn't even compare to what Millet did. That is some brave leadership. He even stayed when wounded!

Heck i never knew that, I'm reminded of that brave British officer down in the Falklands!

But i thought Mel Gibson led the last bayonet charge?

It might be the last US bayonet charge, but there have been bayonet charges by British troops since then, both in the Falklands and Iraq.

It might be the last US bayonet charge, but there have been bayonet charges by British troops since then, both in the Falklands and Iraq.

True, I heard about a Brit one outside of Basra was it?
Takes a special kind of grits to charge an armed enemy with just a pointy stick..

Valhalla is up one warrior.
I hope his family can find some solace in his actions while on this earth.

//KJ.

Back