F-35 unintentional loop at takeoff on a carrier

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
This guy clearly has brass and you know the sailors on the flight deck had a cow when they saw this unfold in front of them. Intentional? Hardly!

This is unbelievable!

F-35 unintentional loop at takeoff a real "check your laundry" event.

A supremely well-trained US Navy pilot, ice running in his veins instead of blood, fully regains control of his $70 million, F-35 joint strike force fighter, after a problematic vertical take-off attempt... Watch as the rear vertical thruster fires to cause the problem.

There's nothing about this the pilot enjoys. If he could have ejected at 100' upside down and lived, he would have. Looks like the afterburner kicks in while still vectored for vertical takeoff. Lockheed would call this a "software malfunction" and do a little more "regressive testing". This is a good demonstration of power-to-weight ratio of this aircraft! And talk about stability control... wow!

If he didn't come out of the loop wings-level, it probably would have been bad news; maybe taking some of the carrier with him!

Add to this flying through your own exhaust, which can lead to equipment malfunctions, as in "flame out". The F-35 is single engine aircraft with vertical takeoff/landing capability, but it has the aerodynamics of a Steinway piano at zero airspeed. This is the most unbelievable piece of flying you will ever see in your life.

This guy's coolness saved a 70 million-dollar aircraft! On the other hand, he might not have had time to react to anything except just ride it.

I bet you'll watch it at least 2 times!

http://mail.verizon.com/webmail/dri...d=INBOX&mid=48934&disp=attachment&partIndex=1

Last edited:
...but it has the aerodynamics of a Steinway piano at zero airspeed....
Ermm, from my layman POV towards fighter jets understanding (I am guessing here you are talking *lift*, right? Because the pure aerodynamics as feature are supposedly always the same - if not F111 or similar variable - over different speeds and attitudes) this goes for anything, be it a piano, an a/c, a person or even a tree - though those latter are fixed in the ground, like houses e.g. , which might add to the aerodynamic lift creation problem at whatever airspeed...

Irony apart, in aerodynamics it is considered an axiom that lift is induced through (air) speed, so at zero airspeed the result of aerodynamic lift created on whatever formed geospherical body would be ... zero.

Steinway or F-35, thats the irrelevant part here for comparison. Current validate aerodynamics law: Zero airspeed >> Zero lift.

Just to pull your chain,

Rattler

EDIT: Just now looked at the vid, sorry, but that is fake (and no fake: Its virtual). Looks real, but thats just what todays consoles are tasked for: Make things look real (and we old farts of my age are probably the last generation that will be able to tell the difference, our kids are doomed as they will buy anything that *looks* real...).

Additionaly, on research I realized you 1:1 quoted the text from the original poster of this "Urban Legend" vid as if you had been writing it personally, without mentioning this here: Obviously then my before attack does not go to you but to him the original author, but OTOH and bothering me more: Who would in his sincere and able mind post stuff that he has absolutely no understanding about on whatever forum? Are you Karl, by any chance?

Just so you dont get me wrong: Not everybody has to understand about aerodynamics, or war birds, or aerobatics or aircraft carriers. But its also not wrong to admit so and maybe ask a question instead of making a statement (left to cross examination by whaterver experts or non-experts) when stumbling over somnething that is out of your knowledge class. I, e.g., dont know nothing about tropical fish, but then I also would never post a text as mine who someobody who assumedly has knowledge of those anmimals has posted before, as I would not really be able to calibrate the seriousness (or nonsense, as happened here) or importance of the content posted by that person.

Maybe a hint for your future career, dont take it as a rebuff, it made me smile... :) And thats a good thing in those hard times, all by itself (and much appreciated).

Still, I hereby reserve the right to copy/link the relevant parts of your post for an educational thread on another forum´s mil aviation section.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtU0aRu7Co"]YouTube - Airplane F 35 Vertical Takeoff Flip[/ame]

R.

Last edited:
Ouch, should have looked at the first posters name before posting (or bothering to post) a reply, just now realize I pulled the pants of a Forum Moderator, standing by for incoming...

:hide:

Rattler

That's a video game... It's just Battlefield 2...

It's a silly silly action game... they didnt even try to make it realistic.

Back