F-35 offer to India

rock45

Just read an troubling article about how the US is trying hard to get the 126 aircraft order from India. The F-35 is now thrown into the mixed and the F-16 is now being sold as the transition to a fifth generation fighter, which has no parallel among the competition. Orders could be filled starting 2014 for India this isn't a problem because this wouldn't have chosen a fighter yet, sorry couldn't help myself. As a US tax payer I don't like this because India has a pretty modern aircraft industry on which to copy. A deal like this might jump or advance Hal Industries 10 years. Russia would be looking over they shoulder too I don't like this I get a bad feel on this. There should be enough follow up orders for F-35s and newer blocks to be produced after that we (the US) doesn't have to do this. Don't sell Pakistan anymore Vipers and offer kick ass F-16 Block-60/70 to India and be done with this. Unless India becomes the next England, Australia,or Japan, type allied to the United States and do it fast I say no to this. Its like a car maker selling a new model design to another car maker it just isn't done.

A story I found
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/us-wants-indias-fighter-jet-order-dangles-f35-carrot/45214-3.html

They wont do it. They'll end up selling them F-18s though but that also remains to be seen and moreover export version of F-35s (except UK ones) are going to be way downgraded

They wont do it because the Indian Air Force uses mostly Russian and French Aircraft. Adding US technology would create logistics problems up the wazoo. Its not just the aircraft itself but the spare parts, weapons, fuel, specialized support equipment, etc. It would turn the Indian AirForce into a giant K-MART of aircraft and aircraft accessories.

Add the fact the the Indian Navy just bought in January a dozen or so MiG-29KUB for its carrier force.

Mostly likely they'll stick with Russian equipment ...

Last edited:
Russian equippment

Hi mmarsh
I know there AF is mostly Russian and French but wouldn't this be a good way to break into a American made aircraft type? Think of the Jaguars, and the Mig-27 types that could be dropped in the attack/strike role and in the fighter role Mig-21/93's. The F/A-18 could do the same thing for them and I hope your right and they go down that path. If they wanted to cut maintenance cost a little going with a Block-60/70 Viper, single engine might be the way to go. If India picked the Hornet they would have three twin engine fighters to maintain plus 50/60 Mirage 2000s. Can you imagine the fuel cost per year for three twin engine fighters. They should have taken the Mirage 2000-5 offer five years ago, low maintenance single engine jets that perform well. The bulk of Pakistan's AF are still Mirage III's upgrades and A & B model Vipers. The Mirage 2000-5 would have matched up well enough against those types for years to come. Plus it would have given them a high rated missile in the MICA. I guess the French priced themselves out again or the Indians can't decide.

Sure it would be, but the fact fact is the Indians would have to change their entire infrastructure in order to do so. Thats a considerable extra cost.

Believe it or not they can still scavenge parts and weapons off their obsolete equipment to use in their more modern aircraft. If they bought US they would have to throw everything out.

Furthermore they will still have to keep some Russian equipment as the Indian Navy operates carrier-based versions of the brand new MiG-29KUB. To my knowledge US ordinance still cannot be mounted on Russian Aircraft (certain French can) it just makes more economic sense to stay with what they got.

As for the Mirage-2000-5, France has stopped offering that plane as of March. All exports are focused on the Dessault Rafale which is being offered to the Indians at the same price as the Mirage-2000. The Rafale is very similar to the F-18F and since India already operates a few Mirage-2000s (swap parts) it makes more sense to go with the Rafale more than the F-18 or the Viper.

Remember the Viper is not a 5th Generation fighter (even the Block 70 which is an export version). We are still talking about an airframe that was designed in the late 1960s. So its not as sought after as the newer Eurofighter, Rafale, Gripen, F-35, F-22, MiG-35 etc. If the Indians were really after US tech, I would think they would make a bid for the F-35 the moment its production ready. Also keep in mind India main enemy Pakistan already operates the F-16, they may not want to operate the same aircraft as an enemy for IFF reasons.

But honestly I think they go with the MIG-35 (or some other MiG-29 varient), It just makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Indian AF

Infrastructure would change going with the F-35 like it would going with any American fighters type for India I agree 100%. Huge up front cost new training of maintenance personnel the whole nine yards.

I mention the Mirage 2000 because when this (126 bid) started the Mirage 2000 was offered to them and some sort of production rights as well. It seems the Indian's waited too long and France closed the production lines. Then later the French making total sense began pushing the new Rafale which to date besides the French buying it themselves hasn't locked down a sale yet. I find that odd myself since on paper and mock combat training it does very well. Even currently the Rafale in 2007 years after it was designed and produced isn't marking it's own targets and still needs the Mirage 2000s or other assets. I'm sure it's a money thing because the French can build good aircraft but it's still not a finished product. It seem to be a good solid five years behind where it should be at this point. What I mean as future customer don't tell me about a future system or radar, engine, etc, do it. The aircraft is operating in a combat zone which is always a good selling point for any aircraft of weapons system but the aircraft it's replacing is still helping it.
I agree 110% that India should go with the Mig-35 but do it fast. commit to it right away and get involved in it's final design and production. India going to build or at least bought rights to produce the Russian D-33 engine I assume it's the same in the Mig-29 KUB and K models there buying. I think if chosen India will try and make the Mig-35 a mini MKI, which isn't a bad thing. I can never seem to find it anywhere is what the maintenance differences between the Flanker and Fulcrum? I thought India at start of this 126 aircraft bid was looking for a Mig-21 replacement. Maintenance and operational cost going with a mid size fighter wise compared to a single engine fighter that your trying to replace is going to be massive. I think the replacing the Mig-21 thinking has changed at this point and that's basically thrown out the window now.

Sukhoi aircraft along with Shiny new American 5th generation mulitrole aircraft?

Thats, well, pretty formidable in my eyes.

The low mobility for a modern Sukhoi aircraft along with the stealth and versatility of a F 35 Lighting ll, (no longer called the Joint Strike Fighter) Will make for a diversified airforce. Harder to maintain. But think about it, they will have more abilities than with just one or two western or eastern made aircraft. Cause you can see that they kinda specialize and have different characteristics than the other.

Generally speaking.

Back