F-35 Lightning II Takes Maiden Flight - Page 2

--

December 21st, 2006  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
Hmmm...I could have sworn I saw videos of the JSF in flight on the Military Channel and the History Channel...
That is very possible. There is always a FAT article to be used as a test bed just to make sure the concept will fly. This exercise with the F-22 in Ft. Worth may have been the first time to test speed, climb rate, and G forces. I have seen a video on Military.com where a pilot takes off in a JSF and he was the first to do a short takeoff, then go to supersonic and hover and land. That was back in 2001.
December 21st, 2006  
FO Seaman

Look out, have all them UFO fantics out and about.
December 22nd, 2006  
chronoserpent

Prototypes were flown during the competition between the X-32 and X-35, that's probably what you saw, LT.

I'm guessing this article refers to a fully functional, production model?
--
December 23rd, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoserpent
Prototypes were flown during the competition between the X-32 and X-35, that's probably what you saw, LT.

I'm guessing this article refers to a fully functional, production model?

Well every model aircraft has to have a prototype in order to be a functional system.
January 11th, 2007  
AJChenMPH

Okay, so I'm not losing my marbles (shut up Sevens and TI ) -- I just saw a show on the Discovery Channel (FutureWeapons) and the footage it shows looks of the JSF flying around look awful real -- in-cockpit shots, footage of the JSF doing a vertical takeoff, etc.

FWIW, the roman year at the end indicated 2006, so I can't imagine they filmed the first flight in early December and got it to broadcast by the end of the month...
February 8th, 2007  
AJChenMPH

Bump -- I think I figured it out.

TI posted an article about the F-35's first flight; but it existed before as the X-35 prior to being selected as the JSF, and THAT's probably what's been flying around...
February 8th, 2007  
chronoserpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
but it existed before as the X-35 prior to being selected as the JSF, and THAT's probably what's been flying around...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoserpent
Yay, I win!
February 8th, 2007  
AJChenMPH

You know, I never even saw your post...sorry!