F-35: GE opens hi-tech engine R&D/production facility in Gebze, Turkey

Lunatik

It's a joint venture called "TTM", between General Electric Aviation (designer of the F135 engine) and one of Turkey's leading aviation companies TUSAS, which has experience producing the Peace Onyx I and II program F-16s of Turkey as well of some of Egypt's. The joint investment will focus on design, research and development of jet engines, gas tribune systems, engines for the defense industry, and sub-systems components development. It'll have hundreds of engineers working on the F135 engines as well as many other JSF components.

Full article: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/finance/11914161.asp?scr=1

If I recall correcltly, again, Turkey's Alp Aviation and TEI will be producing parts for both F135 and F136 engines. Turkish aviation companies will produce about 8 billion USD worth of parts for the JSF project.

F-16 also costed a fortune when it just came out of the blue prints and had only a few flying models. Guess what? It became the world's best selling firghter. Give the JSF project some time and let it mature. When serial production becomes online with many of the world's leading factories producing parts (outsourcing) and spending menhours, costs will naturally drop.

With its 9 aggressive partners and many planned orders and the project being on schedule, F-35 is in a MUCH better standing than the -almost-bankrupt Typhoon (Tranch 3). No wonder the UK wants to get out of it.

what i meant, is that it seems they have put too much money on this.
I am not sure if it's all worth that.
In the same amount of my money you can buy f-16's or f-15's or even an f-22 which are all better aircrafts.

Actually no, you can't buy F-22s unless you're the USAF. And F-35 is a lot more advanced (aka. "better") than both the F-16 and F-15, even though the latter's mission definition is a little different.

With F-35, the point has been to bring the generation factor up so that new threats (like newer generation SAMs like S-400, airframes like PAK FA, etc) can be countered. You can't stick with a lower design for a very long time just because it costs less. You have to evolve and improve in the face of changing threat environments. Spending money is a given when defense of the nation is at stake.

Actually no, you can't buy F-22s unless you're the USAF. And F-35 is a lot more advanced (aka. "better") than both the F-16 and F-15, even though the latter's mission definition is a little different.

With F-35, the point has been to bring the generation factor up so that new threats (like newer generation SAMs like S-400, airframes like PAK FA, etc) can be countered. You can't stick with a lower design for a very long time just because it costs less. You have to evolve and improve in the face of changing threat environments. Spending money is a given when defense of the nation is at stake.
You are right about the F-22, though USAF had considered in the past to sell F-22s to Israel. (just like it was with F-15s, Israel were the first country to get them outside USA).
I am not sure about the F-16, but the FY-15 is surerly better than the F-35.

Back