F-22 crashes

Snauhi

http://www.newsru.com/world/22dec2004/raptor.html
Russian site.
Translated into english.

The American fighter of the new generation Fa-22 Raptor, prepared with the application of technology Stealt, suffered catastrophe during the test base flight of USAF - United States Air force Nellis (state of Nevada). For pilot it was possible to be catapulted. It is delivered into the hospital and, according to the physicians, it did not obtain any serious injuries. As the precautionary measure flights Fa-22 are completely ended in the entire country. The representative of air base could not report, when the flights of destroyers Raptor, each of which costs more than 130 million dollars, are renewed, ITAR- TASS reports. This was the first catastrophe of the multipurpose destroyer Fa-22 Raptor, in which was used the technology, which makes aircraft unobtrusive for RLS of enemy. Incident occurred at the extremely inappropriate moment, since program Fa-22 is located on the stage of the estimated tests, which must be completed by the transfer of aircraft to the acting subdivisions of USAF - United States Air force. Catastrophe occurred in the second-half of day on Monday (on Tuesday Moscow time), but it became known about it only now. The investigation of the reasons for incident at present is conducted.

716888_20041222100024.gif

716889_20041222100024.gif

716891_20041222100025.gif

716892_20041222100025.gif

716893_20041222100025.gif

Seems to be more of a landing accident.. probably heavy landing or skidded out of the runway.

;)

the_13th_redneck said:
Someone's getting court martialled :oops:

forgive the ignorance and :eek:fftopic: but is that what happens when you wreck a plane/helo/etc... or were you just saying that cause someone screwed up with something

Remember, the first plane the US Government bought wrecked and killed an Army officer. Stuff happens. Test pilots are NOT a dime a dozen. For one thing, it may have been equipment failure instead of pilot problems. Wait until the facts are in before jumping to conclusions, conclusions always seem to be constructed at the edge of a cliff. No, the testing won't stop, that is a ridiculous statement. How can one test an airplane, especially one this cutting edge without a pilot taking it into the environment in which it was designed to operate. Loss of hardware is always expensive and figured into every military contract. Now, if two are lost, then the pilot is scrutinized if the telemetry shows the design to be sound. There is too much invested at this point and these testbed planes aren't full up finished products yet.

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has asked this already...can this be confirmed by a Western news agency that we don't have to translate and that isn't incredibly biased?

Hi,

Hmmmmmmmmm So you want the Bised western media to confirm this :D

Fighter pilot ejects from FA-22
From correspondents in Los Angeles
December 21, 2004

A US Air Force pilot escaped with his life when his FA-22 "Raptor" fighter jet crashed in a ball of flames during take-off in the western state of Nevada, defence officials said.

The brand new jet ploughed into the ground as it attempted to lift off from Nellis Air Force Base in southern Nevada at about 3:45 pm (2345 GMT), an official at the base told AFP.

"The plane crashed on the runway take-off but the pilot managed to eject to safety," the official, who declined to be identified, said.

The pilot was rushed to hospital and a safety board has been set up to investigate the crash, the air force official added.
Source

Okey here is the Right wing propoganda media A.P . who just yesterday Declared what hafl of Americans want by telephoning 700 people :roll:

Flights will remain grounded at Nellis Air Force Base through the Christmas weekend following the crash of a next-generation stealth fighter jet.

There was no immediate report on the cause of Monday's crash of an F/A-22 Raptor. The pilot ejected safely. He was treated at a base hospital and released. His identity has not been made public.

Investigators today were examining the charred wreckage at the north end of a main runway at the base, where the pilot and aircraft were assigned to the 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron.

The jet, considered the Air Force's premier fighter, was one of eight at Nellis. It was the Air Force's first F/A-22 crash.

Each plane cost more than 130 million dollars. F/A-22 Raptors nationwide were temporarily grounded as a safety precaution.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Source

Peace
-=SF-13=-

I think this was more of a case of maintenance flaw. usually that is the case when a plane barely gets off the ground before crashing.

Yeah but you know how things like this tend to go, Always the pilots fault cause it makes the aircraft look alright.

Well, technical difficulties is probably an issue here I think. The pilot is well trained, but I say it was 50/50 human error...if there was any.

Is this that same accident where the computer failed and the plane went into negative stability, and crashed on approach?

I think its pilot error, you gotta keep in mind its a multi million dollar jet, they probably triple checked everything on it before it left the hangar. Then when it was out of the hangar they re double checked it. Then they ran a computer scan while it was taxiing to the run way. I mean I dont know if they did that or not, but I would if you got that much money on the line.

Then again its always easier to blame the pilot. :cowb:

The best thing about this F-22 project is that there is no way they can cancel it cause if they did it would be riots due to how much money they spent on it. So basicly they have to get it right.

From what I read it was not pilot error but an error in computer software similar to what made the F-22 test plane crash on landing. The error caused increased pitch sensitivity that was unable to be controlled.

Another reason that I do not believe it was pilot error is because the pilot was one of the most experienced Raptor pilots and had logged over 60 hours in that plane.

Back