F-16 or F/A-18 - Page 3

View Poll Results :F-16? or F/A-18?
F-16 11 45.83%
F/A-18 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 6th, 2006  
zander_0633

Yeah, I agree! Those Migs do turn very fast and they can even perform airbrake!
April 6th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

yeah? das ist gut 8)
April 7th, 2006  
zander_0633

haha! DAnke Schon!
--
April 7th, 2006  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRALdragon
If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Alas, you are correct, I even have an example to prove your point.

A couple weeks ago I watched a show on the military channel, it was about wargames between the US Navy's best in their F/A-18's and the Luftwaffe's best flying their Mig-29's. They had several different simulations but for the most part they all showed the same thing, the two aircraft came out pretty much equal in dogfights with the Mig-29's perhaps having a slight edge, but hardly noticable. The story changed with the Hornets were able to use their long range missiles against the Mig's, the Hornets have a maximum range of 180 miles with their missiles, the Mig's range was only 108 miles, advantage Hornet. In every single one of these simulations the Hornets were able to shoot down their opponent long before the Mig's got within weapons range.

However, I could be and probably am wrong when saying this, but I think the F-16's size means that it is more maneuverable (I butchered that) than say the F-14, F-15 and F/A-18, basically more maneuverable than everything but the F-22, which uses thrust vectoring.
April 7th, 2006  
cPFC/SAJROTC

I had to go with the F/A-18 Hornet. The reason for my choice was that, while the F-16 is a superior fighter jet in general, the F/A-18 has the added safety of a second engine, and right now is being advanced to other variants, such as the F/A-18G "Growler" EW, and the F/A-18"B" 2 Seater.

The F-16, I think is a superior bird in air-to-air, air-to-ground right now, but the F/A-18 is gaining ground, and may surpass the older F-16 very shortly.
April 7th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

hmm interesting points there posters above me

I might agree that the f-16 is more maneuverable yeah.. But everything got its goods and bads..

Was there and f-16 variant called f-2 or something?
April 7th, 2006  
phoenix80

This is a weird question, just like the other one you posted about F-14 Vs F-15

It doesn't make sense at all
April 7th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

very well then
April 13th, 2006  
Skufr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordFish_13
Hi,

But Still the fact will always reamin ...... Hornet was a reject and Viper is one of the Most Sold Aircraft ...... Only reason Hornet Project was Saved .. when navy Took Up hornet and Did some Modifications ........ Other wise i am Afraid Not many would have Known it in the first place ..

Peace
-=SF_13=-
It's not quite as obvious when one have a look at why the YF-17, as the aircraft which evolved into the Hornet was known as at the time, was rejected.

The main reason was the haste introduced to the program to secure an American aircraft for the 'sale of the century', which meant that the Northrop programme which had begun later than General Dynamics was precluded from any modifications.

The YF-16 won because of the economic benefits of a single engined aircraft using an engine already in service with the F-15. The YF-17 had better low-speed handling and agility, as well as the twin-engined reliability, but it was never intended to win.

I'm not going to pretend that I know which aircraft is the superiour, I guess that would depend on which role it was intended to be used in. I would say that it would be a close race in any case.
April 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

Yf-17? Any pics? It must look very interesting!