F-15 crashes off Oregon coast

rock45

I can't find any updated information I hope pilot is alright.

June 26, 2007, 7:25PM
F-15 crashes off Oregon coast

By WILLIAM McCALL Associated Press Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. — An F-15 fighter jet went down Tuesday afternoon in the Pacific Ocean during a training mission, the Oregon National Guard said. There was no word on the fate of the pilot.
The Coast Guard sent two helicopters, two cutters and a C-130 aircraft to search for the jet about 40 miles west of Cannon Beach on the state's north coast.
The jet was from the 142nd Fighter Wing, Oregon Air National Guard and was on a training mission. It was based in Portland.
A second jet was on the mission, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Shawn Eggert, who is based in Seattle. "It stayed on scene until the helicopters arrived and then headed back to Portland," he said.
It wasn't known whether the pilot of the downed jet was able to eject, Eggert said. The pilot of the second jet told the Coast Guard that no parachute was visible, Eggert said.
The cause of the accident was not known. Skies were mostly clear with some high clouds when the accident occurred around 1:35 p.m.
The water temperature was about 58 degrees, Eggert said. The jets are usually equipped with a life boat, and pilots are outfitted in a way that "should have been enough to keep him warm out there for a while."
The training mission involved an exercise that involved four F-18s from Fort Worth, Texas, and four F-15s, Maj. Misti Mazzia said at a news conference. The F-15 pilots were getting training against a different kind of aircraft, she said.
Eggert said the Coast Guard was doing everything possible to locate the pilot "as quickly as possible and bring this guy home." The Air National Guard sent two of its jets to help with the search.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4922899.html

The training mission involved an exercise that involved four F-18s from Fort Worth, Texas, and four F-15s, Maj. Misti Mazzia said at a news conference. The F-15 pilots were getting training against a different kind of aircraft, she said.

J-10 Multirole Fighter Aircraft
http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/fighter/j10.asp
Role
Air-superiority, ground attack
Designer 611 Aircraft Design Institute, Chengdu
Manufacturer Chengdu Aircraft Company
Estimated cost N/A
DIMENSIONS
Length 15.50m
Wingspan 9.70m
Height N/A
Wing area 39 square metres
Canard area N/A
WEIGHTS
Empty 8,300kg
Typical Air-to-Air Combat 13,200kg
Max take-off 18,000kg
Fuel capacity 4,500kg
Max payload N/A
PROPULSION
Powerplant 1X Russian Lyulka-Saturn AL-31F turbofan
Thrust (dry) 79.43kN (17,857lb)
Thrust (afterburning) 122.58kN (27,557lb)
PERFORMANCE
Max level speed Mach 1.2 (sea-level) or Mach 2.2 (high altitude)
Max climb rate N/A
Service ceiling N/A
Range (without refuelling) >1,300km
In-flight refuelling Yes
G limit +9/-3g
ARMAMENTS
Fixed weapon Single-barrel 23mm internal cannon
External hardpoints 11
Air-to-air missiles PL-8, PL-12
Air-to-surface missiles N/A
Bomb 500kg laser-guided bomb
Other 90mm unguided rocket launcher
AVIONICS
Fire-control radar Type 1473 (?) pulse-Doppler radar, ~100km detecting range, tracking 10 targets and attacking 2 of them simultaneously
Other A ‘glass cockpit’ with four multifunctional displays (MFD), head-up display (HUD), GPS/INS navigations, air data computer, ARW9101 radar warning receiver (RWR), Type 634 digital quadruplex “fly-by-wire” (FBW) system, and digital fuel management system

F-18 Multirole Fighter Aircraft
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-18.htm
Power Plant
Two F404-GE-402 afterburning engines, each in the 18,000 pound thrust class, which results in a combat thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1-to-1.

Depending on the mission and loading, combat radius is greater than 500 nautical miles.

Twin F414-GE-400 engines, each in the 22,000 pound thrust class. On an interdiction mission, the E/F will fly up to 40 % further than the C/D.

Accommodations The F/A-18C and F/A-18E are single seat aircraft.

The D and F models are flown by two crew members.
The aft seat in the D and F may be configured with a stick and throttle for the training environment (or without when crewed with a Weapons System Officer).
Performance
F/A-18C maximum speed at level flight in altitudes of 36,089 ft.
Mach 1.7
F/A-18E maximum speed at level flight in altitudes of 36,089 ft.
Mach 1.6

Armament F/A-18C/D can carry up to 13,700 pounds of external ordnance.

Weapon stations include: two wingtip stations for Sidewinders; two outboard wing stations for air-to-air or air-to-ground weapons; two inboard wing stations for fuel tanks, air-to-air, or air-to-ground weapons; two nacelle fuselage stations for AMRAAMs, Sparrows, or sensor pods; and one centerline station for fuel or air-to-ground weapons.

M61 Vulcan 6-barrel rotary cannon with 520 rounds of 20mm ammunition is internally mounted in the nose

AIM-9 Sidewinder
AIM-7F Sparrow
AIM-120 AMRAAM
AGM-65E Maverick
AGM-84 Harpoon
AGM-88A HARM
MK82
10 CBU-87
10 CBU-89
GBU-12
GBU-24
JDAM
B-57 or B-61 Nuclear bomb

F/A-18E/F can carry up to 17,750 pounds of external ordnance; two additional wing store stations have been added.

Mission and Capabilities
The F/A-18 Hornet can perform both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.

Cockpit displays and mission avionics are thoroughly integrated to enhance crew situational awareness and mission capability in high threat, adverse weather/night environments.
Cockpits are night vision goggle compatible.
Multi-Sensor Integration and advanced data link capabilities further enhance situational awareness.
The E/F model will be able to perform a strike tanker mission while carrying a self-protection air-to-air missile loadout.
The E/F model will also have greater payload flexibility, increased mission radius, survivability, payload bring back, and a substantial avionics growth potential.

Gee, who might they have been training to take on?
:bravo:

DISSIMILAR AIR COMBAT TRAINING

pretty much the bread and butter of a fighter jocks job, methink you maybe reading far to much into this.

anyway, hope the pilot managed to punch out ok

China question

Hi bulldogg
An off the wall question China buys a lot of oil from Iran and have good relations with them so on so on. The US is China largest market for there goods (the western in me) plus US bonds etc. Do you think China would piss off the US and a lot of the world and sell J-10s to Iran?

My next question is would China sell J-10s to Venezuela?

I look forward to your answers:smile:

Yes. They sell weapons to Sudan, Chad, Nepal... anyone with money. The US needs China more than the other way around.

Venezuela

You don't think the US government/President would flip out if China sold a squadron or two to Venezuela? I look up once China's arms sales to African countries and also about there oil interests in Africa and will admit its larger then I thought but still not huge. Since I more of an aircraft guy I tend to judge major arms sales by aircraft sales which for China aren't that big really. There are a lot of small arms and other goodies that are Chinese made flooding the region. In some cases China sold weapons to both sides which I guess for arms dealers isn't to strange right? Anyway aircraft wise I would have thought by now Venezuela would have placed a followed up order because the number of Flankers isn't enough. There Mirage 50s are very dated and well as there old Vipers so the VAF needs a lot. By the way I think France pulled out all support on the Mirages 50S. I alway wonder why Chavez didn't buy any Mirage 2000s when Viper parts were being with held but that may be another story? Back to VAF current shouldn't they by now placed another order since it take two to three years to get the aircraft, never mind training the pilots? This might be a place and time where China might break into the South American market. The Flankers I think used the same engines or close to the engines on the J-10s, see where I'm going with this. I just don't know if China has the balls to sell Venezuela fighters in the US back yard?

Last edited:
They might run their mouth and get a bit hot about it but it won't stop the Chinese from making the deal. We sell to Taiwan don't we?? ;) And they rant about it and we do it anyway... they'll sell to whoever they please.

Hi bulldogg
An off the wall question China buys a lot of oil from Iran and have good relations with them so on so on. The US is China largest market for there goods (the western in me) plus US bonds etc. Do you think China would piss off the US and a lot of the world and sell J-10s to Iran?

My next question is would China sell J-10s to Venezuela?

I look forward to your answers:smile:

China recently converted most USD to Foreign money.

Thread change

Out of respect for the F-15 pilot and family can one of the mod's create a Chinese oil for fighters thread or something and take out all the non F-15 crash related posts, thanks :thumb:

The pilot didn't make it

Body of Oregon Air National Guard pilot found, identified

Associated Press - June 27, 2007 11:55 AM ET
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The Oregon Air National Guard has identified the F-15 pilot whose body was recovered after he crashed into the Pacific Ocean.
Major Gregory Young was 34. He was from St. Helens.
Colonel Steven Gregg, the commanding officer of the 142nd Fighter Wing, says Young was a "very talented young man with many years of dedicated service."
A memorial service will be planned, but no date has been set.
The single-seat F-15 jet fighter was lost while on a training mission yesterday over the Pacific Ocean. Young's body was found about 35 miles west of Cannon Beach.
The 142nd Fighter Wing mission is to provide air defense of the Pacific Northwest from the Canadian border to Northern California.
An investigation to determine the cause of the crash is under way.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=6717105

:-(

Official Statements Regarding F-15 Crash

Official Statements Regarding F-15 Crash
Comments provided by Col Steven D. Gregg, 142nd Fighter Wing Commander:
Good Morning,
As you know, the 142d Fighter Wing lost of one of our finest yesterday in an F-15 jet fighter mishap over the Pacific Ocean.
It is with my deepest regret that I must announce the loss of Maj. Gregory D. Young, 34, from St Helens, Ore., a highly respected officer, gifted pilot, father, and friend. We ask that your thoughts and prayers be with him and his family. We request that the public respect the family's desire for privacy during their time of grief.
The U.S. Coast Guard located Maj. Young's remains at approximately 6:10 p.m. yesterday evening in the aircraft debris field located approximately 35 miles west of Cannon Beach. At the request of Maj. Young's family, we delayed our public announcement until this morning to give his family time to notify friends and loved ones in an appropriate manner.
Our search has transitioned to a recovery operation. We are working with the U.S. Navy to determine the feasibility of recovering as much of the wreckage as possible. It is my understanding that the ocean is approximately 700-1700 feet deep at the mishap location. As has been reported, the aircraft was destroyed on impact. While the U.S. Coast Guard is on site participating in the recovery, there is the possibly that pieces of the wreckage may was ashore in the coming weeks. I ask the public that if any parts of the aircraft are discovered to please call local authorities immediately and refrain from touching them. Parts of the F-15 are constructed of carbon fiber and can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is critical that we secure as much of the wreckage as possible to assist the Air Force Safety Investigation.
We would like to highlight the inter-agency cooperation and professionalism of everyone involved in yesterday's search operation. We were able to bring every asset at our countries disposal to bear in our search for Maj. Young. I would especially like to thank the US Coast Guard for their timely response. It is my understanding that their rescue helicopters arrived at the scene of the mishap in less than 30 minutes.
My heartfelt condolences go out to Maj. Young's family for this tragic loss. He was one of our finest - a very talented young man with many years of dedicated service to our country, protection of the freedoms we enjoy today. The 142nd Fighter Wing and the Oregon Air National Guard will deeply miss him.
A memorial service will be planned, but no date has been set.
Comments provided by Brig. Gen Daniel B. O'Hollaren, Commander of the Oregon Air National Guard:
Good Morning,
Yesterday, the Air National Guard lost a member of their family and the State of Oregon and the nation lost a true patriot. Maj. Young died what he was passionate about - flying and defending freedom
President John Adams once said, "Freedom is a wonderful thing...as long as you have the courage to defend it." Maj. Young displayed that courage everyday he put on the uniform of his country. Yesterday was no exception. You and I go about out daily lives because men like Maj. Young are present on the front lines and are vigilant.
The pilots that fly these jets, the men and women who meticulously maintain them and all of the support team behind the scenes, are the absolute best America has to offer. They are trained to do their job and they are superb in what they do.
But we must never forget this is a dangerous business. The nature of flying combat fighter aircraft is one that implies operating on a razor's edge because the 142nd Fighter Wing has preformed so magnificently for so long in all arenas, we may be lulled into a sense that all of this is routine and mundane. Yesterday's event confirms that it is not.
We will investigate every aspect of this flight, leave no unanswered question on the table and most importantly, learn from it. Concern for the family and safety of our operation is and continues to be our primary focus.
Please remember the family in your thoughts and prayers and respect their wish for privacy at this most difficult time.

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=6718494

Pilot had less then 2 seconds ro react

[SIZE=+2]F-15 pilot had less than 2 seconds to react before crash

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]09:13 AM PDT on Thursday, June 28, 2007

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By kgw.com and AP staff[/SIZE] Investigators believe the F-15 pilot who crashed off the Oregon Coast was flying so low he would have had less than two seconds to react to any problem that may have led to the crash.

M_IMAGE.11350fb5491.93.88.fa.d0.1cdd6615.jpg
kgw.com photo
Maj. Gregory Young as shown in a photo from the Oregon National Guard.

KGW has learned that during the dog fight simulation, Maj. Gregory D. Young was near the bottom of the altitude limits for the drill -- 1,000 feet -- when he crashed without warning.

Flying at about 500 miles per hour, he apparently did not have time to eject.

During a somber news conference, National Guard officials Wednesday described Young as a caring and talented pilot and father who risked his life to defend the freedom Americans enjoy.

The Coast Guard found Young's body Tuesday.

MORE: Crash details, body found
Young, 34, lived in St. Helens, Ore.
BIO: More about Maj. Young
His superiors said he was a brave man who loved his job and was one of the best fighter jet pilots in America.
story_arrow.gif
VIDEO: Loss of gifted pilot
"On behalf of the 142nd Fighter Wing. the Portland Air Base, and the Oregon Air National Guard, I offer my heartfelt condolences to the family of our fallen Airman. He was a very talented young man with many years of dedicated service to the protection of the freedoms we enjoy today," Col. Steven D. Gregg, Commanding Officer of the 142nd Fighter Wing said Wednesday. "He will be deeply missed by our entire Air National Guard family."

Even for the best pilots in the world, the job is always a dangerous one, Brigadier General Dan O'Hollaren emphasized during the news conference. He said flying a combat fighter aircraft requires operating on a "razor's edge."

"You and I go about our daily lives because airmen like Major Young are present on the front lines and are vigilant," O'Hollaren added.
MORE: Brigadier General: America is free thanks to pilots like Young
A memorial service will be planned for Young, who was married with children, but no date has been set.

“He was a great person... he had a great demeanor... he had a wonderful sense of humor...” said Air Guard spokeswoman Maj. Misti Mazzia, fighting back tears.

var jsVideoWidgetSize = 1; var jsVideoWidgetVideoId = 154572;
xf15_0499-t240.jpg

controller_240_ff_ready.gif

RAW Video: Coast Guard helicopter flies over F-15 crash scene

Skies were mostly clear with some high clouds when the accident occurred about 1:35 p.m. Tuesday.
More: Air Guard Wednesday 9 a.m. press statement
More: Air Guard Tuesday 4 p.m. press statement
View: Google Map of Location
An Air Guard spokesperson said the pilots are equipped with survival gear, including flairs and a floatation device.
The water temperature at the time of the crash was 58 degrees.
DETAILS: More about the dogfight simulation
Video: Press conference on search
Many Air Guard pilots are also commercial pilots and generally have more hours in the air than active military pilots, Mazzia said.
In July 2004, The two San Diego-based Marine reservists were killed when their FA/18 Hornet collided with another jet over the Columbia River during a routine training exercise.
More: History of 142nd Fighter Wing
Video: F-15's in action (RAW)

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_062607_news_air_guard_jet_crash.190b2b32.html

Back