F-111s blaze a final trail at Amberley air show

rock45

Another great one

F-111s blaze a final trail at Amberley air show
Samantha Healy
October 05, 2008 12:00am

IT WILL be a farewell blast for the F-111 today as aviation enthusiasts grab a last chance to watch the iconic jets burn up the skies over Brisbane.
A record crowd topping 40,000 braved hot conditions and traffic jams yesterday for the Defence Force Air Show at Amberley, in Ipswich, which ends this afternoon.
RAAF Amberley Air Show team leader Simon Paton said there was a sense of nostalgia in the air.
"The F-111 will retire in 2010, so essentially it's performing its last RAAF Amberley display," Squadron Leader Paton said.
"I suspect, for most people, they recognise this will be their last chance to see the F-111s on display at Amberley and that has brought more people out.
"It is a pretty important milestone . . . the F-111 has been a mainstay here for 40 years and part of Australia's airstrike capabilities since the 1970s.
"It's an impressive piece of machinery, a popular and respected aircraft for Queenslanders all over."
The iconic strike jet -- a major drawcard at Brisbane's Riverfire -- will remain in the RAAF's arsenal but will soon be replaced by twin-seater F-18 Super Hornets, which are expected to be on display at next year's air show.
Ipswich eight-year-old Tamika Henderson yesterday trialled the new Super Hornet flight simulator -- with US Navy pilot Jeff Creighan instructing.
"It's like a giant video game," Tamika said. "It's so cool."
Weapons Systems Officer Creighan, who has completed two combat missions in Super Hornets in Iraq and Afghanistan, said "it blows my mind every time I go up in this thing".
"It's phenomenal. The best job in the world," he said. "The public will be equally impressed by this for sure."
Yesterday's crowd was captivated by death-defying stunts and a spectacular F-111 display, which included the now-famous low-level "dump and burn".
Bradley Holland, 4, from Burleigh Heads, sat on his dad Matthew's shoulders to get a better look.
"I really liked the F-111 and the big candle (afterburn) on the end," Bradley said.

Link
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24447181-3102,00.html

Last edited:
Back