Eye Trouble?

Hutch

I have had bad vision for as long as I've been alive. I have wore glasses from the age of 5 and got my first set of contacts at the age of 15. Since I have the hopes of joining the Marine and being a Marine officer I have been worrying about my eyesight. What is the worst eyesight that the Marines will accept? Is it 20/20? Also does anyone know how bad your eyes have to be in order to not be 20/20 correctible? If my eyes were too bad to correct to 20/20 (or the minimum req) could I have a eye surgery and still be accepted into the Marines? Please give me a little info if you can.

Check with the Marine Recruiter in your area. If he doesn't have the information he can and will get it for you.

Interesting bit of info for you.

I have had *cringes* bi-focals at the age of four. I managed to get rid of those when I was 14, when I was 15 I also got contacts, my vision was not a problem for either the Army or the Marines, the Navy said I could not join though to which I kind of responded "WTF?" because they called to tell me I couldn't join AFTER I had checked out the Air Force, Army and Marines and decided to avoid the Navy like a plague.

Anyways, long story short, I got in without a problem, one of my buddies joined the Army with me. He went down to Georgia, after 7 days he found out he had something in his eyes that might cause him to possible lose his vision someday down the road. (This is why the Army can't meet their quotas.) On the tenth day he signed the paperwork so he could go back home and 65 days later he was home at last. Spent 75 days down in Georgia and it was all for nothing, I tore my ACL and was kicked out six days before going to basic.

Now, it looks doubtful that he will be able to enlist in the Army BUT the Marines have told him that he can join, so if he can get into the Marines I will go to. I already decided against the Marines, that whole swimming with a 70 lbs. pack thing that, well, it scares the hell out of me much more than the thought of jumping out of an air plane with five days worth of supplies into an area surrounded by enemies. Let's just say I am hoping that the Army decides they will take him back, with the way things are going you never know.

Back