Expensive Cages

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
A lot of "rugged individualism" advocates here and one needs to go no further than Hong Kong to see it. Though a part of China now, it has its own rules and before the Chinese takeover, it was considered a purely capitalist city by many.

http://www.bigwhiteguy.com/archive/2009/08/expensive_cages/

These people do not live off welfare or anything of that sort. A lot of people who live here are old folks who simply don't have many options left and are abandoned by their families (or have no families). And yes, they all have some kind of job.

Geez alive! :( that's horrible. Maybe somebody from West needs to partner with somebody from there to develop a corporation for low-income home (or a few homes).

The cost of land in Hong Kong is insane... it's a very small place full of very rich people. But when people come to me and lecture about "rugged individualism" and "survival of the fittest" and all that crap there is a reason why I can't for the life of me accept it in its purest form. There are folks who have just missed out and have been swept aside in the wake of the advancement of the world. Many of these folks were good members of society at some point. What if some kind of tech comes along, obsoletes your skill and you're 44 years old? Go to school? With what money? And to learn what new skill that will hire a 45 or 46 year old person with no job experience in that field?
Do you think a corporation would want to hire them? They're just not very profitable and they'll be stuck with menial street sweeping and trash collecting jobs pretty much forever.
The only entity that can hire people, put them to work in an organized fashion and give them some sort of housing and food and operate on a loss and still stay in business is the government.

A NPO providing low income housing usually do access funding from the government but if Hong Kong doesn't offer such monies then I can see why those people are where they are and that does make the HK govt look terrible. I think over all, their idea of *honor* and *respect* must be more for money than their people. :-(

Back