EXCLUSIVE: David Beckham Will Sign With U.S. Team

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/print?id=2786923

Soccer Star to 'Bend It' With Los Angeles Galaxy

Jan. 11, 2007 — - International soccer superstar David Beckham is coming to America to play for a U.S. Major League Soccer team.
The U.K.-born Beckham, 31, will sign with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
"I've played now for two of the biggest clubs in the world. I've played at the highest level for 15 years, and now I think I need another challenge," Beckham said.
The announcement has the sports world buzzing.
"David Beckham coming to the United States is … [like] Tiger Woods meeting Brad Pitt on the red carpet," said USA Today sports columnist Christine Brennan. "This transcends sports. This is a big, big deal."
Outside the United States, Beckham is not only the world's biggest sports star, but also a certified sex symbol. His moves off the field are followed just as closely as his moves on the field.

He is married to former Spice Girl Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham, and the couple is a favorite target of the British paparazzi.
And companies know that. He's received $20 million a year to push Pepsi and Adidas, and his Adidas cleats fetch $450 a pair.
In the United States, he's not a household name -- at least not yet.
But media watchers are gambling that a lot more Americans will know him very soon.
"All that fame and fortune that he's amassed, which is already the world's largest snowball, is going to be rolling down the hill in the United States gathering momentum," Brennan said.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

He is well known in Europe and Asia, dont know about America, but if he wants to expand his fame, well, its his choice, but the MLS isnt like the Spanish league or the English, and there arent as much great tournaments as in Europe

Unfortunately...TI is right...Which I believe is incredibly sad. Football needs more recognition in the United States as the ORIGINAL football...Not to mention as a better sport...*cough cough*

He is well known in Europe and Asia, dont know about America, but if he wants to expand his fame, well, its his choice, but the MLS isnt like the Spanish league or the English, and there arent as much great tournaments as in Europe

I believed he was going back to Manchester United to end his career there as most players do when they're thinking of leaving - but it was a bit of a surprise. I am sure the sports gets something new with Beckham signing the contract with the new team and perhaps more interest for it across the states?

In the United States, he's not a household name -- at least not yet.
But media watchers are gambling that a lot more Americans will know him very soon.

The media forgot one important detail, it's still just soccer, unless he persues acting (which rumor has it is why he signed on with the Galaxy in the first place) he will merely slip back into his old status of "that guy that Disney made a really cheap and crappy movie about but nobody actually knows who he is."

The media forgot one important detail, it's still just soccer, unless he persues acting (which rumor has it is why he signed on with the Galaxy in the first place) he will merely slip back into his old status of "that guy that Disney made a really cheap and crappy movie about but nobody actually knows who he is."

ROFLMAO!!!

But seriously, I still think he's a good player, and he's pretty much resigned himself to the fact that his careers ending by signing that contract.... atleast he gets a TON of money (he says that wasnt his motivation)...

I heard somewhere that he didnt want to go back to the Premiership because he might have had to play with someone other that Man U, and for sentimental reasons he couldn't bear to do that.

Back