Ex-Yankees star to have brain surgery

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Former New York Yankees star Bobby Murcer was set to have surgery Thursday to remove a brain tumor, the Daily News reported.
The 60-year-old Murcer, now a Yankees broadcaster, was scheduled to undergo surgery in Houston. He had been having headaches and feeling a loss of energy lately, and the tumor was discovered following an MRI on Christmas Eve, the newspaper reported Thursday.
"I'm feeling OK and we're just going to have to see what this surgery will bring," Murcer told the Daily News by phone Wednesday night. "I'm hopeful that everything will turn out OK and I'm thankful to have so many friends who are rooting for me."
Murcer was to be treated at the MD Anderson Hospital in Houston, one of the top cancer facilities in the nation, the newspaper said.
Murcer played 17 seasons in the major leagues from 1965-83 and was a five-time All-Star and a Gold Glove-winning outfielder. In his career with the Yankees, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs, he batted .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs.
After his retirement, Murcer won three Emmy Awards for live sports coverage as the voice of the Yankees.

Back