Ex-Soldier: Bin Laden Was Aided In Escape

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Fayetteville (NC) Observer
October 3, 2008
By Henry Cuningham, Military editor
A man who says he is a former Delta Force officer will appear Sunday on “60 Minutes” alleging that he was undermined by Afghan allies and U.S. superiors on a mission to kill Osama bin Laden in 2001.
The retired Army major goes by the pseudonym of Dalton Fury in the report, which airs at 7 p.m. on CBS.
Fury says that in October 2001, he and a team of Delta Force soldiers joined CIA operatives and Afghan fighters commanded by Hazrat Ali, a warlord to whom the CIA paid millions in cash.
In a video clip from the segment, Fury wears a Special Operations Warrior Foundation cap and has a thick beard. He describes Afghan forces listening to bin Laden’s radio communications: “These guys, in my opinion, were more in awe of Osama bin Laden than they were willing to kill him. ... They could almost see him and feel his presence and they just stood there with wide eyes and somewhat in awe that here is the leader of the jihad ... and they’re actually hearing his voice over the radio.”
The U.S. and Afghan fighters chased bin Laden and an estimated 1,000 al-Qaida fighters into the Tora Bora Mountains, near the Pakistan border. The United States wanted to let the Afghans fight while U.S. special operations forces provided support and directed air strikes.
“The mujahedeen would go up and get into a skirmish … lose a guy or two, maybe kill an al-Qaida guy or two and then they leave … almost like it was an agreement. ... Put on a good show and then leave,” Fury says in the video.
Fury did not like the daytime frontal assaults.
“We wanted to come in on the back door,” he said.
Apparently, someone in the U.S. government nixed an early plan to climb the mountain from the Pakistan side and surprise the enemy.
“Whether that was Central Command (or) all the way up to the president of the United States, I’m not sure,” Fury said.
Fury said the denial was unheard of.
“In my experience, in my five years at Delta, never before,” he said.
Fury believes bin Laden was injured and allowed to escape.
A Special Forces soldier told the Fayetteville Observer in 2002 that he believes bin Laden could have been captured in November 2001, but a captain on the ground would not give approval to go after bin Laden because there was no specific mission order to do so.
Fury’s book, “Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander’s Account of the Hunt for the World’s Most Wanted Man,” goes on sale Monday, according to the Barnes & Noble Web site.

Back