Ex-S Korea leader 'kills himself'

perseus

The former president of South Korea, Roh Moo-hyun, who had been under investigation for alleged corruption, has apparently committed suicide. A spokesman said Mr Roh, 62, appeared to have jumped into a ravine while mountain climbing near his home and had left a brief suicide note.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8064799.stm

This makes me wonder how many apparent suicides were in fact assassinations, and reminds me of the controversy over the weapon inspector Dr David Kelly’s ‘suicide’ in the aftermath of the Iraq war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)

Actually, good riddance.
That guy was the beacon of South Korean anti-Americanism and isolationism. Thanks to him North Korea got used to having a South Korea following North Korea's orders and he also weakened a lot of institutions like the top universities etc. because he felt it was "unfair."
I don't think it was assasination as there wasn't much of a reason to kill him off at the time it happened. The guy was under a lot of pressure and he was always a weak person. His reputation had already been irreversably tarnished for a few weeks already.

I don't think it was assasination as there wasn't much of a reason to kill him off at the time it happened. The guy was under a lot of pressure and he was always a weak person. His reputation had already been irreversably tarnished for a few weeks already.

Yes, in fact it turns out he gave a suicide note to his laywer I believe.

According to what I heard, he typed it up on his computer minutes before going outside for a stroll where he jumped.

There's diffrent ways of committing suicide....but to jump off a mountain????? ugh...that's crazy....

It's certainly surprising though. One day you're the President, the next you're falling down the face of a mountain.

It's certainly surprising though. One day you're the President, the next you're falling down the face of a mountain.

It used to be quite often in Japan. Young Lovers who couldnt be together would often throw themselves into volcanos. Sort of a updated version of Romeo and Juillette.

It was also common during the reign of Emporer Tiberius of Rome, althoug come to think of it it wasnt really suicide...Lets just say that victims were usually those who ran afoul of the emporor temper and were shown the shortcut off the mountain...:camo:

From a scene from the BBC Series "I Claudius"

Tiberius (Speaking to his Servant): "Please show my 'old friend' down the mountain pass and do take care, I fear he's going to have a terrible accident".

Japan and Korea are two societies where there actually isn't a whole lot of freedom if you belong to the society. Traditions, obligations, expectations etc. It's why the suicide rates are so high.

It's surprising because I'm so used to seeing that guy on TV. I was in country for most of his presidency.

People being found of for their 'corruption' have many a time committed suicide. I don't think its that far fetched. He probably thought of impending charges being brought against him, being bogged down in a national trial, his whole life under the microscope. I don't think he was assassinated. People hardly get assassinated after they leave office, they get charged with a crime instead.

Tens of thousands of South Koreans have turned out in Seoul for the funeral of former President Roh Moo-hyun, who died last week. Top officials attended the ceremony, while crowds filled nearby streets.

Mr Roh dedicated himself to democracy and he would not be forgotten, PM Han Seung-soo said in a eulogy.

Roh Moo-hyun jumped off a cliff last Saturday amid allegations, which he denied, of bribery. His death has caused immense shock in South Korea.

Some supporters say Mr Roh was investigated for political reasons. Authorities fear they may protest and some 15,000 riot police are on stand-by in case of disturbances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8073100.stm

Yeah I was there.

Was Noh Moo-hyun's investigation influenced by a political agenda? Yes. But what they don't tell you was that he was also taking part in a lot of anti-Lee Myung-bak movements as well, using his status as an ex-president to further their cause. Naturally if you try to throw dirt at the president, he and his supporters will dig up dirt about you. Turns out, what they found out was money.

Back