Everthing We Had

tetvet

Banned
Most Vietnam Veterans myself included did not want to talk about it could not talk about it about except with fellow Vets , we all had a sense of guilt we had given it everything we had but it wasn't enough , I think that Afghan vets may have some of the same symptoms , I don't know this for a fact but it could be .:bravo:

We don´t
The vast majority of us have no problem talking about our experiences. We feel no guilt. We are proud to have done a good job with our honor and dignity intact.

I wouldn't say shame, exactly, but there's one thing I wish could have turned out differently. We were setting up base camp in some small town. I was on patrol and found a fifteen year old kid, I was going to maybe get him some food, water, whatever. And he pulled out an AK and I'm sure we knew what happened next.

The "vast majority of us" are, like me, not combat troops.
I read history and listening to the tales in the VFW/Legion hall, so I know much of what they say is BS. From my experience I agree with tetvet - the guys that really were in the shit don't talk easily talk about their experiences; and the ones who weren't make up stories. After years of telling these stories they believe them to be true.

This is good conversation , I have had little / none exchange with Iraqi and Afghan vets , Vietnam vets like myself who fought during tet felt we won the war only to have Walter Cronkite tell the American people the war was unwinnable after that moral hit a low point .

I can only relate to Danish Afghan vets.
Many have told their story and written books about their experiences.
Whereas the guys who did service in the Balkans have problems today.

The "vast majority of us" are, like me, not combat troops.
I read history and listening to the tales in the VFW/Legion hall, so I know much of what they say is BS. From my experience I agree with tetvet - the guys that really were in the shit don't talk easily talk about their experiences; and the ones who weren't make up stories. After years of telling these stories they believe them to be true.

Agreed, we have our fair share of "commandos" who tell of doing all sorts of nonsense in our generation as well. It takes about 2 minutes to tell....that is one of the reasons I no longer go to the legion or VFW. 1. It seems everyone has been knee deep in dead babies formtheir tours....2. I have found that a lot of the older vets either don't embrace or outright resent us younger vets. like somehow my service is less or something. I don't need or have time for that non sense.

I know that someday a reckoning will come for me....and I will have to face my trials of the past. Someday I will try to reason with it all....for now, I have a family to raise and an obligation to my soldiers to be whole...despite the hole I know is there....

I never bothered going to the VFW meetings or anything. It always seemed such a waste of effort. I share my stories with my recruits. The goal is that maybe they'll learn something from some of the stupid crap I've done and it'll make them better soldiers.

I have never seen active combat in Afghanistan/Iraq, I was in the Falklands during GW1. The only war I have been involved in is the war against terrorists on home soil and abroad. 7 years serving whilst the ever present threat of PIRA made for some interesting duties. Being Royal Military Police, I had more than my fair share of attending terrorist incidents involving military fatalities! :(

Perhaps the interest in these stories in Denmark is connected with the fact that Danish soldiers have not been in full-scale war since 1864. There are often articles in newspapers and magazines, as well as documentaries on the TV. I see a great openness from the veterans, and also a genuine interest from the general public. The Danes are beginning to understand what it means to be a belligerent nation.

Back