Ever played american football?

American Football anyone?

• Total voters
There is a small "back stage" american football. I have tried playing american football but didn't like it. Rugby is alot better in my opinion. But the main scean is football (soccer)

AlexKall said:
But the main scean is football (soccer)

Yeah- REAL football. I've never understood why American football is called "football"

You have your hands on the ball... :?

Probably has to do with the kicking and running aspect of it. I think the name should be changed to something that suits it better, like Painball or Bloodball. And the superbowl would be renamed the tournament of the shadows because the plays are so damn sneaky.

I watched the superbowl, i didnt realise before that it is very stop start, doesnt seem as intense as rugby, where its much more flowing. I got bored thanks to an advert every 5min.

American Football seems quite interesting in terms of strategy, team coordination, but it doesn't give this constant adrenaline rush from most of the sports I've played in.

Yeah the strategys are very interesting but there was no excitement for me. Was amused watching the teams posing in the video line ups.

I know football is quick to halt, but while you're doing it, it's pretty fun. And it's very intense sometimes since you're wearing all that padding and you're hitting guys at full speed. I've had painful injuries where guys have stepped on my hands wearing cleats, but you just shake it off and go to the huddle. I always like being a lineman though. All you do is take on a guy right in front of you and try to manuever around him while getting to the ball, well on defense anyway. On offense linemen make sure no one gets to the ballcarrier. It be fun.

I only play a little bit here and there with my friends, nothing too serious. I prefer playing football (the real kind).

I was on my school's team. We had a bad coach who has several problems. I enjoy it very much. Nothing like laying out the ball carrier on the kick off. Making people scared of you is loads of fun. I scream on Kick Off doing my best battle cry. Makes a lot of opponents stop in their tracks for a couple seconds. It requires great teamwork and strategy. The friendships formed in double sessions under the hot August sun and under the lights on those Fridays nights, there is nothing like it. I'm going to miss it too.

Kenty said:
AlexKall said:

Yeah- REAL football. I've never understood why American football is called "football"

Because American Football is an offshoot of Rugby, and in the early 19th century, both of the games which later became Soccer and Rugby, were called Football. :shock:
In the mid 19th with the formal adoption of rules by both games,and in an effort to stop the confusion, the game which became rugby was give the name of Rugby Football, and the game which became Soccer was known as Association Football.
But in the US when the use of formal rules came into being for the type of rugby style football they played, there was no need to differentiate, so it kept its original name.
;)

ps, true die-hard rugby fans in Britain still refer to their game as 'football' and call the other game Soccer, never 'football'.

redcoat said:
Kenty said:
AlexKall said:

Because American Football is an offshoot of Rugby, and in the early 19th century, both of the games which later became Soccer and Rugby, were called Football. :shock:
In the mid 19th with the formal adoption of rules by both games,and in an effort to stop the confusion, the game which became rugby was give the name of Rugby Football, and the game which became Soccer was known as Association Football.
But in the US when the use of formal rules came into being for the type of rugby style football they played, there was no need to differentiate, so it kept its original name.
;)

ps, true die-hard rugby fans in Britain still refer to their game as 'football' and call the other game Soccer, never 'football'.

Interesting, never knew that. But it's probably because I'm American

Back