"even if we did, we'd never ship to Iraq..."

Duty Honor Country

Here is what I have gathered from USA Today. A US Soldier, SGT Hess, sent a request to Wisconsin matress company to get floor mats for his soldiers so they wouldn't have to sleep on the ground. With conditions like that, you can assume it was OIF 1 or OIF 2. The company is owned by a family with a Pakistani background. The response will make you all mad. Keep in mind that SGT Hess only asked if they shipped to APO addresses.

SGT Hess,

We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers
Discount-Mats.com

A simple "we don't ship to APO addresses" would have been fine. I have ran accross this problem from time to time and got no political bs like SGT Hess received. Right now, the family and business is receiving a mountain of hate mail and threatening phone calls. The family says it was an employee who is responsible for the message above.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/01/mattress_stores.html

What a nasty thing to say. Its not even political, its just plain stupid.

Its not like SGT.Hess has a choice in where the Army sends him. Withdrawing from war zones without proper orders is called desertion, and they used to shoot people for it.

Such nasty comments are better directed at those who give these stupid orders, not at those poor guys that are forced to obey them.

From a business standpoint, anybody who treats a customer (whether in, or out of uniform) like this deserves to get fired. The the owner is smart that just what they will do.

Team Infidel

I don't think so. Being a jerk is not a crime.

Last edited:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/apo.asp

Snopes has the date of the Email at this month, of this year, and while the Email is bad, and bad with no excuse what-so-ever, I'd like to point out there have been many businesses in the US who have boycotted things based on their support or non-support of the War in Iraq, hell Republicans in the United States Congress changed the name of the French Fries and French Toast for a time in the Congressional Cafeterias.
I doubt the company in question will stay in business, and rightfully so.

I am however more pissed, and want to know why the United States Army does not have proper equipment for the Troops in Iraq, as the Sergeant already found another Civilian Company to supply the Mats, I want to know why the President of the United States of America did not supply said Mats, on my dime, without Sergeants in a Combat Zone sending Emails to Civilians, and looking for Civilian help for his Troops.... instead of giving my money to Iraqis and Civilian Contractors in Iraq.
So, in the end I doubt Republicans will be in charge of the Executive Branch of Federal Government at the end of January 2009, and rightfully so.

Last edited:
I'd cry it was an employee too if my company had stepped on its :cen: like that. You are only as good as the people you hire, management and the owner are responsible for the actions of their employees. Lynch 'em.

I'd cry it was an employee too if my company had stepped on its :cen: like that. You are only as good as the people you hire, management and the owner are responsible for the actions of their employees. Lynch 'em.

I don't think its fair to punish an entire company for the transgressions of a single employee, espicially when the employee is working AGAINST the interests of the company. Other than the fact that it was a nasty comment, there is no real damage here. I would publically apologize and severely reprimand or even terminate that employee. But I thinks thats punishment enough.

Gator however, brings up two valid points. Why is this wrong and the bashing of the French and Germans considered permissiable when they did exactly the same thing.

Secondly, Why on earth is a US Army Sargent having to buy sleeping mats? The DOD gets one of the largest slices of the budget after social security and they still cannot provide $50 sleeping mats for the troops? How incompentant are these people?

we have plenty of supplies in Iraq. because it is not 1st class, soldiers will ALWAYS complain. that is our nature. DO NOT ASSUME

Pakistani family?

It says it all...

And what makes you so sure Faisal Khetani wasn't born in the USA after all the "news" and I use the term "news" liberally as it was Fox report says is "an American Muslim of Pakistani descent" your argument is about as biased as me looking at your flag and saying "hmmm Iranian must be an Islamic fundamentalist".

Last edited:
we have plenty of supplies in Iraq. because it is not 1st class, soldiers will ALWAYS complain. that is our nature. DO NOT ASSUME

Then why was this guy going through a civilian outlet for his entire unit rather than an Army quartermaster to buy equipment? This is not the first time either...

And what makes you so sure Faisal Khetani wasn't born in the USA after all the "news" and I use the term "news" liberally as it was Fox report says is "an American Muslim of Pakistani descent" your argument is about as biased as me looking at your flag and saying "hmmm Iranian must be an Islamic fundamentalist".

The difference is that I am not a muslim, am not against the American troops in Iraq and I do appreciate what they do. And the difference is that majority of my countrymen are pro-America and according to official polls 70% of them supported the removal of Saddam from power. Most still welcome a US invasion to get rid of the mullahs. Comparing me with an anti-war Pakistani MUSLIM is absurd, dude.

Last edited:
The difference is that I am not a muslim, am not against the American troops in Iraq and I do appreciate what they do. And the difference is that majority of my countrymen are pro-America and according to official polls 70% of them supported the removal of Saddam from power. Most still welcome a US invasion to get rid of the mullahs. Comparing me with an anti-war Pakistani MUSLIM is absurd, dude.

How do you know he is anti-war?

How do you know he doesnt support the troops?

Is there anything to say that his story is a lie and that it was not simply the actions of a disgruntled employee who he has since fired.

How do you know he was not born in the USA after all being of Pakistani descent does not necessarily mean he was born there in which case he may not even be Pakistani.

There is nothing in information supplied that says he is anything but an American Muslim of Pakistani descent therefore I will do the same to you and say that you are an islamic fundamentalist after all thats the stereotypical view of an Iranian isn't it?

Incidently I am not comparing you to an anti-war Pakistani MUSLIM as that would be silly I am comparing you to an Iranian Islamic fundamentalist ie using exactly the same sterotyping you have done with this character.

How do you know he is anti-war?

How do you know he doesnt support the troops?

Is there anything to say that his story is a lie and that it was not simply the actions of a disgruntled employee who he has since fired.

How do you know he was not born in the USA after all being of Pakistani descent does not necessarily mean he was born there in which case he may not even be Pakistani.

There is nothing in information supplied that says he is anything but an American Muslim of Pakistani descent therefore I will do the same to you and say that you are an islamic fundamentalist after all thats the stereotypical view of an Iranian isn't it?

Incidently I am not comparing you to an anti-war Pakistani MUSLIM as that would be silly I am comparing you to an Iranian Islamic fundamentalist ie using exactly the same sterotyping you have done with this character.

His words say whatever I need to know. Btw, you are welcome to your opinion.

His words say whatever I need to know. Btw, you are welcome to your opinion.

Here ya go I will make this easy for you, what do these words tell you that would indicate anything you have said is correct.

His Words:
A company official told the newspaper the employee who wrote the e-mail is being "'held accountable.' But he said the incendiary and threatening nature of some of the e-mails - and voicemails left at the West Allis home that co-owner Faisal Khetani shares with his parents - have shaken the family."

and just to give you a fighting chance I will give you his fathers words:
The owner's father, a Pakistani immigrant who holds U.S. citizenship, told WTMJ he was offended by the e-mail. "Whatever the person said - was not fair - should not have said that," he told the station.

So please show us the Anti-war, anti-American stance these people are guilty of?

My guess is that you cant and I would bet dollars to donuts that you probably havent even read any further than the email itself before jumping to some poorly thought out conclusion.

I feel that this is a storm in a teacup (Little weeny coffee cup for you Americans). I can't for the life of me imagine any business owner deliberately committing business suicide in such a manner considering the current situation. Pakistani-Americans may be many things, but I'm sure that they still try to operate their businesses at a profit.

I would think that it is far more likely the action of a single disgruntled employee.

Here ya go I will make this easy for you, what do these words tell you that would indicate anything you have said is correct.

His Words:

and just to give you a fighting chance I will give you his fathers words:

So please show us the Anti-war, anti-American stance these people are guilty of?

My guess is that you cant and I would bet dollars to donuts that you probably havent even read any further than the email itself before jumping to some poorly thought out conclusion.

You are more than welcome to apologize for them too. I simply cant care about what you think of this any more.

Have a very good day :peace:

Anti-War E-Mail Creates Backlash For Wisconsin Firm

San Diego Union-Tribune
January 24, 2007
By Associated Press
MILWAUKEE – An American GI in Iraq who e-mailed a Wisconsin company to ask for a shipment of some floor mats got a brusque reply: “We would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.”
The two-line e-mail response quickly circulated on the Internet and has led to threats against the Muslim-owned business and demands for a boycott.
Bargain Suppliers, an online retailer based in a Milwaukee suburb, shut down its Web site Monday and fired the unidentified employee who sent the e-mail.
Co-owner Faisal Khetani, a Muslim from Pakistan, has received threatening calls, a local TV station said. An answering machine at a number listed for the business said the mailbox was full and would not accept a message yesterday.
In an e-mail dated Jan. 16, Sgt. Jason Hess asked about getting floor mats from the company.
“Do you ship to APO addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for who ships to APO first,” the e-mail said.
A response e-mailed the same day said the company did not.
“And even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq,” said the e-mail, which was signed “Bargain Suppliers.”
In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Hess said yesterday the employee's firing did not ease his anger over the original response.
“There should be standards set and upheld (by) the company on responding politely to e-mails from whoever goes to their site,” wrote Hess, a 31-year-old Fayetteville, N.C., native who is stationed in Taji, Iraq.
Hess said he wanted some mats to cover the ruts in a concrete floor in a former parking garage or storage unit now used as a conference room.
Bloggers spread the original e-mail exchange far and wide, along with the company's address and phone number. At least one site included a link to a photograph of Khetani's home.
“It's really getting out of control,” said Sajid Nasir, Bargain Suppliers' vice president. “Our main concern is for the safety of the family. That's more important than the business.”
West Allis police said they were watching the situation but had received no immediate reports of any vandalism or threats from the Khetani family.
Sgt. Colby Howser, spokesman for the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, said it is not unusual for soldiers to make purchases on their own.
“He wasn't ordering for the unit,” Howser said. “If the unit needed to purchase something, it would be a lieutenant colonel placing the order, not a sergeant.”

San Diego Union-Tribune
January 24, 2007
By Associated Press
MILWAUKEE – An American GI in Iraq who e-mailed a Wisconsin company to ask for a shipment of some floor mats got a brusque reply: “We would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.”
The two-line e-mail response quickly circulated on the Internet and has led to threats against the Muslim-owned business and demands for a boycott.
Bargain Suppliers, an online retailer based in a Milwaukee suburb, shut down its Web site Monday and fired the unidentified employee who sent the e-mail.
Co-owner Faisal Khetani, a Muslim from Pakistan, has received threatening calls, a local TV station said. An answering machine at a number listed for the business said the mailbox was full and would not accept a message yesterday.
In an e-mail dated Jan. 16, Sgt. Jason Hess asked about getting floor mats from the company.
“Do you ship to APO addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for who ships to APO first,” the e-mail said.
A response e-mailed the same day said the company did not.
“And even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq,” said the e-mail, which was signed “Bargain Suppliers.”
In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Hess said yesterday the employee's firing did not ease his anger over the original response.
“There should be standards set and upheld (by) the company on responding politely to e-mails from whoever goes to their site,” wrote Hess, a 31-year-old Fayetteville, N.C., native who is stationed in Taji, Iraq.
Hess said he wanted some mats to cover the ruts in a concrete floor in a former parking garage or storage unit now used as a conference room.
Bloggers spread the original e-mail exchange far and wide, along with the company's address and phone number. At least one site included a link to a photograph of Khetani's home.
“It's really getting out of control,” said Sajid Nasir, Bargain Suppliers' vice president. “Our main concern is for the safety of the family. That's more important than the business.”
West Allis police said they were watching the situation but had received no immediate reports of any vandalism or threats from the Khetani family.
Sgt. Colby Howser, spokesman for the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, said it is not unusual for soldiers to make purchases on their own.
“He wasn't ordering for the unit,” Howser said. “If the unit needed to purchase something, it would be a lieutenant colonel placing the order, not a sergeant.”

Sergeant Hess needs to stop sending Emails to private companies in the United States presenting himself as the person designated to order such things then.

I'd say Sergeant Hess was no doubt merely looking for a discount, but has now started a small **** storm.
The Military perhaps trying to defuse the situation of them not having equipment that the Troops like, and some in the public maybe looking to harm an American Citizen, because an E5 in Iraq did not get his ass kissed in the fashion the E5 may have become accustomed to.

Sgt Hess' "Lieutenant Colonel" might be a friggin' douche bag like mine, which maybe why he placed the order for it. Could be just for his squad or whatever kind of group he's with.
It's not unusual for guys to order stuff from civilian sources unofficially. It's a lot easier to buy something yourself and have it mailed over rather than try to go see the guy who can talk to the guy, who can talk to the guy who can talk to the Lieutenant Colonel and hope that the Battallion Commander (or whatever his job is) approves of it, which is highly unlikely because he discourages people from using non-standard issue stuff... etc etc etc. starts sending out a questionnaire about the quality of the matting then has the company commander "observe" Sgt Hess to see if he has any signs of "emotional instability" blah blah blah and after Sgt Hess is lynched everyone forgets about the mattresses.
I could never imagine my battalion commander allowing anything that would be good for any of us. He takes things away. He never let's us have ****. Sgt Hess could be in the same situation.
Sorry for the rant.
It's been a hard month.
I hate officers.

I read the Email exchange, and it seems like Sergeant Hess was looking for a more official feel of his Email sent to the private compnay.

Sent: Tue Jan 16 3:25

Do you ship to AOP Addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for who ships to AOP first.

I'll also add that it's never a good thing to call your Lieutenant Colonel a douche bag on line while on Active Duty when you have already publicly given out your Unit.

Last edited:
Back