Even Aussies can be silly!

Ted

Finally I can start the very old debate on Political Correctness again. I came over this very silly article in the news.

Air New Zealand and Qantas have a new policy regarding unaccompanied children sitting next to men. On a flight from Auckland a man was asked to switch seats with a woman, because an unaccompanied child was sitting next to him. When he keep on asking about this, this new policy came to light.

Is it just me or do the most sown to earth people on the globe become infected too with our PC?

I don't see this as being politically correct Ted. Statistically men are more likely to be pedophiles than are women. On a flight with a small child next to them one could suppose it is possible the child could be victimised were the man a pedophile. I see this as a case of better safe than sorry and preventing a possible problem before it occurs.

So on the fact that a minute percentage of men is pedophiles, they should make airline policy? I would explode if they would ask me... Better yet, how would you react if the stewardess asks you to show her some id so she can make sure you are sitting next to your son?
I just think that policy should me made on the mainstream, and fitting the exceptions in and not the other way around.

Kids should not travel alone unless absolutely nescessary. If they do, the flight crew should take good care and keep an eye on them at take off and landing/disembarking.

Regarding this topic myself as a parent would prefer my daughter to sit next to a woman on a plane rather than a man; don't know why but it just feel right.

You people disgust me!

Everything in life should be regulated, even something as minute as where to sit on an airplane. No one is free, everyone is a pedophile, everyone is a rapist, everone is a murderer until proven otherwise. Millions of brave men died for freedom and we give it up to media scare-hype.

Are we going to outlaw eating KFC next over Bird Flu? I bet those chickens are pedophiles anyway.

Christ, I don't even know where to stop with this. YOU squatted out a kid and are such a bad parent, you don't even care to sit next to it. So you stick your kid that you don't have the responsibility to take care of next to me on the plane. I didn't ask to sit next to your brat that you yourself don't want to take care of but now he's there. But you expect society to take care of your kid since you won't. So I can't have the seat that I bought and paid for. Now I have to move because the kid you don't care enough about to actually raise might be in danger because he or she is sitting next to a man, and everyone knows that everything evil comes from men... or at least you do because you're a single mother (can't raise a kid, obviously not a halmark loving family) and to you every man is the a-hole that left you.

Awsome. F*ing awsome.

Oh, the airplane, the source of all evil. Close your eyes right now and think, think hard, about all the children you've known in your life; the sons, cousins, nephews; that have all met ill ends on airplanes. The faces just spring to mind, 10 or 20 of them I'm sure. It's happens so often I'm surprised this is the least that they'd do!

Last edited:
some already have a "family section"

Whispering I can see this being useful tool for airlines to have as long as they dont go overboard with it. I mean If a little boy is sitting in a window seat on an almost empty plane and some monster creepy looking dude comes sits next to him with a smile on his face looking at the boy, Its helpful for the airlines to be able to ask tell him to move.

On the other hand if the plane is almost full and theres no other place to sit and the clean cut businessman sits next to the kid it could turn into a hassale.

This could be useful, could be a disaster USE COMMON SENSE.

It's a load of crap. It won't last. Like every overyly PC thing in Australia a company will introduce the idea, and a few weeks later they'll "Bloody hell, we just made ourselves look so bloody stupid".

sunb! said:
Kids should not travel alone unless absolutely nescessary. If they do, the flight crew should take good care and keep an eye on them at take off and landing/disembarking.

Regarding this topic myself as a parent would prefer my daughter to sit next to a woman on a plane rather than a man; don't know why but it just feel right.
I agree with the above comment and the comment by bulldogg. As a parent, like bulldogg and I think sunb! too, we are concerned about the safety of the child and don't give a sh*t about being PC or not. It is quite apparent from the comments from WD and others that they are not parents. I don't think this is a bad policy.

Ted can you please provide a link to the article that you make reference to. As I know for a fact that the flying kangaroo will not take un-accompanied children under 12 on their flights. Please check their web site for clarification.

Rabs said:
Whispering I can see this being useful tool for airlines to have as long as they dont go overboard with it. I mean If a little boy is sitting in a window seat on an almost empty plane and some monster creepy looking dude comes sits next to him with a smile on his face looking at the boy, Its helpful for the airlines to be able to ask tell him to move.

And how often does that happen? Think of all the times you've travelled via airplane and think of all the times you've seen that situation.

tomtom22 said:
It is quite apparent from the comments from WD and others that they are not parents. I don't think this is a bad policy.

That's right I'm not a parent and I'm not responsible for your kid. You had it, you should raise it. I bought my ticket for my airplane seat and now you want me to move because you stuck your brat next to me. You want everyone else to raise your child except for you.

WD, your posts have the stink of the self-righteous indignation of the angry white man. You are not a parent and you do not know wtf you are talking about. As a father of three girls twice divorced I can most assuredly tell you there are times when a child has to fly alone and they bought a ticket even more expensive than yours. Until you are personally acquainted with the exigencies of dealing with joint custody arrangements of a child whose mother now resides over 10,000 km from you, when both you and she work full time jobs and are not able to meet in the middle I suggest you back off. No one is asking you to raise a child, this is not a law, this is a corporate policy and in the litigious society we live in today it is a wise policy.

And yes, speaking as a father of three girls every god damned one of you males is a lecherous :cen: who would molest or harm my child until proven otherwise. I trust no one until it is earned, that is called prudence.

That's fine, bulldogg, but if you really fear for your children so much you should be protecting them, not forcing society to do your job for you. Just because you decided to have kids doesn't mean the rest of us have to be punnished for your paranoia.

bulldogg said:
Oh boo hoo you have to change seats on an airplane... this is punishment??

Fine move the kid then.

This rule is an absolute nonsense and should be removed from the books rapidly after all whats next?
Statistically most murders are human perhaps we should be looking at taking that into account when making laws?

bulldogg said:
Oh boo hoo you have to change seats on an airplane... this is punishment??

That's because I'm highly against paying for something you decided to do. I didn't pick to sit next to the kid. You chose to have the kid, you chose not to fly with the kid, and you chose to sit the kid next to me. None of that has anything to do with me, therefore I will not be forced to do anything because of your actions. That's called fascism, stick a yellow star on my chest while your at it. Or maybe a baby with a red circle and line through it, that would be more apt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051209/ap_on_re_us/midway_accident

See, you have more to worry about your kid dying from plane skids! Who knows, maybe he was sitting next to a woman. Had a man been sitting next to the boy he might have been able to protect him. Now your policy has contributed to the death of a kid, good going bulldogg, there's blood on your hands!

And don't try and tell me just because the 6 year old wasn't in the plane that it doesn't matter. Every human life matters and it's all your fault! I hope you're proud of what you've done baby murderer.

Back